Best IFR Panel

GaryP1007

My two cents..... I prefer the sacred six to tapes. I've had both, and depending on what Garmim does with their experimental line, I might go to tapes again. In the meantime, I'm really happy with this set up.

GTN 750, GTN 650, remote audio panel, remote transonder, AERA 796, GDL 88, FlightSteam 210, lifesaver electric back-up AI, electric backup vacuum pump, CYA 100 AOA, Icarus SAM GPSS steering, KAP 150 Autopilot, JPI 830, iPad Mini 4 in yoke mount, and more. (796 replaced 696, GTN 650 replaced 430)

880ee99bec4c4a77560bd504603587f1.jpg

8f4c24972be49e9f573696c050170e90.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/9/2017 at 11:14 PM, kmyfm20s said:

I love my panel lay out. I don't have to move my head at all in IMC. More redundancy than I know what to do with. 

IMG_4154.thumb.JPG.2ee1499f3bbb6628aaca414d0b605744.JPG

Paul, you probably have your displays set up the way you want them, but I really don't like having the Terrain on the number 1 Map Page for the G500 or the Map Page of the GTN 750.  It covers up too much.  With 1 tap you can put Terrain on the 750 when wanted, and one click on the G500 if you put Terrain on the number 2 Map Page.

This panel can do more than the latest Acclaim Ultra--I think.  One of the most important things it does is provide TargetTrend on the G500, GTN 750/650, Aera 796 and iPad.  Maybe the Ultra G1000NXi can do that, but none of the other G1000 Mooneys can.  It also has ADS-B out on both 1090 and 978, so doesn't need a GBT to provide ADS-R.  Since this picture was taken, the panel has been further upgrade by replacing the ESI 2000 with the ESI 500 that provides an additional Navigation display from either GPS.  Also I replaced the GTX 330ES with the GTX 335 which has a much better display and better menu system.  Not shown because they are remote are the Active Traffic GTS 800 and Passive Traffic GDL 88, WX 500 Stormscope, GDL 69a for XM Weather and Radio, FS 510 for Database Concierge and iPad interface, FS 210 for backup AHRS and iPad interface, GMA 35c Audio Panel with Telligence for nearly hands off operation of the GTN 750, and the KN63 DME that I kept from my original setup.  When Garmin certifies the GFC 600, I'll be first on the list to have that installed, as a further upgrade.

Updated Panel.jpg

• Like 2

For your long-run costs, add this consideration: 411/413 checks on an Aspen were $400 higher than a G500 at KADS in June, 2017. My A&P had my airplane, plus a Piper with an Aspen done at the same time -- meaning this a billed cost comparison.

You should also investigate failure rates and frequency of out-of-tolerance induced calibrations. I know what my shop sees, but I have already given the flamers enough bait.

Cheers

1 hour ago, donkaye said:

This panel can do more than the latest Acclaim Ultra--I think.  One of the most important things it does is provide TargetTrend on the G500, GTN 750/650, Aera 796 and iPad.  Maybe the Ultra G1000NXi can do that, but none of the other G1000 Mooneys can.  It also has ADS-B out on both 1090 and 978, so doesn't need a GBT to provide ADS-R.  Since this picture was taken, the panel has been further upgrade by replacing the ESI 2000 with the ESI 500 that provides an additional Navigation display from either GPS.  Also I replaced the GTX 330ES with the GTX 335 which has a much better display and better menu system.  Not shown because they are remote are the Active Traffic GTS 800 and Passive Traffic GDL 88, WX 500 Stormscope, GDL 69a for XM Weather and Radio, FS 510 for Database Concierge and iPad interface, FS 210 for backup AHRS and iPad interface, GMA 35c Audio Panel with Telligence for nearly hands off operation of the GTN 750, and the KN63 DME that I kept from my original setup.  When Garmin certifies the GFC 600, I'll be first on the list to have that installed, as a further upgrade.

Updated Panel.jpg

The GTX-345R does a grand job of showing TargetTrend on a regular G1000. I have the WAAS upgrade to Mooney software version 0401.34 but I'm not sure if that's required to see TargetTrend, as I'm pretty sure it comes directly from the GTX-345.  I wish I'd snapped a picture on my escape flight from Florida on Friday...the volume of traffic heading away from Hurricane Irma was impressive. My MFD was full of little black arrows, all pointing north!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

The GTX-345R does a grand job of showing TargetTrend on a regular G1000. I have the WAAS upgrade to Mooney software version 0401.34 but I'm not sure if that's required to see TargetTrend, as I'm pretty sure it comes directly from the GTX-345.  I wish I'd snapped a picture on my escape flight from Florida on Friday...the volume of traffic heading away from Hurricane Irma was impressive. My MFD was full of little black arrows, all pointing north!

I've had several students upgrade their G1000 WAAS airplanes with the GTX 345 and none of them can get TargetTrend.  I've also transitioned a number of students with WAAS G1000 airplanes and the GTX 345 and none can get TargetTrend.  If you don't see a GREEN line, you don't have TargetTrend, you have a WHITE line and it's Absolute Motion.  If you do have a G1000 airplane with TargetTrend, please take a picture and post it, as it was my understanding that it wasn't possible except with the G1000 NXi.  Always willing to learn.

14 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

For just a few hundred bucks a GDL39 with Garmin Pilot does a pretty good job of displaying TargetTrend on an Pad, too, for that matter.:)  

Jim

The GDL 39 with its vertical antenna obstructs view when placed on the Glareshield and needs to be charged after a few hours of use.  While it works if you have ADS-B Out, it's not a very good permanent ADS-B In solution in my opinion.

• Like 1

According to Garmin's GDL88 page:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/digital/p/63471#additional

Target trend will be available for G1000 with GDU software v15...   Mooney release -34 is v14.   So if Mooney certifies another G1000 release we will get it then. 

I expect that the GTX345 interface is emulating and or has similar limitations to the GDL88 which was the first target trend system. 

5 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Interestingly, with it hardwired ship's power consistently keeps the GDL39-3D's battery at 79%. I have no idea why it never indicates a full charge but at some point I stopped worrying about it. I do like TargetTrend. 

Jim

I think lithium batteries like the 50-80 percent charge as a resting state.  I know with lipo batteries it damages them to leave at 100%.  So maybe your unit is advanced or just unique. 

4 hours ago, HRM said:

Less is more.

I'm in the slow process of a panel upgrade.  I like the clean look but I'm currently planning on keeping my airspeed, altimeter, and a lifesaver gyro.  I've gone back and forth about a hundred times between the L3 500 vs the standard three. I think my old eyes just like having part of the six pack still available. I'm not cutting a new panel until the day before the shop needs it...I change my mind way too often. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Godfather said:

I like the clean look but I'm currently planning on keeping my airspeed, altimeter, and a lifesaver gyro.

It really comes down to personal preference, this isn't a 'mission' thing at all unless the mission is resale. I frankly like the classic Mooney panel and plan to put in it what will work for me (and my wallet!). I don't want to have to internally decide what to look at from a glittering array of screens, it's just the old 'KISS' principle for me. What I really like is the dual G5 plan with the holy four (ALT, ASI, TC, VSI) on each side.