Sad Mooney

Pritch

13 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Perhaps a new topic titled "Derelects of the Fleet" -- 

IMG_0430.thumb.PNG.81d40d74a011074f0afb68f799608beb.PNG

This one has been at Freeway for decades. 

That looks like a mid-body with 201 cowling, McCauley propeller, and no wingtips. My guess is either an F with a modified cowling or (more likely) a 1977or 78 M20J.

unless you damage it without insurance and can't afford to fix it, why?  maybe an expensive repair blind sides you?   I understand the sentimental hopes that you'll get back in the air, but c'mon.  After several months, you'd think the idea of selling it would cross your mind.

I've seen it for years at various airports around the country.  Usually it involves an owner that is convinced their airplane is worth thousands more than it actually is.  The guy that owns the 201 probably has seen other airplanes being advertised for $80-100k, so he figures that's what his is worth.  Someone comes along and offers $25k and he thinks they're just trying to screw him.  And all the while, he's paying a tie-down fee every month.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I've seen it for years at various airports around the country.  Usually it involves an owner that is convinced their airplane is worth thousands more than it actually is.  The guy that owns the 201 probably has seen other airplanes being advertised for $80-100k, so he figures that's what his is worth.  Someone comes along and offers $25k and he thinks they're just trying to screw him.  And all the while, he's paying a tie-down fee every month.

Was a tax lein , if I remember correctly..

10 hours ago, Andy95W said:

That looks like a mid-body with 201 cowling, McCauley propeller, and no wingtips. My guess is either an F with a modified cowling or (more likely) a 1977or 78 M20J.

I'm going to wager late 70s J based on the stubby wings and (if original) lack of 7 antennas. Specifically a 78-80 model. Not a 77.