M10 is on the move

N6758N

2 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Absolutely. BTW, apropos a suggestion earlier that folks need to see the new planes, a salesman from Premier AL posted on FaceBook earlier this evening that he'd flown a new Mooney 40 hours this week giving demos. He was happy tired.

And Lee will be bring it to the Summit...If he's too tired, he will call me to get it there, (I hope :) )

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

If MAPA wanted to save Mooney, it would have done so back when the Dopp bros fleeced it. This talk of buying Mooney is silly IMO, they are in good hands now, and lets let them execute their plan. The current ownership is in it for the long game, not the instant gratification. The last 2 years have validated that point alone.

Couldn't afford to purchase the brand or run it at a loss.

Didn't the Adams a500 owners attempt the same and fail?

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

Some guys get all the fun. I just hope @Amelia will let an old E driver touch her new ride. (I was going to say her long body but that would have been wrong on at least 2 counts.):rolleyes:

Mimi bought an Ultra?

20 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

If MAPA wanted to save Mooney, it would have done so back when the Dopp bros fleeced it. This talk of buying Mooney is silly IMO, they are in good hands now, and lets let them execute their plan. The current ownership is in it for the long game, not the instant gratification. The last 2 years have validated that point alone.

MAPA was no show at KOSH this year, lots of folks asked about them at the Mooney booth and the Caravan Tent. Lemonade, I guess.

40 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

Well a Screamin' Eagle may even be a step up from Marvin K Mooney.

For you and me, sure, but she's still getting used to fire walling the throttle and watching the FF gauge rise faster than the ASI. She had her turbo for decades.

7 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

MAPA was no show at KOSH this year, lots of folks asked about them at the Mooney booth and the Caravan Tent. Lemonade, I guess.

Especially the lame reason for missing this year, I'm sure Trey and Don could have gotten a few to represent the organization e.g. (Me and you Bob or many others rather than miss the, hopefully year of the comeback of pilots, Basic med, Ultra up and flying etc.) Even if it would have brought a couple of new pilots over to the Mooney camp it's a missed opportunity 

On September 22, 2017 at 4:33 PM, steingar said:

Yeah, I am definitely a Mooney booster.  Its a pretty easily bragged on airplane.  I hope they stay in business and continue to make airplanes, because they make good ones.

The E model that went in last Friday would make a compelling testimonial for how tough a Mooney is.  Mooney could capitalize on it.

Clarence

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

The E model that went in last Friday would make a compelling testimonial for how tough a Mooney is.  Mooney could capitalize on it.

Clarence

I suspect that talking about crashes, even those with good outcomes, violates the marketing industry's bible.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2017 at 1:01 PM, 201er said:

You can tell he's not a real Mooney pilot cause real Mooney pilots know the price of gas at each airport along the way.

A real Mooney pilot, yes. But I, for one, never knew or cared about the price of 100LL at the airports. I don't fly enough for it to be a concern. Availability is a problem and I landed at places where they had no self-servie pump on a Sunday.

• Like 1

I told Dr. Jerry Chen (remember him?) at Oshkosh 2014 that I'd buy a new M10J -- a 3 place retract burning JetA in a turboDiesel engine & projected to cruise at 170 knots -- if it met its specifications and cost around $500,000.   

He's gone, there's no M10J at any price, and I bought a used Piper.  

On 9/24/2017 at 4:37 PM, M20Doc said:

I may have sent pictures, a link to the LA Times article, and a note of thanks, to the Mooney factory.

I hadn't seen the aerial footage until today; it looked a lot less "bent" on the ground. But from any perspective, that fuselage was intact, and so are we.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I told Dr. Jerry Chen (remember him?) at Oshkosh 2014 that I'd buy a new M10J -- a 3 place retract burning JetA in a turboDiesel engine & projected to cruise at 170 knots -- if it met its specifications and cost around $500,000.   

He's gone, there's no M10J at any price, and I bought a used Piper.  

What's the latest on the M10? They made a big show of flying the prototype to Texas a few days ago.

On 9/28/2017 at 2:54 PM, chrixxer said:

What's the latest on the M10? They made a big show of flying the prototype to Texas a few days ago.

I'm not so sure Mooney was the one making the big show. The videos I saw were all posted by the guy doing the flying, not Mooney. I get the feeling that flying the test plane to KERV was just the easiest way to move it out of Chino as they close up shop there. 

• 1 year later...

I had the great fortune of getting to know a bunch of the mooney guys at the factory about ten years ago. Many are still there, many are gone. Some really decent people.

Some of the brilliant engineering staff is still there.

The Australian owners at the time along with the ceo were in way over their skis. After so many layoffs, false starts and other craziness, the mooney factory runs like clockwork...that is, breaks are always taken and measured in “at least” minutes, all employees left exactly on time, and a sense of urgency was non existent.

I think the last prototype, the “predator” or tiger striped mooney, was sold to someone outside of the factory for curiosity. ...the Florida museum. The molds for the older mooney’s were sold to Mexico for scrap. The workers remember how many 201s they built at capacity in glory days but by then the factory was a shadow of its former self. It went on and on...

They can open Chino, and close it. They can finally put the parachute they’ve been eyeing longingly on a Cirrus thinking that will fix the sales, manufacturing and culture challenges they have. They can bring in Chinese investors with fresh money and give it a go for a while, but sadly, Kerrville reminds me of Robert Deniro carrying his bag of baggage in “the mission’ to an unforgiving market that will never support the numbers in the US they want. Perhaps the future is aircraft in China, and like Icon, Chinese investors hope to invest their money, get IP, and get ready to sell and manufacture airplanes in China in the end. Maybe that will work...with American IP readily fleeing the country...anyone willing to place odds on the success of the m10? How will success be measured?