FAA ADS-B Rebate - almost done, and GDL-82?

Immelman

I read it on avweb - a week remains to sign up for the ADS-B rebate. I have been dragging my heels, but why leave money on the table? According to AOPA, the installation need not be done and validated for 150 days, so signing up for the rebate was a free way to buy some time.

With that out of the way, I haven't seen many mooneyspace folks discuss Garmin's new GDL-82. This looks to be a relatively low-cost way to comply with the mandate. Has anyone looked into this unit and have any thoughts on it? It appears that it is not available until November.

Why I like it:

1. I don't have a WAAS GPS, and don't plan to upgrade my plane with one

2. I don't have a turbo, and won't miss flying above 180 (been there, done that), so the "UAT" solution is okay with me

3. ANONYMOUS mode! This one is important. I don't really care to be transmitting my whereabouts for all to see on each and every flight. IFR, or flight following, sure, I get it. Squawking 1200 to "go up", no, I don't want to be tracked, or dinged for a violation. "You were 980 feet above a congested area... marine sanctuary.... 450 feet below the reported ceiling...." etc.

4. The price is right

5. Garmin

Anyone have other thoughts on the matter?

I have been looking hard at it, and talked to the garmin folks at OSH as well. I DO have a WAAS GPS so for me it's even more appealing because they said I could simply T into my existing antenna cable, making for a VERY simple install. I'm hoping they will sell it to me minus the antenna for a bit of savings there as well, but I kinda doubt it. 

9 hours ago, StinkBug said:

I have been looking hard at it, and talked to the garmin folks at OSH as well. I DO have a WAAS GPS so for me it's even more appealing because they said I could simply T into my existing antenna cable, making for a VERY simple install. I'm hoping they will sell it to me minus the antenna for a bit of savings there as well, but I kinda doubt it. 

You should be able to get $2-300 for a Garmin GA-35 WAAS antenna on eBay...

TTaylor:

I just checked the Freeflight Systems website and all their ADS-B Out solutions appear to be around $3,000.  Where did you see them for $1,900?

By the way, the link you provided doesn't seem to work.

Thank you.

Edited by glafaille

Looks really promising. We considered the gdl82 but ultimately our existing transponder (gtx320) was older (but working) & the adsb in aspect of the gtx345 won out for us. I love having traffic on the Aspen. Its also amazing how much more traffic you see once you're participating with adsb out. Its already saved my shorts (at a minimum) once in the 1-2 months since we added it.

The GDL-82 is a device that sort of 'splices in' to what an existing mode C transponder transmits. You keep your old transponder. It is a "UAT" solution, vs. a new 1090 transponder.

...The more I read the more I like this solution. Will be calling a few shops to see if there is any issue with them shipping the unit to me to install w/ IA supervision.. I am not sure if that is something Garmin does or not... I see the unit available for sale (available November) at the main online avionics dealers.

• Thanks 1

This is a great example of modern technology solving a problem.  I probably won't go with this on the 162 as I want traffic on the G300 or at least on the iPad or in a Lynx but it's pretty cool.  

http://aviation.levil.com/beacon-978.html

This too looks cool. https://www.uavionix.com/news/uavionix-reveals-skybeacon-the-first-near-zero-install-ads-b-out-solution/

Edited by ryoder

You don't really need any type of plan to sign up for the rebate. Just put whatever unit in the field. The FAA will still fund it you change your mind. YOu have until the end of the year to install and actually get the rebate. I just filed mine. I put a GTX345 which is what I'll probably buy but I reserve the right to change my mind.

-Robert

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

This is a great example of modern technology solving a problem.  I probably won't go with this on the 162 as I want traffic on the G300 or at least on the iPad or in a Lynx but it's pretty cool.  

http://aviation.levil.com/beacon-978.html

This too looks cool. https://www.uavionix.com/news/uavionix-reveals-skybeacon-the-first-near-zero-install-ads-b-out-solution/

Unfortunately neither of those are legal for install in a certified aircraft. I have been watching the Levil Beacon ever since they first announced it, and claimed it would be certified, but they keep pushing back the expected certification date. When I talked to them in their booth at OSH this year I was given the impression that certified aircraft were basically not a priority for them anymore, and not to hold my breath. I think the announcement of a system that is similar in install difficulty and at virtually the same pricepoint by Garmin may have been a factor in the decision to stay experimental. 

Edited by StinkBug

Robert --

Did you hear the one about the pilot whose schedule was Thurs-Tuesday off? He was heard complaining about having to fly Wednesdays.

Hear the one about the pilot who found a pot a gold at the end of the rainbow? He was complaining because of all the taxes he'd have to pay.

Here's a money saving tip, somewhat not on the up and up but that won't stop many of us: There are multiple avionics dealers selling this item in the state of Oregon.

Edited by Immelman

• 5 months later...
On 2/21/2018 at 7:29 AM, nosky2high said:

I had to reschedule, but the total cost estimate was around $3800. While I’m getting the work done, I may have a G-5 indicator installed as well. Pirep once work is complete. 

If the GDL-82 is $1795 and it includes the WAAS antenna, how does it cost $2000 to install? The GDL-82 is in between the existing transponder and the WAAS antenna.

Since Garmin sells it directly, why not have you mechanic do it? You're not removing the transponder so you shouldn't need a re-certification.

11 hours ago, 65MooneyPilot said:

I just called Garmin and they verified that they are allowing A&P’s install the GDL-82. Good news for everyone. Work with your A&P / IA to get it installed.

Once a few interior panels are removed, a hangar elf could do this in an evening and get someone to inspect the work and sign it off. For anyone waiting to get ADS-B complaint this is one of the easiest ways.

After that an iphone or an ipad and a $199 Scout could you weather and traffic in the cockpit.    https://flywithscout.com/

6 hours ago, 65MooneyPilot said:

For another 50.00 (250.00 total) you can get a Stratux and have AHRS and GPS. I built one a couple of years ago and it works great. 

If you'd rather not DIY your own build, just buy one for the same price.  I build a stratux a few years ago (no AHRS and GPS) several years ago for $100, and just bought this Merlin last December when they had a markdown to $200.  https://www.seattleavionics.com/merlin.aspx.  It's a 2 Channel ADS-B + GPS + AHRS + Battery.