Aveo engineering wing tips

2 hours ago, HRM said:

This doctor recommends this (read the posts about urine-induced corrosion):

inv50600TenaforMenPads.jpg

Honestly, I wouldn't want the relief tube.  To much solution and too invasive to my nice machine for such a simple problem.  If depends are good enough for the astronauts, then good enough for me.

...never used depends...but I have the gatorade "trick" - once.  But if I started using the gatorade trick often, then yeah - I would just go depends.  It reminds me of the NASA solution to writing in space - they spend xx mega dollars developing a weightless space ink pen, but the Russian cosmonaut program just used grease pencils.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

I like them on my 252.

How do you like them? I know you'd mentioned a fitment issue, did you ever decide if there was a speed improvement with them. Mind you just looks cool and decent lights that aren't likely to need replacement is pretty much good enough reason by itself.

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

I spoke to the guy running the Aveo booth at the Summit. He said the paperwork is still in the hands of the FAA and its just a waiting game. IIRC the price was $2500 unpainted or ~$3500 painted or something along those lines

2500$?!!! 

Where's the shut up and take my money emoji?

I was figuring for sure it would be 5k+

Edited by Hephaestus
Auto-incorrect
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hephaestus said:

How do you like them? I know you'd mentioned a fitment issue, did you ever decide if there was a speed improvement with them. Mind you just looks cool and decent lights that aren't likely to need replacement is pretty much good enough reason by itself.

I've been flying around with them for almost a year now and really like them. Unfortunately I didn't do any real speed tests before so I can't tell if I'm any faster now. It took me awhile to really learn to fly the 252. And I was in the middle of that learning when we put the wingtips on. Actually all the credit goes to JD (Southwest Texas Aviation) who convinced Aveo they needed a test plane to get the STC done for the M20K and took it upon himself to volunteer my 252 for the job.

The fitment is easily rectified and they actually fit better than factory wingtips which have to be trimmed to fit anyway.

I think they look good. The lights are great. I think they're sturdier than the factory tips, especially the lenses. I like the lights as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2018 at 6:32 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I've been flying around with them for almost a year now and really like them. Unfortunately I didn't do any real speed tests before so I can't tell if I'm any faster now. It took me awhile to really learn to fly the 252. And I was in the middle of that learning when we put the wingtips on. Actually all the credit goes to JD (Southwest Texas Aviation) who convinced Aveo they needed a test plane to get the STC done for the M20K and took it upon himself to volunteer my 252 for the job.

The fitment is easily rectified and they actually fit better than factory wingtips which have to be trimmed to fit anyway.

I think they look good. The lights are great. I think they're sturdier than the factory tips, especially the lenses. I like the lights as well. 

I didn't think they're would be any speed benefit. That's what I was told about the 201 wing tips. The Aveo tips look great, and I'd do it for appearance alone. IMO looks much more modern than the 201 wingtips with LED lights on my plane. 

• Like 2

I would have to think there is some benefit other than just looks cool.  Most likely no speed gain, but maybe climb, stability gains (most likely in landing and take off)??????

It’s hard to say. I have the sawed off wingtips on my plane and Aveo wingtips are certainly better from the aerodynamic standpoint. They should reduce induced drag a bit but also contribute to parasitic drag some. End effect may be nill with respect to speed but I would think you may gain a bit in climb rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/18/2017 at 6:55 PM, M016576 said:

Full winglets might make a slight difference in speed, and probably a noticeable difference in climb rate, as they tend to give up to 5% more lift depending on wing design and cruise speed.  I think these smaller, LED type wingtips are more for the aesthetics... kind of a two-fer, over the standard wingtip "upgrade" LASAR has sold (which is also pretty much aesthetic

I know, old thread...

I agree, there is someone making winglets for the lancair 4 and they make a big difference in climb cruise and landing.  There is a really good comparison video where they fly with and without them to show the difference.

They add more wetted surface area, which probably negates most of the gains. At FL280 in a 252 it may actually be a little bit of benefit there because you’re using the added wing area in the corner of the flight envelope where you need it. 

• Like 3