M20J engine not developing the power

Mikhail

Guys,

Pleas help with your experience....

Crunked my Mooney after two weeks no flying and I have only 2000RPM at full throttle.....

Prior this everything was fine 

Magneto working pretty good L&R, I have clean spark plugs, change gaskets and  O-rings on the intakes, check the fuel flow on the fuel lines with aux fuel pump....

Prop is cycling, idle is smooth....

Tachometr is accurate, check the Prop rpm with Tru Tach....

Any advise what should I check next?

Thanks for any tips!

Edited by Mikhail

What is the manifold pressure at full power?  Are you actually developing full power and not getting the RPM expected or are you not getting enough power to get past 2000 RPM.  i.e. is it the propeller keeping you at 2000 or is it the engine not getting past 2000.

The blades should not be feathered when stopped.  The blades should return to fine pitch with loss of engine power.  If the blades are a coarse pitch while stopped, that suggests the prop is jammed at that setting.

On the other hand, the props used on Mooney's should not be able to "feather" anyway, and the difference between fine and coarse pitch should not be terribly obvious.  I think our prop guy (sorry, can't remember his name) just posted a video of the difference between fine and coarse pitch.

Edited by jaylw314

12 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

The blades should not be feathered when stopped.  The blades should return to fine pitch with loss of engine power.  If the blades are a coarse pitch while stopped, that suggests the prop is jammed at that setting.

On the other hand, the props used on Mooney's should not be able to "feather" anyway, and the difference between fine and coarse pitch should not be terribly obvious.  I think our prop guy (sorry, can't remember his name) just posted a video of the difference between fine and coarse pitch.

Cody Stallings

What engine do you have, and what fuel flow did you see when you were at full throttle?

You mentioned MP was 2700.  I assume that was 27.0 inHg?  That suggests your home field is around 3000 feet elevation?

Do you have an engine monitor or EGT data on all cylinders or just one?

How did you verify the magnetos are both good?

What were the intake O-rings you mentioned you changed?

Make sure that all 3 control cables - prop throttle mixture - are moving the levers stop to the stop. The throttle and mixture is on the front of the engine, prop governor on the back. 

If you're getting 27" MAP (what's your field elevation?) and the prop is full in you should be seeing RPM close to 2700. Do you have FF fuel flow? FF ought to get close to 18 gph with everything full forward. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mikhail said:

IMG_4756.JPG

With MAP over 28" and FF of 16 (+/- 18 would be normal for take off) it appears there's a problem with the prop itself, the governor or the prop cable. You cycled the prop and the RPM came down (from 1700?). But you can't get it above 1900 which according to the tach label is really 2000. As suggested above, check to be sure that the prop cable moves the control lever on the governor from stop to stop.