Aspen Upgrade Pakage MFD500

MIm20c

I'm having second thoughts about a panel upgrade. I really need to invest in a new interior and keep the plane in the air as much as possible for my instrument training. I'm putting up this package for a unique buyer. One who has a Aspen pfd currently and wants to add another screen. I've been told by my installer it is a fairly reasonable/quick install. If the unit does not sell on MS or BT in the next month or two I'll probably just have it installed.  Because every C model needs a dual screen aspen :)  

This is a package deal and includes a brand new Aspen MFD500. The MFD has the adsb unlock for a Garmin transponder.  It also has the synthetic vision unlock. The SV will not work on the mfd unless the pfd also has the SV unlock. For this reason I'm also including a sealed unlock upgrade for synthetic vision on your current pfd.  This package is just over a month old and never used. Price for this package is $4500 delivered by plane or UPS, depending on distance.  

Thanks,

Chris

That would be one hell of an M20C panel. While I'm still not sure the second panel would be right for my plane, if I hadn't just gotten mine back from months in the avionics shop, I'd be a buyer here.  Best of luck.

What does your panel look like now in your C?

15 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

No pictures right at the moment but the main driving force for this display was to augment the 430w screen with this mfd screen. 

4 hours ago, Northern Mooniac said:

Hmm too bad I just bought their sv/aoa/adsb upgrade, this would have been a good deal!

I'm thinking about putting the SV on my unit. You might find the AOA displayed on the mfd vs pfd will be a lot more visible/useful. Something to keep in mind if the upgrades have not been loaded yet. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2017 at 10:13 PM, gsxrpilot said:

That would be one hell of an M20C panel. While I'm still not sure the second panel would be right for my plane, if I hadn't just gotten mine back from months in the avionics shop, I'd be a buyer here.  Best of luck.

you really would be better off with a MFD 1000, the 500 won't run reversionary with the PFD. A 500 is better as a third than as a second screen IMO (BTDT)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peevee said:

you really would be better off with a MFD 1000, the 500 won't run reversionary with the PFD. A 500 is better as a third than as a second screen IMO (BTDT)

Agree completely if both are installed at time of purchase. After the fact is similar to installing a ea100 after the panel is buttoned up $$.  The 500 is a far easier install to add on and is wonderful to complement a small screen gps/nav/com. 

@Northern Mooniac you could always ask aspen to transfer your AOA to the mfd. If they agree the display might be easier to see. 

1DF1FCD6-7F52-4872-BB60-ECFA0673001A.jpeg

I still don't see the value of the MFD500, with our without the MFD1000. How many maps with a course line do I need? As @peevee says, at least the MFD1000 can back up the PFD. And if installed as the 2nd panel and not the 3rd, it can't replace or eliminate any other instrument from the panel. I only see it as a backup to the Avidyne or Garmin panel mounted GPS. And I'm more than comfortable using a portable for that.

I'd like to know what I'm misunderstanding here...

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I still don't see the value of the MFD500, with our without the MFD1000. How many maps with a course line do I need? As @peevee says, at least the MFD1000 can back up the PFD. And if installed as the 2nd panel and not the 3rd, it can't replace or eliminate any other instrument from the panel. I only see it as a backup to the Avidyne or Garmin panel mounted GPS. And I'm more than comfortable using a portable for that.

What bothered me about our setup is we had 2 screens. The MFD wasn't a backup it wasn't great for charts. All I liked was the airport diagram on landing. It basically looked cool. It wouldn't let us eliminate the backup gyro.

If we lost out pfd we lost our only glideslope. We were down to one cdi with no gs and backup gyro.

29 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

The mfd can give you a AOA (w/ upgrade) on half of the screen, a terrain overview, approach plates, traffic display, etc at 1/3 the investment of the mfd1000 w/large battery.  Some might consider an independent backup like a L3 w/cdi display a better backup and all the other instruments could be removed.  But everyone has an opinion on what is needed and what is a good value. 

Fair enough. My thoughts are that the AOA can easily be displayed on the PFD... I'm getting mine turned on soon. And all the other stuff is already displayed on my panel mounted GPS, iPad (larger screen), phone (incase of emergency), etc. 

Respectfully, just my opinion.

• Like 1

You cannot put AOA on a MFD500 if you don't also have it on a PFD or MFD1000. If you do this you cannot calibrate it. I just got hit by this because it is not well documented and my shop did not have it in their tribal knowledge database. Aspen was unwilling to work with us and we had to buy a second AOA unlock.

5 minutes ago, larryb said:

You cannot put AOA on a MFD500 if you don't also have it on a PFD or MFD1000. If you do this you cannot calibrate it. I just got hit by this because it is not well documented and my shop did not have it in their tribal knowledge database. Aspen was unwilling to work with us and we had to buy a second AOA unlock.

Good info, I knew you could install it on a mfd1000 without the pfd but thought it would also work on the 500.