Manifold pressure gauge on moritze gauge

JULIUS LEE

I believe there is a retrofit kit to change the transducer. If that is not the problem, I understand there is no way to repair the Moritz gauges in the instrument panel. 

Fortunately, the MAP is not required for VFR or IFR flight (check your POH) so you can continue to fly without the gauge. 

6 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Unless retrofitted after-the-fact, the 1998 Ovation does not come with Moritz gauges.  Can you send a picture of the instrument and panel? Also, what symptoms are you seeing/experiencing besides "it's not working"?  Does the engine sound like it's performing normally?

Steveimage.png.f9faf2b5dc1bb09fab2d364f36323858.png

I check the serial number and it belong to 1999 production but the AW is registered as 1998 model. Picture on last flight while working! Also my rpm just gone too!

Engine sounds good and smooth. The digital number below the needle shows -66.66 inch mercury and the rpm showing some large number. 

2 hours ago, Cruiser said:

I believe there is a retrofit kit to change the transducer. If that is not the problem, I understand there is no way to repair the Moritz gauges in the instrument panel. 

Fortunately, the MAP is not required for VFR or IFR flight (check your POH) so you can continue to fly without the gauge. 

My mechanic call Mooney and the transducer cost $2000.00 ? Is there another solution before I spend 2K plus labor.?  Glad to know that it is legal to fly without it.

7 minutes ago, JULIUS LEE said:

My mechanic call Mooney and the transducer cost $2000.00 ? Is there another solution before I spend 2K plus labor.?  Glad to know that it is legal to fly without it.

Check your required equipment list. Pretty sure you will find it is not legal to fly without a MP and rpm guage. Some of the older aircraft do not stipulate it as a required component. 

You will spend $2k and IMO have less than a 50% chance of it working, especially with your RPM guage going as well (might be a coincidence or the guage cluster failing).  I also tried the "retrofit" version at considerable expense and time with no success. My advice is to inop the MP and RPM portion and use the EI tso versions to replace in your clock and jpi location. If not you will probably need a new panel and primary replacement from JPI or EI. 

Julius - unfortunately, Tom is correct.  Since Moritz went out of business, there is no way to have that cluster repaired or replaced...only through second-hand/un-sanctioned sources (eBay, AvionicsList, etc.).

Your alternative would be slightly more expensive, and that would be to remove that cluster and install an EDM-900 Primary engine instrument.  You'd be looking at about ~$5,000USD give or take a few to have this done, depending on the shop of your choosing, but with this move, your support would not be a problem.  Like many others on this forum, I have the EDM-900, and absolutely love it.  Your EDM-700 would be an acceptable trade-up toward the newer unit, so this would allow you to offset some cost.

Steve

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Julius - unfortunately, Tom is correct.  Since Moritz went out of business, there is no way to have that cluster repaired or replaced...only through second-hand/un-sanctioned sources (eBay, AvionicsList, etc.).

Your alternative would be slightly more expensive, and that would be to remove that cluster and install an EDM-900 Primary engine instrument.  You'd be looking at about ~$5,000USD give or take a few to have this done, depending on the shop of your choosing, but with this move, your support would not be a problem.  Like many others on this forum, I have the EDM-900, and absolutely love it.  Your EDM-700 would be an acceptable trade-up toward the newer unit, so this would allow you to offset some cost.

Steve

I check into Edm900, like it, my mechanic said it will cost me 10k plus for labor n material. Is that about wright?  How much does it cost you if I may ask. Labor runs about 6k by my mechanic. This include both input for left n right tank fuel info. He said it will take about 65 hrs.

Radiant Power (http://www.radiantpowercorp.com) bought all the intellectual property that entailed Moritz gauges.  Last time I contacted them they were either unable or unwilling to repair any of them.  The time before that they took one of my customers units in for repair, had it for a very long time, and returned it after failing to repair it.  My advice is to ditch it and put in a JPI primary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jclemens said:

Radiant Power (http://www.radiantpowercorp.com) bought all the intellectual property that entailed Moritz gauges.  Last time I contacted them they were either unable or unwilling to repair any of them.  The time before that they took one of my customers units in for repair, had it for a very long time, and returned it after failing to repair it.  My advice is to ditch it and put in a JPI primary.

I also called them ~6 months ago. They would not test or fix my unit...