What's next after the M20E

Badmoonraising

I am finally really getting into the 64 M20E I bought over a year ago. So many factors that can get in the way of getting up to speed on new type. Mostly weather and availability of instructor. Here in British Columbia (and parts South I hear) it has been a hellish summer for fires. The smoke has been a really big problem. Nonetheless I am finally getting some time in my machine and gaining confidence quickly. 

So here's dilemma; I already want to go faster. So what's the next logical, or should I say illogical Mooney to covet? Best speed for the buck?

What's your mission?

Faster can be accomplished by a bunch of different body styles.  

Mountains ?  Pacific NW ice?  You're staring at a M20M bravo as Don indicated.  

Mountains or want to get higher to pick up tail winds? 231 or 252 (252s are really hard to come by).  

A good clean / modded E is about the fastest 200 HP NA short / mid body you're going to find.  You may just be a good match with what you already got and don't know it ...? 

• Like 1

Full disclosure, I've never been in a Lancair but the amount of cross country (across the entire country) flying I've done in the last couple of years, and all the weather I've been through doing it, has made me less enthusiastic about Experimentals. I've been in more than a few situations where I've taken comfort in the strength of the Mooney wing, the steel cage, etc. Having said that, if I could afford it, a Lancair IV-P is very interesting to me.

Just now, gsxrpilot said:

Full disclosure, I've never been in a Lancair but the amount of cross country (across the entire country) flying I've done in the last couple of years, and all the weather I've been through doing it, has made me less enthusiastic about Experimentals. I've been in more than a few situations where I've taken comfort in the strength of the Mooney wing, the steel cage, etc. Having said that, if I could afford it, a Lancair IV-P is very interesting to me.

I agree with you 100%. When I was getting my instrument rating, I remember my CFII looking out the window and commenting on how little the wing moved.

BMR,

Your avatar indicates C, your post indicates E, your question is what's next...

Sliding up the alphabet is pretty easy to follow... How does the F sound?  :)

Are you ready to go LB? Jump aboard!

Are wanting a TC? Get spooled up!

Expect Some Transition Training would be helpful...

PP thoughts only.  I went from C to R...

Best regards,

-a-