Aveo engineering wing tips

17 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

If you drink very much Chinese tea, you wil definitely need a relief tube.  :rolleyes:

I think Jose' is referring to the usefulness of these "look good wingtips" as opposed to other, more utilitarian options for your AMU's.

But isnt that why Exxon Elite made the large opening Oil quarts? Re purposing at its finest...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Usefulness of wingtips and winglets...

1) The raw end of the wing has some turbulence caused by the high pressure air passing to where the low pressure air is...

2) This turbulence interrupts the air flow over the last few inches of the wing.  Making those last few inches innefective at producing lift.

3) the last few inches are full thickness and generate full drag....

4) Adding a proper winglet, the high pressure air is blocked from passing to the low pressure side.  The thin winglet has much less drag...

5) The end result is the wing produces more lift at the cost of adding minimal drag... more lift could equate to more UL...

6) how much more UL could you gain by adding a few inches of length to each wing?

7) the cost of getting anything useful out of this mod would require an STC like any other lift or UL increasing device....

Sounds good...

It is probably easier and less costly to get a set of known wingtips from an existing Mooney design...

PP ideas only, not An aerodynamicist...

Best regards,

-a-

If I bought these for my 64 E Model it would make the rest of the plane look old. So I would have to upgrade the cowling to a LoPresti (gotta have an Italian name in there) so i would have a balanced self image. Probably glass panel would follow and a Ferrari (or maybe a Bugatti, which sounds Italian but is actually made in France, or to be a bit more frugal a Guzzi motorcycle). 

Wake me up if I start drooling.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, pinerunner said:

If I bought these for my 64 E Model it would make the rest of the plane look old. So I would have to upgrade the cowling to a LoPresti (gotta have an Italian name in there) so i would have a balanced self image. Probably glass panel would follow and a Ferrari (or maybe a Bugatti, which sounds Italian but is actually made in France, or to be a bit more frugal a Guzzi motorcycle). 

Wake me up if I start drooling.

Hah - and a super model girl friend to drive around with you in your Bugatti on the way to the airport to visit your Mooney.

your string of logic is like the old adage about not cleaning a pizza stain off the rug since then that spot is too clean!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I like these wingtips but agree that they would look out of place on an otherwise stock vintage Mooney. 

I wonder how they would look in place of my current fiberglass wingtips with weak red & green bulbs but no strobes? Price them right and i may find out!

This will be the test of "new" performance requirements.  They will definitely provide better than stock lighting.  Price point is the key.  The tips are really nice looking, but they will not make your plane faster.  They will make it "look faster".  If these are under a grand for set and lighting is improved...Why not?  If they are a grand a piece plus installation?  NOPE.

23 hours ago, Piloto said:

I still think I would rather go for the $50 pilot relief tube, I don't fly that much at night but pee day and night.B)

José

Jose with all the use of the relief tube, do you need to talk to a urologist about your prostate? :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

This will be the test of "new" performance requirements.  They will definitely provide better than stock lighting.  Price point is the key.  The tips are really nice looking, but they will not make your plane faster.  They will make it "look faster".  If these are under a grand for set and lighting is improved...Why not?  If they are a grand a piece plus installation?  NOPE.

I'd think they'd sell a ton of those for a grand. Unfortunately I don't see that happening. The lasar tips are over 3k without the lights. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Keep dreaming Scott, I don't see these selling for less than 4 AMUs plus installation and paint. Sure hope I am wrong though...

Seth, While you are at it, perhaps you could suggest they have an option of adding recognition/taxi/landing light in the forward section of the wingtip. I use the MAXX combination LED lights in the clear section of the regular Mooney “sculptured” wing tip.

db743875ee8187927cce74fb022aa308.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bennett said:

Seth, While you are at it, perhaps you could suggest they have an option of adding recognition/taxi/landing light in the forward section of the wingtip. I use the MAXX combination LED lights in the clear section of the regular Mooney “sculptured” wing tip.

And also ask them if they will be offering a "JATO" adapter to promote speeds commiserate with their speedy look.  Function follows form....or do I have that backwards?  :wacko:

:D

On 9/22/2017 at 12:08 PM, Bennett said:

db743875ee8187927cce74fb022aa308.jpg

Those look great! Do you have a model number/link/etc?

I had these installed via a 337 form. If you send me your email address I will send you copies of the 337 forms that include model numbers. I do have to say that others who have tried to have their local FISDO approve the installation of these non-TSIOed landing/taxi/recognition lights have not been successful. I have mine set to alternate via a switch in the circuit. VERY bright!

• Like 1

What goes into an STC for something like this? Load analysis involved for winglets?   Given our carry though spar and short wingspan I wouldn’t think there would be too much additional loading but some of the fancy winglets for corporate jets have active anti-loading control surfaces.  Their data suggests climb gains and fuel flow/ range gains in the double digits :wow:

I’m not sure that any small GA aircraft have had winglets be shown to provide significant efficiency gains.  If I were to save say 3-5% on fuel efficiency you could make an economic gymnasts argument that they would pay for themselves over maybe 2500 flight hours if you’re lucky.  They do look nice, however. I’m sure they’d look good on that E model in the other thread.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bradp said:

What goes into an STC for something like this? Load analysis involved for winglets?   Given our carry though spar and short wingspan I wouldn’t think there would be too much additional loading but some of the fancy winglets for corporate jets have active anti-loading control surfaces.  Their data suggests climb gains and fuel flow/ range gains in the double digits :wow:

I’m not sure that any small GA aircraft have had winglets be shown to provide significant efficiency gains.  If I were to save say 3-5% on fuel efficiency you could make an economic gymnasts argument that they would pay for themselves over maybe 2500 flight hours if you’re lucky.  They do look nice, however. I’m sure they’d look good on that E model in the other thread.  

That never works for me - I just go faster.

16 hours ago, Bennett said:

I had these installed via a 337 form. If you send me your email address I will send you copies of the 337 forms that include model numbers. I do have to say that others who have tried to have their local FISDO approve the installation of these non-TSIOed landing/taxi/recognition lights have not been successful. I have mine set to alternate via a switch in the circuit. VERY bright!

Bennett kindly sent me a copy of his 337 for this a few years ago, and that is the message I got locally from FISDO - no way.  But that was before what seems to be a bit of lightening on blocking certain kinds of upgrades.