Looking to Buy Mooney M20F or J

2000expilot

Just now, 2000expilot said:

If anyone here has, or knows of someone who has, a 1969 or newer M20F or an M20J, priced less than $75,000, they would like to sell please let me know as I am actively looking to purchase for myself.

Why 69 or newer, do you want electric gear? The earlier models have the clean wing with more flush rivets plus and access panels, plus the near bullet proof Johnson bar gear. 

Hello I have a fantastic 1979 M20J; here in Florida.  Fresh Annual next due SEP 2018.  READY TO FLY TO NEW HOME, asking $73,750 Not sure why pictures are not showing.

MOONEY 201 SPEED MACHINE

$73,777

UNBEATABLE DEAL

N4665H  based in Fort Myers FL (KFMY) last 17 years;

Complete Log Books 3537 TT,

760 SMOH, Engine and Prop

Mechanical & Avionics 10; Paint 7, interior 5 due to Age. ALL AD up to Date, Next Annual 9/17; Compressions 78+/80

Upgrade – Renovation Program- Recent UpGrades :Mag Overhaul 5/17, Ignition Harness 5/17,Break Caliper 5/17,Gill Battery 4/17, ELT Battery 4/17, New RAPCO Vacume pump 2/17, New Windscreen 10/16;New Baffles 11/16, New Doughnuts 6/16, Gear repainted 6/16; Annual ATC 50

GARMIN 300XL IFR GPS, Map, Com w/ CDI

King IFR  KX-170B COM/NAV

KT76A Encoded Transponder

KN75 Glideslope

KMA20 Audio Pannel

KI 203/204 Glideslope

Sigtronic SPA 400 4 Place Intercom

Century 41 Autopilot 3 Axis w/ AK801 Flight Director

Precise Flight Stand by Vacume

New Kenyon Cockpit Cover 10/16

Canvas Fuel Cap Covers

Full Canvass Wing Covers

All specs are thought to be accurate, sunbect to verification by purchaser,

CONTACT Frank (Patrick) FLYNN , OWNER 239-297-0702

4665 H Inventory

1979 Mooney 201

GARMIN 300XL IFR GPS, Map, Com w/ CDI

King IFR  KX-170B COM/NAV

KT76A Encoded Transponder

KN75 Glideslope

KMA20 Audio Pannel

KI 203/204 Glideslope

Sigtronic SPA 400 4 Place Intercom

Century 41 Autopilot 3 Axis w/ AK801 Flight Director

Precise Flight Stand by Vacume

New Kenyon Cockpit Cover 10/16

Canvas Fuel Cap Covers

Full Canvass Wing Covers

All specs are thought to be accurate, sunbect to verification by purchaser,

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Skates97 said:

With the Johnson Bar you can't use the space on the floor between the seats for anything, but I haven't missed not having that space.

I keep approach plates sideways on the floor where the seats won't reach, and keep sectionals / enroutes and water bottles between the seats. Used to keep a Flight Guide there, too, before they drove themselves out of business . . . Just one of the benefits of electric gear. Not skinning my knuckles or unbuckling seat belts swinging the gear is another benefit, to say nothing if the surgery I've already had on my right shoulder (several years before I started flying).

Just now, Hank said:

I keep approach plates sideways on the floor where the seats won't reach, and keep sectionals / enroutes and water bottles between the seats. Used to keep a Flight Guide there, too, before they drove themselves out of business . . . Just one of the benefits of electric gear. Not skinning my knuckles or unbuckling seat belts swinging the gear is another benefit, to say nothing if the surgery I've already had on my right shoulder (several years before I started flying).

Approach plates? Sectionals? How 20th Century.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

Approach plates? Sectionals? How 20th Century.

Yep. A whole lot less scrolling, zooming in to read then out to see then back in again to read more.

I am learning the joys of electronic plates with geo referencing, though! Nice, but they don't update themselves, don't live in the plane, aren't always with me, and the batteries never run down (even when the plane has electrical problems).

That reminds me, need to bring the data card in from the truck and update it, so that it's ready to go when I am.

The reason for gear up landings is mostly independent of the method of moving the gear...

Cognitive distraction may be the key words to look up.

The amount of stuff that can be stored there is personal.

I keep nothing there, but a few spare pens.  Pens roll off my 20th century clip board when I neglect to store them properly...

The reason, I don't store anything there... I don't want to have to retrieve stuff from under the rudder pedals...  real or not?

Best regards,

-a-

1 minute ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'm sure electric leads simply because 11k of the Mooney's made, easy to say 80% of them were post-68

Not so, closer to 50%. Production rates were the highest in the mid '60s. I count over 5000 M20s built through the 1968 model year. http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

Yep. A whole lot less scrolling, zooming in to read then out to see then back in again to read more.

I am learning the joys of electronic plates with geo referencing, though! Nice, but they don't update themselves, don't live in the plane, aren't always with me, and the batteries never run down (even when the plane has electrical problems).

That reminds me, need to bring the data card in from the truck and update it, so that it's ready to go when I am.

Au contraire mon frère, they do update themselves. (My preteen daughter used to make $5 every other week filing Jepp chart updates in six 2" binders. She's now 44 and is the senior staff attorney for a court of appeals judge in Atlanta so I've lost my cheap labor.) I now have approach plates on 4, count 'em 4, devices connected via a FS 510 and updates are automatic from my smart phone or tablet to the GTN.

8 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Not so, closer to 50%. Production rates were the highest in the mid '60s. I count over 5000 M20s built through the 1968 model year. http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm

That’s an unbelievable number. I would have never thought that many were produced by 68. Be interesting to know what percentage are still in service.

11 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

That’s an unbelievable number. I would have never thought that many were produced by 68. Be interesting to know what percentage are still in service.

For the 5 peak years - 1964-68 the factory average just under 700 planes per year. 3482 by my quick count. By the end of next year all of those plus the ~1600 built before '64 will all be at least 50 years old. 

I don't know how many might still be flying.

By comparison, the first two years of the M20J, ('77, '78) saw 377 and 380 produced. J production never hit 200 in any year after that, in fact from '83 until the last year it was offered (1998) the J never hit 100 and was usually under 50.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Has anyone ever looked at gear ups and compared manual vs electric? Or is this one of those myths that gets repeated.

Ron Wattanja did indeed, and said that the rate of gear up was the same for the bar and the volt.  Makes sense, most gear ups aren't from the gear, but from the nut using it.

I had the manual gear C and now an electric gear K. I wish I had the manual gear in my K. Waiting for an expensive gear part to go out, is like waiting for your engine to give it up. You know it will happen, just not when it will happen, but when it does, it will be very expensive. The manual gear is just simple, solid, and virtually bullet proof. Manual gear Mooneys are often cheaper to annual as well. Verifying the gear is down and locked is as sure as if you could reach down and give the tire its self a swift tug. It's a sure thing and not dependent on indicator lights.

Once you learn how to operate it, the j-bar is very light touch and very easy to swing requiring virtually no effort.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hank said:

With my aging eyes, it's nice to be able to easily zoom in on the electronic charts to read the fine print. It's also easier/quicker to find the correct chart rather than flipping through binders. The plates that I use regularly don't get torn out of the binder from repeated use. When I'm using a sectional chart, I don't have to wrestle it open and then try to refold it over the area that's useful. I never forget to grab the latest update that just came in the mail, the iPad is always up to date. 

I can't think of a single reason I'd go back to paper charts or plates. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 3:52 PM, 2000expilot said:

If anyone here has, or knows of someone who has, a 1969 or newer M20F or an M20J, priced less than $75,000, they would like to sell please let me know as I am actively looking to purchase for myself.

I have a friend at KHVS I think it is 1979 j all electric avidyne 540 Adsb upgrade new radios not sure what kind but you can give him call  843-601-1050 Chris Printess very nice airplane sorry I don't have an email for him you could tell him I told you to call Kale McManus is my name 

19 minutes ago, Hank said:

How do you manage that? I have to update my EFB.

I use Garmin Pilot. The downloads are automatic to a smart phone and tablet. When I start the engine and turn on the GTN the latest navdata, charts automatically load from the smart phone via the FS 510. Sweet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hank said:

How do you manage that? I have to update my EFB.

I'm using ForeFlight on the iPad. So anytime there's an update cycle, ForeFlight lets me know. Since I use the iPad for lots of other things outside the airplane, anytime I see the notice, I just click the button and it updates everything. This way anytime I get to the airplane, I know I have the latest charts/plates/etc. with me.