Nicest E ever?

BigAl

46 minutes ago, BigAl said:

I personally have never seen one like this. Incredible panel and paint! The engine has some time on it but impressive nonetheless. They certainly are proud of it. :o

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircWhat a piece of junkraft/for-sale/21352509/1966-mooney-m20e-super-21

What a piece of junk! Its located in Florida and we all know that means you should run not walk away from it :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Where is Super Harley?

I think this E has gone beyond Super. I'd say Ultra, but Mooney already snagged that one :lol:

I will say that I didn't see AC controls, so that E is going to be Super hot in the summer with that paint job. Other than the paint, what was done to that E would be what I would do to The Mistress if I hit the lottery. IIRC, you can add AC to an E for 30 AMU--they should have gone all the way.

• Like 1

Ha! Yeah, 1300h on the engine. Probably a cracked case. Non ADSB. Not exactly low time airframe. Talk about under water!!!

Its a nice airplane for sure, but you could get a G500 Bravo probably for that price. Probably the nicest Mooney on the market.

I'd be interested in what it sells for. I bet it's a 110k airplane. He probably has 200k in it. 

lordy!! 

-Matt

• Like 1

I think this link would be a great addition to Wikipedia under "Upside-down".  The sad thing is the owner is probably losing his shirt even if he gets his asking price.

When you look at the basics, e.g. model year, engine time, etc. the owner obviously was not concerned with resale value.  He just wanted the plane to be perfect for him.

Lesson to self about over-investing in an old (but not old enough to be a "classic") airplane.

Assuming the worst, that my J will be written off by the insurance company any day now, I've been lurking some sites (Trade-A-Plane, Controller etc) looking at some J models and nothing comes close to that price regardless of how nice the paint is. For that kind of money I could get a well equipped J of 1990-95 vintage.

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

Assuming the worst, that my J will be written off by the insurance company any day now, I've been lurking some sites (Trade-A-Plane, Controller etc) looking at some J models and nothing comes close to that price regardless of how nice the paint is. For that kind of money I could get a well equipped J of 1990-95 vintage.

Yeah....the term "expensive lip-stick on an old pig" comes to mind.  The basic hull value just doesn't warrrant all the "value added".  It is, without a doubt, a great E model, but it is still just a 66 E.

Having said that, I'm now facing adding ADS-B which in some iterations could be 25-30% of my resale value!!!  Just does not compute.

4 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Yeah....the term "expensive lip-stick on an old pig" comes to mind.  The basic hull value just doesn't warrrant all the "value added".  It is, without a doubt, a great E model, but it is still just a 66 E.

Having said that, I'm now facing adding ADS-B which in some iterations could be 25-30% of my resale value!!!  Just does not compute.

I agree with Gus, especially when you consider all of the good M20 J/K/M/R models out there for the same or less money.

As for ADSB equipment- less expensive options are out there, and they don't have to be Garmin and installed by an Avionics shop.  Example- FreeFlight RANGR Lite system is now about $2500 from Aircraft Spruce, includes everything, and can be installed by an A&P and STC 337 submitted by any IA. That one has been around for a few years.  I'll bet cheaper options will be popping up.  I doubt that any will be below $1500 all-in, though.  Just my gut opinion.

Just now, Andy95W said:

I agree with Gus, especially when you consider all of the good M20 J/K/M/R models out there for the same or less money.

I doubt that any will be below $1500 all-in, though.  Just my gut opinion.

If you read about the ADS-B units being developed for the drone market which are fully ADS-B compliant, it gives me hope that the $1000 price barrier will soon be broken....at least for my experimental airplane.  There's an on-going thread about ADS-B options started by @Marauder:  

On 9/22/2017 at 10:03 AM, Mooneymite said:

Look guys, and gals, pricing ideas may not have caught up with reality. For all our over 30+ year old M20E-Ks the model and year is not the biggest value factor. The buyer will have to factor in what she's going to spend after the initial investment. Condition, engine time, and panel are more important than model and year. 

Now, if someone is happy to drive around in a Pinto and pat himself on the back that he's only got $12 invested in his wheels and he could sell it at a profit, good for him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bob_Belville said:

Now, if someone is happy to drive around in a Pinto and pat himself on the back that he's only got $12 invested in his wheels and he could sell it at a profit, good for him. 

Are you calling my C a Pinto?  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2