AntiCollison lighting ( can i dump the beacon )

McMooney

11 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I'm not even sure if those are legal for nav lights. But they are certainly not legal for anti-collision. There's no civilian aircraft has flashing nav lights  in lieu of an approved anticollision light system. For one thing they  have to be all white...

Interesting point as the only difference between these lights and what I have on the aircraft are the incandescent vs LED .  I'm running all stock lights now and the only white one on my aircraft is the tail light. (and the coffee grinder on the belly).  These are one for one replacement (red, green, white) with what came on my aircraft in 1965.  Just better technology and much brighter.  The flashing is a pilot controlled option.

Edited by Whiskey Charlie

11 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I'm not even sure if those are legal for nav lights. But they are certainly not legal for anti-collision. There's no civilian aircraft has flashing nav lights  in lieu of an approved anticollision light system. For one thing they  have to be all white...

Yeah, I question the legality of flashing nav lights. One of the issues is the regs have different requirements based on dates the plane goes through certification.

https://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/System Requirements/Anit-Collision Systems.pdf

4 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Yeah, I question the legality of flashing nav lights. One of the issues is the regs have different requirements based on dates the plane goes through certification.

This is what Aircraft Spruce says about the light kit WC is considering.  Essentially the nav lights shouldn't be set to flash at night:

"Can this Navstrobe 40w sextant kit be legally installed in a certificated aircraft? If so, what paperwork is needed? Would a form 337 be acceptable to the FAA, or would it need a field approval? Would I require a DER report for legal installation? Thank you 
This is a replacement bulb kit for NAV and Tail lights, and are made to meet, or exceed, the TSO requirements, but does not have any FAA approval. These lights do have an extra safety flash feature, but does not replace strobe lights on an aircraft, and these can only be in the flash position during daylight flying. NAV lights require a constant light for night flying. NAV light bulbs can be changed by the aircraft owner."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neilpilot said:

Does that mean my red belly strobe, that replaced my white/red coffee grinder, is not legal??

The fuselage mounted beacon can be red or white. But I've never  seen any wingtip strobes other than white. Have you?

10 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

The fuselage mounted beacon can be red or white. But I've never  seen any wingtip strobes other than white. Have you?

Interesting topic.  Just last night I saw a plane approaching to land with a strange flashing light sequence.  As it rolled out, I realized it was a bonanza with flashing nav lights.  To top it off, the flash sequence was odd too. It was easy to see, but the red nav light was confusing due to its position.  Was wondering if this was legal.  Had never seen this before.

That's the current problem with all this new stuff. They are not approved in that Nav flashing function. I'll buy off on a minor install, but not in the flashing capacity. What thought process did these manufactures go thru?? It's all really strange. The other problem is the tower probably said neat lights when he taxied off. :-0

-Matt

On 9/21/2017 at 10:45 PM, jetdriven said:

Those are legal for anti collision but it really is annoying to other pilots with airplanes taxiing by with strobes on, especially at night.  hazardous in some instances, actually. You can always spot a cirrus, they're mostly the ones taxiing around with strobes on.  

My 82J has only stobes on the wingtips and tail, no beacon at all.  The tail strobe also doubles as a position light.  I wish I had a belly mounted beacon so I didn't have to run the strobes all the time.  Maybe when I remove the ADF I can re-purpose the hole in the belly and mount something actually useful in its place.

On 10/5/2017 at 9:29 AM, MB65E said:

It's fine. 

But You had a red and white coffee grinder? I've never see that.

-Matt

Matt, You haven't seen a red and white belly strobe (coffee grinder) on a vintage Mooney?  They all have  (had) them unless they've been removed and changed to modern strobes.  Typical stock lighting configuration on a vintage Mooney is red/green wiingtip lights (no strobe, no white) tail marker white and a belly strobe (rotating beacon aka coffee grinder) flashing red and white.

14 minutes ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

Matt, You haven't seen a red and white belly strobe (coffee grinder) on a vintage Mooney?  They all have  (had) them unless they've been removed and changed to modern strobes.  Typical stock lighting configuration on a vintage Mooney is red/green wiingtip lights (no strobe, no white) tail marker white and a belly strobe (rotating beacon aka coffee grinder) flashing red and white.

I had the coffee grinder as well on my 75. Replaced it with strobe version in the 1990s and then the LED version last year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Whiskey Charlie said:

Post some pics of your lighting upgrades Marauder.  I’d like to see the finished product 

This is the current Whelen drop in replacement for the coffee grinder. You will need to ask kpaul @kpaulfor the strobe version (I sold him that unit when I upgraded). 

image.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MB65E said:

Guess I have not seen the  triditional coffee grinder being red and white. I remember first generation red/white strobes, but I haven't seen that bowl type glass split red/white with the 2 rotating bulbs. 

-Matt

The grinder I had was not red and white. It was red with two bulbs. The Whelen strobe I stuck in to replace it was red and white though. 

The LED version is all red. 

• Like 1