Elevator trim tubes wear

Sean S

1975 M20F, manual trim. The forward and mid tubes have wear on them from contact with the bulkhead cutouts.  I am replacing them both, and noted a good but of play that I believe will just cause the same problem again. Is this play normal or is my plane missing some blocks or something to minimize this play. Quick video and photo attached.IMG_0761[1].MOV

IMG_0762[1].JPG

I can't get your video to play, however there is always quite a bit of play between the tube and the plastic bushing.  In many cases the wear sleeve moves allowing the aluminum to contact the bushing causing the wear. 0.007" is the max depth of wear.

Lack of grease and cleaning like yours are quite common.

Clarence

You have a wear sleeve on your tube, I can see it in the picture. It is like tape on the tube. Yours is worn away at the contact point. Also check your bushing it is probably worn away too so there is metal to metal contact between the tube and bulkhead.

it only takes a minute at annual to wipe the old grease off with a rag and dab some new grease on with your finger. If you do this they will last forever.

• Like 1

Pretty common on the older vintage planes to have the trim tube neglected, especially at the bulkhead back by the radio rack. Clarence referenced a SB where Mooney at one time was providing the parts to do this., Not so much now. In any event, this is one of those annual and prebuy items a non Mooney Savvy IA will miss. It doesnt take much to put some UHMW tape around the trim tube to help "protect" it, but as has been said, annual maintenance is the key to not spending upwards of 4 amus on a stinkin' aluminum tube. The play is normal, it is not supposed to be tight

14 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Pretty common on the older vintage planes to have the trim tube neglected, especially at the bulkhead back by the radio rack. Clarence referenced a SB where Mooney at one time was providing the parts to do this., Not so much now. In any event, this is one of those annual and prebuy items a non Mooney Savvy IA will miss. It doesnt take much to put some UHMW tape around the trim tube to help "protect" it, but as has been said, annual maintenance is the key to not spending upwards of 4 amus on a stinkin' aluminum tube. The play is normal, it is not supposed to be tight

Budget annuals don't always include maintenance, these pages are full of examples.

Clarence