Touch And Gos Poll

N201MKTurbo

Touch N Gos  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do touch and gos in Mooneys?

• Have done them, will do them in the future.
    • Have done them, will not do them in the future.
    • Never did them, will never do them.
    • Never did them, would like to learn how.
  2. 2. Do you think touch and gos are unacceptably hazardous?

• Yes
    • No

I don't think they are strongly hazardous. I just think they are unacceptably hazardous relative to the very small benefit to me as an owner pilot. Costs me next to nothing to taxi back, provides better practice. I see no point in accepting the small additional risk of pulling gear instead of flaps (or something similar) just to save a little time. I fly for practice, pleasure, and proficiency.

• Like 5

I would and have done touch and goes in a 172. In a mooney on the 6000 foot runway where I'm based I'm honestly to scared to do one in a mooney. To many things going on, gear, prop, etc to add a non standard to the mix. I'll happily waste two or three minutes and taxi back every time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

I've done them in every airplane I've owned or been checked out in, including my RV4.

Clarence

I did them in my Mooney when I first checked out, but I do not do them as on going practice since. Full stops for me.  Somehow maybe its a bit better with a CFI on board - second professional eyes, than just solo on an ongoing basis.

What is your position on doing them on an ongoing basis Clarence?

Edited by aviatoreb

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

I did them in my Mooney when I first checked out, but I do not do them as on going practice since. Full stops for me.  Somehow maybe its a bit better with a CFI on board - second professional eyes, than just solo on an ongoing basis.

The few times I have done them in any retract involved a CFI on board who confirmed identification of the flaps and, sometimes, took care of their re-setting during the rollout.  But, as I mentioned before, that's no guarantee either - I personally know of at least one situation in which inadvertent gear retraction occurred during training.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I regularly do them in my RV4 for fun and practice.  Sometimes it not actually a landing, but controlled flight as close to the runway as possible at the slowest airspeed I can maintain in ground effect.

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

I regularly do them in my RV4 for fun and practice.  Sometimes it not actually a landing, but controlled flight as close to the runway as possible at the slowest airspeed I can maintain in ground effect.

Obviously, careless and reckless.....At least I hope you're "Wreck-less".  :D

• Like 1