New to me M20G, looking for stall/gear horn or parts

My four partners and I just bought a 1968 M20G. It's in a good shape, and we knew the former owner and some of us have flown in the plane a bunch before. In the (owner-assisted) annual, we so far discovered that the gear warning horn doesn't function quite well. Specifically it'll sound once for a second and then stop. 

After taking it out, we think that the relay is malfunctioning. It doesn't look like acquiring this is easy at all. On the odd chance someone here has one, I'm looking for either the relay from the unit, an Allied Controls T154X-387, or the entire Safe Flight Instruments Dual Warning Horn P/N 283. 

Any suggestions as to what my options can be, other than purchasing an incredibly expensive unit from Safe Flight Instruments?

Welcome aboard, Ilya.

See if Alan has one in his 'Mooney Crap' thread...He is carving up an M20E for dinner...

Check you POH for the wiring diagram.  I don't remember a relay being in there...  

The piezo horns are most suspect of going bad.

Do you have electric gear?  This could be why I don't remember a relay....

PP thoughts only,  not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carusoam said:

See if Alan has one in his 'Mooney Crap' thread...He is carving up an M20E for dinner...

Check you POH for the wiring diagram.  I don't remember a relay being in there...  

The piezo horns are most suspect of going bad.

Do you have electric gear?  This could be why I don't remember a relay....

It's a manual gear, so it's not a piezo horn but a pair of really loud ringers inside a box. The box also has a capacitor, transistor, a few resistors, and a relay. From our testing, the relay doesn't toggle correctly... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peevee said:

I have a safe flight switch from our k but it needs to be riveted back together. I believe it's a slightly different part, I can send pics if you want.

I am not sure if the K would have the same part. The specific part is a Dual Warning Horn P/N 283, it's a sort of a silver box with two speaker grills and seven (I think) wire connectors on top.

Ilya,

Sounds like you have 1/2 the hard part done...  (identified what isn't working)

Relays are pretty easy to swap out.  There may be a more modern one that meets the spec.

If you can't get an answer from MS, Contact Dan (?) @ Lasar.com for replacement parts.

If you consider updating to some more modern parts, Dan can probably help with that too.

Check the download section of this site.  There is probably wiring diagrams in the POH for the F (Manual gear) that may be helpful...

A service manual for the mid 60s indicates a gear horn and is a sub assembly of the parts you described...

A parts manual for mid 60s Mooneys gives a part number for a dual warning horn (stall and gear). 800185

Hope this is helpful for your next steps...

I'm only a private pilot, not offering very much other than What to probably ask for from somebody that is more knowledgeable and qualified...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Relays are pretty easy to swap out.  There may be a more modern one that meets the spec.

If you can't get an answer from MS, Contact Dan (?) @ Lasar.com for replacement parts.

If you consider updating to some more modern parts, Dan can probably help with that too.

A service manual for the mid 60s indicates a gear horn and is a sub assembly of the parts you described...

A parts manual for mid 60s Mooneys gives a part number for a dual warning horn (stall and gear). 800185

Thanks, much appreciated. I'll give Lasar folks a call to see whether they have ideas. I agree that relays are easy to swap out, but our IA is requesting the same part so for now I'm stuck looking for that. Not sure how others deal with it -- I agree that a solid state relay would probably work wonders here, but that's not the same as original equipment... and I haven't seen any STCs for that.

We have the service/parts manuals too, thanks for the note on the 800185 part number (we have the other unit from Safe Flight, listed on the same page).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ilya Haykinson said:

I am not sure if the K would have the same part. The specific part is a Dual Warning Horn P/N 283, it's a sort of a silver box with two speaker grills and seven (I think) wire connectors on top.

Huh, odd. Nope, mine is a safe flight c-46001and sounds completely different.

not my pic, same part though

http://euram.at/shop/product.php?id_product=1100

Sorry I couldn't help

I have the part in excellent condition.  Safe Flight #283.  Just sent you a PM.  You can call me at (617) 877-0025 or e-mail me at john.breda@gmail.com.  I am flying to Kerrville tomorrow.  If you will be there, I could bering it with me.

John Breda

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Developing a product in this area.  

There are sooooooo many freakin' Mooney part numbers over the changes in models and years.  I'm trying to get my head and hands wrapped around it.

The main reason for my post is to allow me to follow the thread, but expect great improvements (usefulness, quality and price) shortly.