Aveo engineering wing tips

Just now, Garryowen said:

Very nice. But they look expensive. I bet north of 4.5 AMUs when it's all said and done. How much efficiency gain do you think they would provide? A couple of knots maybe??

I don't think you'd gain any noticeable speed increase, although I'm sure they will advertise 1-2 knots.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Garryowen said:

Very nice. But they look expensive. I bet north of 4.5 AMUs when it's all said and done. How much efficiency gain do you think they would provide? A couple of knots maybe??

Probably a bit - over no wing tips at all - but surely its pretty much the same as the standard modern style wing tips.  Interestingly - only for J and before?

I wish they would make wing tips shaped like the acclaim.  Or better yet, full on winglets.

Actually - I just got LED wing tips or otherwise I would be more interested.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Probably a bit - over no wing tips at all - but surely its pretty much the same as the standard modern style wing tips.  Interestingly - only for J and before?

I wish they would make wing tips shaped like the acclaim.  Or better yet, full on winglets.

Actually - I just got LED wing tips or otherwise I would be more interested.

Full winglets might make a slight difference in speed, and probably a noticeable difference in climb rate, as they tend to give up to 5% more lift depending on wing design and cruise speed.  I think these smaller, LED type wingtips are more for the aesthetics... kind of a two-fer, over the standard wingtip "upgrade" LASAR has sold (which is also pretty much aesthetic

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

From the pictures, I don't see how they plan on dealing with the external aileron balance weight??

Clarence

I have the LASAR wingtips. The balance weights are flush with the end of the wing and do not interfere with the wingtips. These are probably the same.

6 minutes ago, Hank said:

I have the LASAR wingtips. The balance weights are flush with the end of the wing and do not interfere with the wingtips. These are probably the same.

They would have to mount the same, but the LASAR tips do not have a straight edge on the inboard side like these seem to have.  LASARs are notched.  I think it's funny that they say theirs are lighter and stonger than the factory tips.  How is that when we really don't have tips a all.  Just a flush end cap.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I just happened to see them advertised on my facebook and checked them out.  Not cheap.

2 hours ago, M016576 said:

Full winglets might make a slight difference in speed, and probably a noticeable difference in climb rate, as they tend to give up to 5% more lift depending on wing design and cruise speed.  I think these smaller, LED type wingtips are more for the aesthetics... kind of a two-fer, over the standard wingtip "upgrade" LASAR has sold (which is also pretty much aesthetic

Yah - I know those engineering rules of them.  Winglets - maybe better cruise speed/better economy - at least likely not worse if designed reasonably, definitely better climb, way cool ramp appeal.  So what's not to like?  Why hasn't someone made a winglets STC for us yet?!!  I bet it would be expensive though if they require new flight testing.

• Like 1

About 4 years ago, whwn I was looking for a LED solution for my wingtip/strobe lights, Aveo had an offering that they were on the verge of getting STC/PMA status for my Mooney and since they already had a Malaysian STC, it could even be sufficient, since that country had a reciprocal agreement with the FAA, and so on.... Didn't happen so I went with Whelen...

LASAR built a prototype tall winglet in fiberglass (I saw it last year), but to my knowledge they never built the matching side to test the effectiveness, nor to pursue an STC. Looked great! I had tall winglets on my DOVA, and spoke at length with the aerodynamicist designer. Mostly he designs sailplanes, and he told me that wind tunnel tests on the DOVA increased speed and climb performance.

3857058a95c8954aee1a7f697cf66e25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anyone going to try these out?  I got an email that says the STC will be done this fall.....
price to follow after that
http://www.aveoengineering.com/crystal-conforma-for-mooney/

The only thing missing is a set of small but very bright LED landing lights in the forward section of their wingtip. I managed to do this in my J via a 337 form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bennett said:

LASAR built a prototype tall winglet in fiberglass (I saw it last year), but to my knowledge they never built the matching side to test the effectiveness, nor to pursue an STC. Looked great! I had tall winglets on my DOVA, and spoke at length with the aerodynamicist designer. Mostly he designs sailplanes, and he told me that wind tunnel tests on the DOVA increased speed and climb performance.

You should ask again at LASAR next time you are there if they would push that concept.  :-)

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

If you drink very much Chinese tea, you wil definitely need a relief tube.  :rolleyes:

I think Jose' is referring to the usefulness of these "look good wingtips" as opposed to other, more utilitarian options for your AMU's.

• Like 1