Fire extinguishers

Browncbr1

I have the proper extinguisher in my plane, but it's bulky, heavy, and just always in the way.  Not to mention the aluminum handle is always scraping people or things.    Also, if I needed to spray under the panel, I doubt I could aim it very well..

I was walking through Walmart and saw this extinguisher with a form factor similar to a spray paint can.   Slightly larger.  Definitely lighter than my current extinguisher and easier to stow and handle.  It says it's good for electrical and grease fires.  (Perhaps oil fires?)  Looks like it would be easier to aim in tight spaces.     What do you guys think?

IMG_1676.JPG

What fire types is it rated for (e.g., ABC)?   If the contents aren't corrosive or nasty to clean up and you're okay with carrying it around there may not be a downside, i.e., why not?

Unless a significant downside is identified it looks like a good option.

This is a potassium lactate aerosol.  May result in damage to electronics, has a relatively short shelf life, will freeze under 20F, and does not meet any ANSI/UL standards.  Other than that, it will likely work better than a dry extinguisher but not as well as Halon on an electrical fire.

• Like 2

Lots of detail about it found here... including similar competitors with modern form factors... 

https://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-AF400-Extinguishing-Aerosol/dp/B001229JCU

The Walmart price is better than the Amazon price...

I have a halon one.  Since it is hard to have a plan B at 10,000' I would stay with the Halon...

Best regards,

-a-

I have a b/c extinguisher, but it's not H3R...  I'm thinking about getting halon so as to not destroy everything else if I ever had to use it.  After reading more about the aerosol extinguishers, it seems they are really crappy and potentially make things worse.    I found a 1lb H3R for $53.  I may do that just for the payload difference of 6 lbs!

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:51 AM, Browncbr1 said:

I have a b/c extinguisher, but it's not H3R...  I'm thinking about getting halon so as to not destroy everything else if I ever had to use it.  After reading more about the aerosol extinguishers, it seems they are really crappy and potentially make things worse.    I found a 1lb H3R for $53.  I may do that just for the payload difference of 6 lbs!

The H3R extinguisher for $53 on amazon looks to be a sodium bicarb extinguisher, not halon?  The halon extinguishers look to run around $115-135 (depending on whether you want chrome or red)

Edited by jaylw314

11 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

The H3R extinguisher for $53 on amazon looks to be a sodium bicarb extinguisher, not halon?  The halon extinguishers look to run around $115-135 (depending on whether you want chrome or red)

I thought it is the same thing, but just marketed to race cars rather than aviation.. 

http://www.h3rperformance.com/support_faq.htm

26 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

I thought it is the same thing, but just marketed to race cars rather than aviation.. 

http://www.h3rperformance.com/support_faq.htm

H3R Performance offers two types of fire extinguishers: MaxOut™- dry chemical type extinguisher and HalGuard™ (Halotron 1) - clean agent type extinguisher.  

Dry chemical extinguishers are extremely messy and will leave you in a cloud inside your airplane if you discharge one in the cockpit. I would pick up a Halon and be done with it. It’s not like you will be using it everyday. I have had mine so long that I had the cylinder pressure tested a couple of times.

• Like 1

If you discharge dry chem in the cockpit, you better have O2, because you will NOT be able to breathe. I used to use that stuff all the time on small trash fires where it was too obnoxious to pull an inch and a half hose...even out in the open, if the wind blew it back to you, one would have to run away and cough to be able to catch a breath.

• Like 4

Halon is a fine fire extinguisher but if you neeed to use it in the closed environment of a cockpit then breathing O2 would be good lest you smother yourself along with the fire....Except If your cabin is on fire opening a flow of 100% oxygen isn't a perfect solution, either.  

I  don't know the best answer:  Don't catch on fire, obviously.  Or land "damn soon."  

Perhaps re-reading the chapter in Fate is the Hunter where Ernie Gann describes "a little smoke" in the cabin of his DC-4 will provide me some inspiration.  

FWIW:  I carry a Halon bottle and O2 with a quick-don mask.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Halon is a fine fire extinguisher but if you neeed to use it in the closed environment of a cockpit then breathing O2 would be good lest you smother yourself along with the fire....Except If your cabin is on fire opening a flow of 100% oxygen isn't a perfect solution, either.  

I  don't know the best answer:  Don't catch on fire, obviously.  Or land "damn soon."  

Perhaps re-reading the chapter in Fate is the Hunter where Ernie Gann describes "a little smoke" in the cabin of his DC-4 will provide me some inspiration.  

FWIW:  I carry a Halon bottle and O2 with a quick-don mask.    

Some notes on Halon extinguishers.

http://www.h3rcleanagents.com/support_faq_2.htm

On cockpit fires you typically do not discharge the whole bottle, just enough to kill the fire.

José

After going back to my plane to double check which kind of extinguisher I have, I am pleased to realize that the extinguisher I already have in the plane is in fact halon.  I had bought a BC dry chemical  extinguisher before I owned this mooney and had it sitting on my desk because I knew there was one already in the plane.  I just assumed it was the same kind of extinguisher.   

Now I just need to determine a better method for stowing it. :)

Thanks everyone one for helping me know the difference!

7 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

After going back to my plane to double check which kind of extinguisher I have, I am pleased to realize that the extinguisher I already have in the plane is in fact halon.  I had bought a BC dry chemical  extinguisher before I owned this mooney and had it sitting on my desk because I knew there was one already in the plane.  I just assumed it was the same kind of extinguisher.   

Now I just need to determine a better method for stowing it. :)

Thanks everyone one for helping me know the difference!

Craig- If you can find a mount for the fire extinguisher you have, you can attach it to the sheetmetal underneath the pilots seat, right under your legs for easy access.

4 minutes ago, N6758N said:

Craig- If you can find a mount for the fire extinguisher you have, you can attach it to the sheetmetal underneath the pilots seat, right under your legs for easy access.

Thanks for the helpful advice.    it was previously attached to the aft of the seat bottom.  I removed it from there because it robbed back seat pax space.   Also, the mount was useless because there was no real quick cam release.  I had to actually use vice grips to get it off the mount.   I'm going to look at mounting options, but due to its size, I doubt it will fit on the seat without being in the way of the seat adjustment bar.  Front of, or under, pilot seat was my initial thought.     I'm thinking about under the panel next to the wheel well now just so quick reach might be easier.   

12 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Maybe it's the picture angle, but that looks like a crowded foot well, with a loose POH also.

I relocated the POH to a shelf underneath the pilot seat. The POH was in a pocket in the foot area but at times it was annoying. The fire extinguisher bracket is attached to the tubing sections on the center console with heavy Ty-wraps. My knees are close to it but never rubbing.

José

Fire Ext. 3.JPG

Under seat storage.jpg

16 hours ago, Piloto said:

The fire extinguisher bracket is attached to the tubing sections on the center console with heavy Ty-wraps.

Not sure if locating the fire extinguisher adjacent to the most likely place for a fire to begin is optimum.

Also, ziptie loose ends should be cut off flush to reduce cuts and scratches if anyone is working under there.