Spots rheostat

chrixxer

Sorting out the “lesser squawks.” Dome light doesn’t work (good bulb but going to swap it for this LED), seems like a bad 5636 switch (middle pin is hot grounded to the fixture, but outside pin never gets there).

Think the spotlight rheostat is bad, too (no voltage at the sockets, per multimeter; removed one good bulb and one shell of a bulb). Want to switch to LEDs; going to try these, see which fits & works:

Option A (should fit, hopefully will have enough light exiting the business end of the spot to be usable)

Option B (may not fit, but probably a better option if it does)

I’m assuming the rheostat is bad; I’ll pull it to test over the weekend. (The one for the panel (post) lights works fine.) What’s the replacement part?

Is there a better option for LED spots?

You will want something like the PWM controller below.  PWM gives constant voltage to to LED but turns it on and off quickly so it appears dimmer. Up to your IA and hangar elves what will work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/RioRand-Voltage-Motor-Speed-Controller/dp/B00N30UK2M/ref=pd_sbs_23_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00N30UK2M&pd_rd_r=CVZZHSJPTHN5MGRCH8G9&pd_rd_w=YOnQD&pd_rd_wg=e8MKZ&psc=1&refRID=CVZZHSJPTHN5MGRCH8G9&dpID=41Cz0%2BLN5yL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

9 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

Get a bulb that will work with your existing rheostat. Otherwise, you will need to also get a pwm in order to dim.  

Not being insensitive, but I think the bulb is the least of his problems. 

See the parallel parking thread...

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

So whatcha gonna do with it? I've been debating replacing my oh-so-hot ceiling red spotlights for a while, but haven't found a good replacement.

I went the route that @Raptor05121used for his overhead lights. They work well and can be dimmed. They were a little too bright so I used a sharpie to color in the lenses some and now they are perfect. I was looking for his post but can't find it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The panel lights in my 75’ F quit working. My mechanic tells me the rheostats are fine but the transistors are shot and he cannot locate any thus far. For those of you have done it, it looks like the MaxDim, http://m.pilotshop.com/catalog/elpages/maxDimUnit.php, solves the problem. That is, discard the rheostat/transistor panel (photos attached; unit is near area of landing gear switch) and replace with the MaxDim. In other words, if I understand the MaxDim correctly, all I need for panel lights are the existing lights, the MaxDim units (3 of them; one for left side of panel, middle of panel, and right side panel), and power.

C9FDD553-2B87-4925-B397-D752DCA7CB04.jpeg

369FE934-F849-4C97-B9C4-3B07218BCEEB.jpeg