New M20J owner with a speedy question

Pat-QC

Hello all,

I just bought a M20J after owning a Cherokee. Will take training seriously. Mine is a 1977, one of the first M20J, serial number 24- zero zero 29. I have quadrant style power controls and ram air.

Doing my homework, I became aware of this page.

http://www.mooneyland.com/model-comparisons/

What should be my Maximum speed for gear extensions? My POH* says 150mph, above source quote 120mph....

*I have Manual number 1220 with revisions up to G (dated 3-7-84). Page 2-3.

Thanks in advance to the true Mooney experts.

Thanks PTK for your reply.

How can I be sure the POH that came with the airplane is the right one with the latest and correct updates?

Worst case scenario if I try to lower the gear at 140mph, and really do have the 120mph model. Would it just not go down?

This is really one of the first M20J and is consitent with having 120mph gear down speed. Is it possible the bird got upgraded to 150mph gear down speed?

• Like 1

It has always been my understanding that the limiting factor on gear speeds has been the doors.

As for gear updates, the only one I know has to do with increased gross weight, and the early Js are not eligible.

But I fly a C, so I haven't really kept up with all of the details.

But welcome to the club, Pat!

I am no expert, but here's the way I have flown my J for 10 years. I also own a 1977 J with 150 as max gear extension and have a couple of personal preferences to descent and landing.

If on an instrument approach I try to level off about 3-4 miles before the initial approach fix at 18 on MP which gets me well below 150mph. Back off on MP until about 90 Kts and drop the gear at the final approach fix and ride the glideslope about 16 on the MP. 

If i am VFR in smooth air then I generally keep the gear up and descend as tolerated keeping her LOP and MP below 25 which gives great speed with descent rate of 500fpm or more as tolerated by pax and depending on turbulence without too much speed buildup.  When I am about 2-4 miles from traffic pattern I will back off slowly to 18 on MP, pull the nose up to slow down and gain a couple hundred feet, and drop the gear when it's about 130 mph. 

Enjoy the J :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pat-QC said:

Hello all,

I just bought a M20J after owning a Cherokee. Will take training seriously. Mine is a 1977, one of the first M20J, serial number 24- zero zero 29. I have quadrant style power controls and ram air.

Doing my homework, I became aware of this page.

http://www.mooneyland.com/model-comparisons/

What should be my Maximum speed for gear extensions? My POH* says 150mph, above source quote 120mph....

*I have Manual number 1220 with revisions up to G (dated 3-7-84). Page 2-3.

Thanks in advance to the true Mooney experts.

According to Mooney that PoH is correct and current.

Clarence

image.png

Welcome aboard Pat.

You did say you want to take your training seriously....

Your second opportunity has arrived... (first opportunity was learning about the PPI)

One thing many Mooney pilots do when first buying a Mooney or when they move on to their next Mooney is pick up what is called transition training...  Often abbreviated in a confusing way as TT.

There are several Mooney specific CFIIs around North America that can personalize this experience for you so you can get the most out of it in the shortest amount of Canadian dollars possible.

An example of TT includes...

• Some ground school.  Every speed from T/O to landing.  Things to do. Things not to do...Thunderstorms, icing, fuel exhaustion...
  • Some local flying.  T/O to landing. Controlling air speed. Emergencies... Go Arounds.
  • Some cross country flying.  ROP, LOP, climbs and descent plans...  Great part of training if you need to get your plane delivered across the country...

Once you have all that, another source of flexible training is provided by MAPA.  Great to really get to know your plane...

Did you say you already had your IR?

If not we have some great discussions on that topic too?

I'm only a PP, not selling any training.... training is what gets you on to experience.  Experience keeps you out of the woods...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, Pat-QC said:

Thanks PTK for your reply.

How can I be sure the POH that came with the airplane is the right one with the latest and correct updates?

Worst case scenario if I try to lower the gear at 140mph, and really do have the 120mph model. Would it just not go down?

This is really one of the first M20J and is consitent with having 120mph gear down speed. Is it possible the bird got upgraded to 150mph gear down speed?

The POH should have your aircraft registration number on the front page.  If not, it may be the correct revision, but to be FAA kosher it needs to be the individual aircraft's POH.  Realistically, that means the W&B section needs to be correct for that plane.

From the TCDS for your serial #:
Airspeed Limits...
Landing gear extension 120mph (104 knots) IAS
... 152 mph (132 knots) IAS  [if SB M20-209 complied with]

SB M20-209 just requires the cockpit placard be changed to reflect the higher speed, and pages in the POH be changed out.  No actual change to the airframe.  So if it has not been done, I suppose it would be safe to extend the gear at 150 mph, just not technically legal.

Edited by jaylw314

7 hours ago, Pat-QC said:

Hey thanks M20Doc. I will feel more confident knowing this. Was not expecting so much support after just a few hours on the forum.

Welcome,

It's a very helpful crowd, just don't mention that you use flaps for take off, plan to use Cam Guard, will try lean of peak operation,  do touch and go circuits in your training, that you can land safely without an AoA system.  This and a few other topics will start a mud slinging contest, and certainly don't talk politics publicly, you'll get a stern talking to from admin.

Clarence

Welcome aboard, Pat! Post some pics of your bird when you get a chance. We all love to drool over new planes and help others plan where to spend their money!

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Once you have all that, another source of flexible training is provided by MAPA.  Great to really get to know your plane...

@carusoam was correct in the MAPA training. They have the Mooney Safety Foundation ( www.mapasafety.com ) that provides Mooney specific training several times a year in different locations across the US. It can provide a great next step in your Mooney flying proficiency as well as expose you to others flying Mooneys with a variety of experience. Highly recommended.

• Like 1