Thinking of straying from the fold

salty

20 minutes ago, steingar said:

Are you an IA?  Did your IA pal say different?  I am not trying to cause any trouble, I am genuinely interested.

I was just saying that if the IA was that picky on removing a seat, I can only imagine what he would be like on an annual inspection. Very very few, but some IA's, (I've only had this experience with one in 30+ years of flying) just because they can, look for an excuse to ground an airplane - it's a power thing. (On the other hand, my IA helped me take out all of my seats for re-upholstery and we installed a loaner pilot seat while so I could fly it to FL for avionics works while the interior was being reupholstered. This guy used to be Mooney's Chief Inspector.)

Back when checks were not electronically processed guys in General Aviation used to get hired to do check hauls every night. Many of them flew with just the pilot seat so they could haul more checks. While it's the responsibility of the pilot in command to make sure that weight and balance are within limits, I've never heard of any other paperwork associated with removing a seat. Think about all of the Cessna 182's and 206's that are used for jump airplanes with only the pilot seat installed.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

My favorite 182's are the early straight tails with 40 degrees of manual flaps.

I learned in Cessna's with 40-degrees of flaps, both 172s and 150s, and the club that I worked at had a 1959 182 with the straight tail and manual flaps.   When I came back to the states and was finishing my license I flew a 172 with the (then new) 30-deg flap limitation.   I kept trying to push the lever down more for that extra ten degrees.   I still miss it when I fly 172s...that last ten degrees is like putting out a parachute.

And some old O-1 Bird-dogs had 60 degrees of flaps.   I've wanted to fly one of those just to try that.

Edited by EricJ

3 hours ago, steingar said:

Are you an IA?  Did your IA pal say different?  I am not trying to cause any trouble, I am genuinely interested.

While my 252 was down for maintenance... involving three different shops, I flew it several times with only the pilot seat installed. In fact the very last thing done as I was waiting to pick it up for the final time after the big job, was to install the right seat. All in all I logged probably close to 10 hours of flight time without the right seat. Much of that was with various IA's looking on as I took off. No one ever even mentioned that it was a problem.

57 minutes ago, salty said:

I heard a rumor this morning of an alteration (STC maybe) that you can convert your back seat to a folding version. Am looking for more info on that.

It's posted here. I was very interested in it until I discovered that I have factory folding, split rear seat. It'sa nice!!

1 hour ago, salty said:

I heard a rumor this morning of an alteration (STC maybe) that you can convert your back seat to a folding version. Am looking for more info on that.

Found it!

Scroll down to March 19, 2011.  There is a PDF posted.

I'm re-doing my interior this winter. 90% sure I'll be including this mid.