Sound change due to seating piston rings

DonMuncy

I was just reading my latest edition of General Aviation News, in which a reader, in a letter to the editor, states that during break-in of a engine he can hear not only the change in pitch when the rings become seated, but can hear each cylinder as it seats. Has anyone ever heard such a pitch change, or even heard anyone claim to have heard it. I would say he is exaggerating beyond belief, except that it seems that many people are a lot more sensitive in their perceptions than I am.

Interesting...

I was hoping to measure a change in CHTs during the break-in process... No joy there either...

My engine went through a few hours of break-in off and on the plane before I was involved.

It probably was noticeable to a person that has done a few break-in flights...

I'm pretty good at sensing valve tap on some of my older vehicle engines... does that count?

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, DonMuncy said:

I was just reading my latest edition of General Aviation News, in which a reader, in a letter to the editor, states that during break-in of a engine he can hear not only the change in pitch when the rings become seated, but can hear each cylinder as it seats. 

What a goofball, if the feds read that he might be going in for a Psychological evaluation