Looking to Buy Mooney M20F or J

2000expilot

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

I'm using ForeFlight on the iPad. So anytime there's an update cycle, ForeFlight lets me know. Since I use the iPad for lots of other things outside the airplane, anytime I see the notice, I just click the button and it updates everything. This way anytime I get to the airplane, I know I have the latest charts/plates/etc. with me.

Garmin Pilot now has a "push" feature which applies updates automatically once available. The iPad has turned into a great tool but I'm still afraid that it's going to crap out just when I need it the most. Case in point, on a recent VFR trip the sun was coming right through the nose when all of a sudden the unit shut down due to excessive heat. There have been other times when it simply froze.

3 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Garmin Pilot now has a "push" feature which applies updates automatically once available. The iPad has turned into a great tool but I'm still afraid that it's going to crap out just when I need it the most. Case in point, on a recent VFR trip the sun was coming right through the nose when all of a sudden the unit shut down due to excessive heat. There have been other times when it simply froze.

I'm envious of the Garmin "push" feature. Hopefully Avidyne will have something similar soon. 

The iPad just needs to be managed like any other piece of tech. It's convenience and unbelievably long list of labor/life saving features don't come without trade off. Heat can be easily managed just don't forget about it. I use a white hand towel draped over the iPad when its in the yoke mount and in the sun. Sometimes I've used my hat to shield the iPad from the sun or take it out of the mount and set it somewhere in the shade. Also manage the memory usage. Don't have a million apps open when you intend to use it in flight. Keep it up to date.  Just a few simple precautions and in almost 1000 hours in the cockpit, the iPad has shut down exactly once and it was heat related. I didn't know how far it would go, and now I know. I've found it to be one of the most reliable "instruments" in my cockpit.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 5:50 PM, KSMooniac said:

Someone posted a link on the FB group for a GSA Auction '77 J. Looks like an IRS seizure in SE TX.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

A friend just emailed me about this. The auction is at https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitdsc/?sl=51QSCI18902001

It's definitely a fixer-upper and the current bid is $41,000. 

On 11/26/2017 at 7:38 PM, cnoe said:

A friend just emailed me about this. The auction is at https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/aucitdsc/?sl=51QSCI18902001

It's definitely a fixer-upper and the current bid is $41,000. 

It's in Beaumont... I would bet this is one of the flood damaged mooneys from the hurricane this past summer.

I have a 69F for sale.  $79,000.00  Some info:  4600 total time, 1600 hrs. on engine, 300 on a top.  2 year old paint, leather interior and the tanks were redone.  Extensive Lasar annual in 2015 with speed mods, windshield etc,    Avionics:  430W, GPSS, 8000B intercom, KX155 w/glideslope, Stec 30 autopilot, VORs, DG and GPSS for heading input, Altitude hold.  Freeflight ADSB in and out, JPI 700 egt/cyl head temps, oil temp and volt.  JPI 450FS fuel flow connected to the 430W. Cover and extras.

Elevator and gear door were replaced by previous owners.   Plane is being flown, hours will change.

Ron

559577-2398

DSCF6491.JPG

DSCF6488.JPG

Edited by N803RM
more info
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...