Discount Garmin 430w\530w nav data base

Are there any retailers that sell the nav data subscriptions for less than full retail?

Same for a backup data card.  I was thinking if I got another data card then I can load it when an update come out and just bring it to the field.  Bring the old data card back home when I am finished flying for the day.  Does this make sense or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks for any tips\ideas.

David

Unfortunately, Jepp is the only supplier for the Nav database and they charge what they charge.  Only discount persae is buy the entire US since it is "only" an additional $65 versus buying just the E or W US at $320. 

Same for buying the datacard unless you get one used on eBay or someplace like that.  Having a second is a good idea, especially if you live any distance from the airport and forget to bring it home for the update.

I have a 2nd. datacard and use it as you suggested, but the 2nd I was going to by for the MX20 was prohibitively expensive.  I thought I could use a datacard from another supplier for the MX20 because it is similar to the one in my digital SLR, but jepp and/or garmin told me it uses a proprietary format so I would have to buy theirs.  Bummer.  So I always have the up-to-date card in the GNS430, but sometimes might make a single day's worth of flying with the MX20 out of date because even though I mean to take it out of the aircraft after every flight, sometimes I forget.  Which reminds me, I need to get it out of the plane now, while it is still in annual, because the data update was on the 10th.

Quote: 201Pilot

I have a 2nd. datacard and use it as you suggested, but the 2nd I was going to by for the MX20 was prohibitively expensive.  I thought I could use a datacard from another supplier for the MX20 because it is similar to the one in my digital SLR, but jepp and/or garmin told me it uses a proprietary format so I would have to buy theirs.  Bummer.  So I always have the up-to-date card in the GNS430, but sometimes might make a single day's worth of flying with the MX20 out of date because even though I mean to take it out of the aircraft after every flight, sometimes I forget.  Which reminds me, I need to get it out of the plane now, while it is still in annual, because the data update was on the 10th.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote: flight2000

Unfortunately, Jepp is the only supplier for the Nav database and they charge what they charge.  Only discount persae is buy the entire US since it is "only" an additional $65 versus buying just the E or W US at $320. 

Same for buying the datacard unless you get one used on eBay or someplace like that.  Having a second is a good idea, especially if you live any distance from the airport and forget to bring it home for the update.

I saw that, too, but I ended up just getting the eastern and central sections.  It was my first time buying the database, and I was surprised at how much it cost.

I have 2x 430W's. To have the crossfill function work, both databases have to be identical. I have two Aspens going in right now....of course they'll need to be updated too. For a one year subscription for the two 430's, the east only and a usb connector the ticket was $479. I find this price, Garmin's proprietary nature of data storage and the lack of fair competition completely unreasonable. Although I will say, for the money, Jeppesen has been very helpful and responsive.