Nicest E ever?

BigAl

27 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Unfortunately everyone can drive a car but very few can fly an airplane. The demand just isn't there for old Mooneys.

Hey, we put over 50K in front of the firewall on our C a few years ago and another 25K this year for paint and a few other things.  I'd guess it is worth 45K now.  I feel your pain and share it.

$45K to sell it. But you're flying it. Totally different equation.

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Unfortunately everyone can drive a car but very few can fly an airplane. The demand just isn't there for old Mooneys.

Hey, we put over 50K in front of the firewall on our C a few years ago and another 25K this year for paint and a few other things.  I'd guess it is worth 45K now.  I feel your pain and share it.

Oh, I am not in pain at all. I expect just about everything I buy except common stock and houses to depreciate, and I ain't so sure about houses, I've never made money on one. I probably have $120k+ in a '66E but if I were to depreciate the new avionics and other improvements by just 50% and make allowance the 400 hours I've put on the engine I'd be at ~$80k which is in the ballpark and what I declare on hull insurance. (OTOH, I'm not finished. :rolleyes:)  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

"Everyone can drive" but Nobody needs a $100,000 '55 Chevy. Or a $130,000 Boeing Stearman or a $4,500,000 North American P51.

An updated, classic airplane be it a Bonanza, a Comanche, or a Mooney whose bones are essentially the same as the newest models can provide excellent transportation as well as the type of satisfaction Jay Leno gets from his impractical, obsolete cars and bikes at a fraction of the cost in mad money. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

If he drops the leading "1", then he is about right...I wonder what vref would be?

Vref is not up to date to deal the avionics and other mods and upgrades in a '66E. FWIW, Jimmy Garrison''s valuation sheet in Mooney Flyer has my '66E over $100k.   

I'll point out again that the owner did not post his plane here on MS, someone else linked it from the agent's ad. It is not smart to give the parrots who live here a price on anything.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is easy to get upside down on an aircraft.  But remember, if you buy a new one the depreciation in the first year will probably be more than you would ever spend on your own.  I think it makes sense to spend that kind of money, since you wind up with a superlative aircraft for a fraction of the price of a new one.  What doesn't make sense is spending all that and then selling it.

As someone who is slowly but surely going upside down in a Mooney, I've thought a lot about this. The three models that I can see going crazy with are a manual gear E, a J 205 and the K 252.

I like this E a lot except that its not manual gear. It looks like a solid $100K E.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't say the reason for sale...

Is the owner still with us?

If not... I can see the logic he used.

And there's that Proof, he couldn't take it with him...

In a few decades, my family will be selling a tremendous Instrument panel, with an attached fully worn out O.  

They will have instructions written out of how to dispose of it.

End of life decisions can be hard.  The years up to that point can have some fun in it.  May that Fun include WAAS approaches!  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 4

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Is the owner still with us?

I don't think so. The bird is registered to Stacey Nguyen and she doesn't appear to have a pilot's license.

Prior to her it was registered to Craig Brown in Beaumont...that's what has me interested. I need to ask around down at the airport.

No thanks on that price. My airframe is 2600tt and engine is 700 since major and new prop. Sold half and hope to sell another third. Cheap safe transport to cottages that are also free(God bless my in laws. Picked up my son in Madison Thursday and an hour and a half later watched him take his first Grouse over a point from my two year old Pointer. Value?  Priceless. Admission? Attainable.  

36 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

To answer your question, nope.  nicest E ever is mine. Why?  Because I know it. I trust it. Because it delivers friends, family and I to experiences we would otherwise never have. That can be done for a lot less money. 

This thought holds lots of value..I often thought I would like more room, more power and newer...but the real value comes in because you know YOUR current plane, you know what feels right (and what doesn't), when you look at the gauges you know what's normal and so on, you know what you have serviced and what's coming up. No way to put a price (or trade-in) price on that. When looking at vref there will never be a box to check for that option.

Back on topic..For the asking price of the E in the ad I could only imagine based on my theory of value of  intimacy and knowledge of the plane..The owner must be married to it. Yes, she sure is a "purty" bird...but wow, that's a big price tag for the E.

-Tom   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TWinter said:

This thought holds lots of value..I often thought I would like more room, more power and newer...but the real value comes in because you know YOUR current plane, you know what feels right (and what doesn't), when you look at the gauges you know what's normal and so on, you know what you have serviced and what's coming up. No way to put a price (or trade-in) price on that. When looking at vref there will never be a box to check for that option.

But truthfully, this can be had with any airplane. I certainly felt this way with my M20C. But after a couple of years I couldn't help thinking, I could have the same confidence, knowledge, trust, etc. and all with a lot more capability and comfort with a different airplane. So sold the C and bought the 252. It takes time, but I now believe I'm back at the same place I was with the C, but with the added capability of the 252. 

So if I'm in the market for an E, I'd much rather start building the relationship with this one rather than Scott's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

To answer your question, nope.  nicest E ever is mine. Why?  Because I know it. I trust it. Because it delivers friends, family and I to experiences we would otherwise never have. That can be done for a lot less money. 

You hit the nail on the head Scott. Should my J be declared a total loss, the thought of getting behind the seat of another one is daunting. The current one is setup just as I like and performs as expected. I know exactly how it behaves and as a result my muscle memory knows how to react without any thought to it, not to mention my ears having been trained to hear "Mooney Six One Zulu" without a flinch while in the middle of a conversation.

Yes, the nicest one out there is yours.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I would too. At 60 percent of the asking price. :)  Scott has a valid point, though. Like in any relationship, trust is built over time.

I think your valuation is spot on. I really doubt he gets more than 60% of what he's asking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

You hit the nail on the head Scott. Should my J be declared a total loss, the thought of getting behind the seat of another one is daunting. The current one is setup just as I like and performs as expected. I know exactly how it behaves and as a result my muscle memory knows how to react without any thought to it, not to mention my ears having been trained to hear "Mooney Six One Zulu" without a flinch while in the middle of a conversation.

Yes, the nicest one out there is yours.

why not repair yours?  you always have that option no matter what the adjuster says

13 minutes ago, acpartswhse said:

why not repair yours?  you always have that option no matter what the adjuster says

Until I found myself in this situation, that's what I would have thought. What I have learned over the past two weeks is that it's not as simple as that and there are many factors involved, cost versus value not being the only one. There's the stigma of severe damage history (not simply damage history) in the event the plane is sold, not to mention a salvage title being attached to it in the event the wing is replaced. The list goes on.