Sound proofing. Anybody had any real success??

nels

There are a total of four pages from the FAA on hearing protection. I could only get page one to copy. Look them up and read them. You will start using foam plugs inside the ears with noise cancelling on top unless you are young and invincible like I once was.

12 hours ago, 211º said:

Just for comparison. In the center of the cabin of the E at 3,000 ft

25x2500 - 99 dB

21x2350 - 93 dB 

Dave. I noticed the center at ear level is the quietest section of the interior also. I also notice that readucing the rpm significantly reduces the noise but I haven't dwelled on that yet. Your E noise levels seem to compare well with the my J.

On 9/9/2017 at 2:34 PM, nels said:

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death but has anyone had any real noticeable sound reduction success with their Mooney.

Not with the Mooney--give up on that. These work perfectly:

cq5dam.web.320.320.png

38 minutes ago, nels said:

I also notice that readucing the rpm significantly reduces the noise but I haven't dwelled on that yet. Your E noise levels seem to compare well with the my J.

So far, I don't know of any real, financial, weight-efficient solution - except passive or active (or both) protection of the ears.  Unless Mooney comes out with a pusher prototype - put all of the noise and vibration a little behind us. ;)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nels said:

You are kidding yourself if you think noise canceling headsets are the answer. I thought the same thing but noticed rapid hearing loss over the period of two years while using them. They ONLY protect low frequency range leaving the high frequency range of hearing vulnerable!  Simple foam ear plugs combined with noise canceling headsets will take care of the high range and low range frequencies. Try it, you will hear the tower better when communicating also.  Once your high range is gone conversation in a room full of talking people is very difficult, hard to isolate the voice you are trying to hear. You won't notice hearing loss until it's too late. It doesn't fix itself or grow back! The FAA agrees with me on this and has published a good three page article on the matter. To quote: 

• Combinations of protection devices. The combination of earplugs with earmuffs or communication headsets is recommended when ambient noise levels are above 115dB. Earplugs, combined with active noise reduction headsets, provide the maximum level of individual hearing protection that can be achieved with current technolog.

• hearing.pdf

I resemble that remark.  I wore earplugs for about 12 of my 14 years in the Air Force, but zero of the 25 years at the airlines.  Frustrates my wife when I can't understand her with the TV on or when she talks to me from another room.  That's why I've started using both foam earplugs and an ANR headset in the Mooney, although with the earplugs I can't really tell any difference between ANR on or off.

8 hours ago, nels said:

Bob, I take it you are agreeing with me?

Huh, what, can't understand you.  Yes I do agree with you.  I have high frequency hearing loss from being around jet engines for 39 years.  Drives my wife nuts.  Earplugs under the ANR headset on the Mooney makes it quieter and easier to understand ATC.