Self-Install FS210?

Flymac

Has anyone taken on installing your own Flight Stream 210?  Recently received a quote, similar to all that has been posted, ~$1000 labor, sparked alittle interest in me checking out the installation manual and all involved as the quote noted installing the 210 in the tail/avionics racks, which #1 far more accessible easier to work in #2 makes me think a decent chunk of that labor is simply pulling panels and routing the wires up to the panel...also quite doable.  Single 1A push/pull breaker to add, and looks like just 2 signal wires to add to the 430W main connector(for sure would be the most nerve/racking & challenging part getting done!)

Any others have yours in tail and can show some pictures?  Anyone do on their own and have a successful setup with your GPS?  Thanks  

Curious on your bluetooth signal/experience so far with anyone else that had theirs installed on the back rack

10 minutes ago, Flymac said:

Has anyone taken on installing your own Flight Stream 210?  Recently received a quote, similar to all that has been posted, ~$1000 labor, sparked alittle interest in me checking out the installation manual and all involved as the quote noted installing the 210 in the tail/avionics racks, which #1 far more accessible easier to work in #2 makes me think a decent chunk of that labor is simply pulling panels and routing the wires up to the panel...also quite doable.  Single 1A push/pull breaker to add, and looks like just 2 signal wires to add to the 430W main connector(for sure would be the most nerve/racking & challenging part getting done!)

Any others have yours in tail and can show some pictures?  Anyone do on their own and have a successful setup with your GPS?  Thanks  

Some people have had problems with a weak bluetooth signal in the GTX345 Remote since it was mounted in the tail. I'm not sure if that would be a problem with the FS210 or not.

7 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Some people have had problems with a weak bluetooth signal in the GTX345 Remote since it was mounted in the tail. I'm not sure if that would be a problem with the FS210 or not.

According to Garmin, the FS210 is the "solution" to the GTX345 bluetooth issues, but that involves locating the FS210 up front somewhere.  Unfortunately, I get consistent bluetooth disconnects even with my O2 access door removed.  May not be an issue with the J since you sit closer to the tail area, but I would still mount it as far forward as possible.  Maybe try testing the desired install location first with some other bluetooth device.

• Like 1

Re self-installed FS-210:

I added FS210 to my Ovation.

First I  discussed it with my avionics guys who told me the main labor was to route several pairs of wire from panel area (GTN750 location, and circuit breaker panel) and the rear avionics bay (FS210, GDL88 & GDL69). They told me exactly what type wire to use, how many pairs.  

During my owner-assisted annual while the belly panels were off I routed all those plus spares.  Even with the plane opened up it took me several more hours to get the wire in and secured.  Not hard, just intricate. 

A few weeks later the avionics shop installed the FS210 on the rear avionics shelf. They charged me 3 hours labor total.   If I hadn't done the wire routing it might have taken five or six additional hours.  

It works great installed there in the Ovation. 

10 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

I had my FS210 installed on my avionics shelf and had no issues with Bluetooth strength.  I've since had it removed when I got my Avidynes.

I ran the coax for adding ADS-B to the Aspen. The GDL 88 is in the back and the Aspen is in the panel. Running the wire probably saved me at least a half day, maybe more of avionics shop rate. I have to be at least as efficient as the electron chasers at R&R seats and side panels. Twin Lakes did the ADS-B, AOA, and SV unlock is a half day while I waited.  

Thanks for all the great input!  Was just as curious about the whole tail install and signal strength as that kind of surprised me regarding the location(I guess not shocking though given how cramped it is up there), and of all the FS210 posts I've seen I guess I never really saw it discussed where shops were locating them.

We would also be getting a 345 installed, and with that already having bluetooth, ahrs, etc, another $2k just for the convenience of pushing flight plans to 430 drove my curiosity to ask and possibly cut $1k out at least while enjoying putting some work in(agreed with proper signoffs, etc).

The instruction manual says to mount inside the  cabin as  close to the Flight compartment as possible. The arrow on the side says point in the direction of flight but the antenna is at the rear of the unit so if it's mounted behind the  baggage area the antenna's behind the unit and points rearward.  My gtx 345r Bluetooth randomly drops out with people in the rear seat. I wouldn't trust it to be 100%. To move it is another 1000$. 

Edited by jetdriven

19 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I ran the coax for adding ADS-B to the Aspen. The GDL 88 is in the back and the Aspen is in the panel. Running the wire probably saved me at least a half day, maybe more of avionics shop rate. I have to be at least as efficient as the electron chasers at R&R seats and side panels. Twin Lakes did the ADS-B, AOA, and SV unlock is a half day while I waited.  

Any pictures of the upgraded panel (svs and aoa)?  Thinking about adding the svs and maybe another display. 

On 9/12/2017 at 11:29 AM, Flymac said:

Curious on your bluetooth signal/experience so far with anyone else that had theirs installed on the back rack

I would try for 1k installed. You might need to run some wires to achieve that. I'm pretty sure you need to purchase the unit through a dealer/installer. 

On 9/12/2017 at 6:59 PM, NotarPilot said:

I had my FS210 installed on my avionics shelf and had no issues with Bluetooth strength.  I've since had it removed when I got my Avidynes.

No problem with blue tooth signal strength with 02 door in place.I did the complete install myself with IA sign off.I used a pair or 232 signal leads already going to the gdl 69 sat weather.The FS 210 was wired in series and provided good function.After the Avidyne install ,I no longer needed the fs210 talking to the 430 but I rewired it to provide gdl 69a control from the iPad and also provide a redundant ahrs 

• Like 1