Money For 4

GaryP1007

Which model has the greatest potential to transport 4 adults? I'm wondering about trade offs on fuel and also greatest interior room. I'm looking to buy in the spring but will have a partner and he and I often travel with spouses for long weekends etc. so "4 ability" is really desired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which model has the greatest potential to transport 4 adults? I'm wondering about trade offs on fuel and also greatest interior room. I'm looking to buy in the spring but will have a partner and he and I often travel with spouses for long weekends etc. so "4 ability" is really desired.

Tried to fix the auto-correct in title to Mooney but it isn't allowing.

Agree with Brad.  Also, where are located, and will you need known-ice capability?  What is your target budget?  My first instinct is to say you'd be best-suited with an Ovation, TLS/Bravo, or Acclaim, given the room for 4 plus some stuff, but as mentioned, you're limited to less gas.  Those long trips are certainly doable, just with more fuel stops, but to address your point about room, the M20M, R, and TN have the most room.

(edited)

Steve

Agree with Brad.  Also, where are located, and will you need known-ice capability?  What is your target budget?  My first instinct is to say you'd be best-suited with an Ovation, TLS/Bravo, or Acclaim, given the room for 4 plus some stuff, but as mentioned, you're limited to less gas.  Those long trips are certainly doable, just with more fuel stops, but to address your point about room, the M20M, R, and TN have the most room.
(edited)
Steve

I'm in the Boston area. I often travel to North Carolina and Tennessee, so 500-800 nm. Budget is probably $150k. Plus or minus.

That's a nice budget for an Ovation or an M20M.  I do those segments several times a year, and others to Texas, and am more than comfortable.  Not sure how much investigating you've done, what your background is, or if you've had the chance to see or ride in one, but happy to swing up there when convenient to us both and you can see the airplane and do for a ride.

If you get a chance to go to the AOPA flying on the 6/7 October, I'll be there as well.

That's a nice budget for an Ovation or an M20M.  I do those segments several times a year, and others to Texas, and am more than comfortable.  Not sure how much investigating you've done, what your background is, or if you've had the chance to see or ride in one, but happy to swing up there when convenient to us both and you can see the airplane and do for a ride.
If you get a chance to go to the AOPA flying on the 6/7 October, I'll be there as well.

I have done a lot of research over the past few years. I'm flying a piper Dakota now. Instrument rated. Was thinking a J or 231/252 was my direction but then the issue with 4 people started to creep into the discussion. I would love to go up if you were in the area.

11 minutes ago, GaryP1007 said:

I'm in the Boston area. I often travel to North Carolina and Tennessee, so 500-800 nm. Budget is probably $150k. Plus or minus.

I am in Boston frequently at KBED.  I should be there each of the next few weekends if you want to check out the size of a long body.   If you can talk your friend into staying home and just take his wife with you for the weekends, the trip should be easily doable (just kidding). 

With 4 people you do have to start leaving fuel behind.  But with 102 gallon (or more) tanks, it isn't that big of a deal.

In the Boston area, FIKI will be really helpful most of the year.  

The O drivers will be more helpful on the weight limits for you than I can be.   But the Acclaim and the Ovation are the same size inside.  PM me if you want to have a look.

Brad

• Like 1

I am in Boston frequently at KBED.  I should be there each of the next few weekends if you want to check out the size of a long body.   If you can talk your friend into staying home and just take his wife with you for the weekends, the trip should be easily doable (just kidding). 
With 4 people you do have to start leaving fuel behind.  But with 102 gallon (or more) tanks, it isn't that big of a deal.
In the Boston area, FIKI will be really helpful most of the year.  
The O drivers will be more helpful on the weight limits for you than I can be.   But the Acclaim and the Ovation are the same size inside.  PM me if you want to have a look.

Brad

Thanks Brad. The issue of 4 is typically for shorter trips so the fuel trade off is easy. What I really wonder about is the comfort for 4. What model do you fly?

10 minutes ago, GaryP1007 said:

Thanks Brad. The issue of 4 is typically for shorter trips so the fuel trade off is easy. What I really wonder about is the comfort for 4. What model do you fly?

I have an Acclaim.  4 works comfortably.  

Gary,  It is possible for you to edit your title... to outsmart the auto-spell robots... throw an extra letter on the end of the word, then backspace over whatever extra letter you put on there.  Works with idevices all the time... :)

150AMU for a long body may or may not work....

But, if you can find one...

For traveling up the Eastern Seaboard, Go O!

1000# UL.  Luxurious room in the back for full sized adults.

Great for long distance or short distance flights, without O2...

Available with...

• TKS
  • AC
  • Installed O2 system

If you like everything on the option list, the Acclaim with the pair of TNs is worth consideration....

There are also some Eagles that fall in the same category.  Watch for the list of power and panel upgrades to O level...

Best regards,

-a-

I have made many long trips with 4 adults in both my M20F and M20J. The seating is comfortable enough. Most say it is more comfortable in the back seats than the front. I only have about 10 hours in the back seat. I always get nervous flying back there.

The problem is luggage and stuff. My wife and I can easily fill the baggage compartment and back seat. With 4 people you have twice as much stuff and half as much space to put it. And there is that pesky W/B stuff.

Sorry ladies but when I say everything needs to go in one small bag, that doesn't mean one small bag and a purse the size of Texas and a makeup bag and a beach bag....

• Like 2

f's and early J's for U/L.  Missiles and rockets are probably best overall for U/L and speed.  Bravo's, ovations and acclaims  have more legroom, but less useful load.

i think for 150K, you'd want a rocket or a missile- both have 1000+ U/L and are as fast or faster than their long bodied cousins (ovation/acclaim/Bravo).  Most rockets/missiles have over 1100lbs useful... shoot my missile has 1015 and its TKS equipped. (Yes, I'm partial).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HRM said:

Not an E, even though they are Super.

Weekend trips should not require a lot of luggage. :) If the 80% or 90% of your missions are 1 or 2 people as are mine even a short body works. This was a trip to a funeral, 3+ hour flight, one overnight. The ladies had a dress for the church and an outfit for the next day. 

On the other hand, if you have a partner to share the higher costs, acquisition, operating, maintenance... a long body is nice. 

IMG_20151030_115458221.jpg

Be honest with yourself and assess the most common mission you will have is the best advice I could give.  I went from an E model to a BE33 with the biggest reason being comfort for my 4 and the extra baggage capacity.  All Mooney's are limited to 120 lbs in the baggage area - that's it.  So I traded a little more fuel burn for more legroom in the back and tons of space for baggage (270 lbs capacity).  I've never had an issue with CG either.  Run the numbers on any plane you are interested in to see if it works for your common flights and then the max effort flights.

I agree with Immelman - if you have a $150K budget between you and your partner - I'd be looking for 6 seats with the A36/Lance/Saratoga lines and go with six seats.  I always prefer to be under gross then always be on the fence at max gross weight for performance reasons.  Just my opinion on that of course.

Cheers,

Brian

• Like 2

Be honest with yourself and assess the most common mission you will have is the best advice I could give.  I went from an E model to a BE33 with the biggest reason being comfort for my 4 and the extra baggage capacity.  All Mooney's are limited to 120 lbs in the baggage area - that's it.  So I traded a little more fuel burn for more legroom in the back and tons of space for baggage (270 lbs capacity).  I've never had an issue with CG either.  Run the numbers on any plane you are interested in to see if it works for your common flights and then the max effort flights.
I agree with Immelman - if you have a $150K budget between you and your partner - I'd be looking for 6 seats with the A36/Lance/Saratoga lines and go with six seats.  I always prefer to be under gross then always be on the fence at max gross weight for performance reasons.  Just my opinion on that of course.
Cheers,
Brian

Thanks for all the input.

I have done a lot of research over the past few years. I'm flying a piper Dakota now. Instrument rated. Was thinking a J or 231/252 was my direction but then the issue with 4 people started to creep into the discussion. I would love to go up if you were in the area.

Depends on how big are the people. For couples whose combined gross weight is less than 300 lbs, a J works great. I've found baggage to be the limiting factor there. But then again our time machines do permit us to turn a weekend drive into a day trip.