Any mooneys that can carry 800 pounds 800 miles?

golfpilot

I've seen a few Eagles converted to 310hp with 1150lb useful loads. That would about do it.

350lb of fuel, call it 60 gallons, will carry you 4.8 hours at 12.5gph LOP which should give you about 165 knots. You'll have to glide the last 8 miles as the engine dies.

Now, of course, an Eagle with 310hp will easily depart at 3600lb while still initially climbing over 1000fpm. Not legal, but not exactly unsafe with a 5000ft runway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, golfpilot said:

Its two guys, two gals and all the stuff. This past weekend in a friends T210 it was right at the 800 pound number. I'll be making this trip often so I'm curious if there is something better. I know some of the Mooney's claim to have 1500ish + mile range, figuring about half that would allow about 800 pounds of people and stuff. T210 took 75 gallons to make the trip there and about the same coming back (4 hours 15 mins with headwind...). KMOD-KTIW Thought maybe there was a mooney that could do it, maybe i'm just dreaming.

You won't get that range in the T210. The 2015 T210 I fly is only good for about 4 hours of flight. Same tanks as the 182, shorter legs. Of course if you get to ride the jet stream that can change the math. I've done 6 hour legs in my F but not in the flight levels of course.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

4 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

You won't get that range in the T210. The 2015 T210 I fly is only good for about 3 hours of flight. Same tanks as the 182, shorter legs. Of course if you get to ride the jet stream that can change the math. I've done 6 hour legs in my F but not in the flight levels of course.

-Robert

Lots of 210 has Flint Tanks giving you another 33 gallons. Also, are you thinking 206? You said 2015. Last year a 210 was made was 1984 or 86.

Edited by AndyFromCB

You won't get that range in the T210. The 2015 T210 I fly is only good for about 4 hours of flight. Same tanks as the 182, shorter legs. Of course if you get to ride the jet stream that can change the math. I've done 6 hour legs in my F but not in the flight levels of course.

-Robert

The actual mission is modesto to Tacoma. The actual distance is only about 630 miles, IFR. The 800 leaves for 1 hour of reserves. We did it last week in a friends t210 so I know the t210 can do it. Ran high power there had 15 gallons left. Ran at a lower power setting on the way back, with a headwind, taking 4 hours 15 mins. Had 15 gallons left.
I thought a mooney may be able too do the same trip but at slightly less fuel burn (due to efficiency). Maybe even one that uses the same engine as a t210... turns out a t210 or even a 182rg can carry 800 pounds of people and junk from modesto to Tacoma faster than even the fastest of mooneys because, it turns out, all mooney's need to stop.

26 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

I can't do the 800/800 flight... but what is surprising (amazing to me, at least) is that I can do 700 pounds for 700 miles at nearly 150 knots in my M20C (994 useful load).  And still have more than VFR reserves.  For under $40k.

994 UL - 700 = 294 lb fuel = 49 gal, durn near full (full minus taxi). You've got 25 lb on me, probably due to my 3 blade prop . . . My longest flights so far have been 4:40 and 41 gal for 8.8 gph, but not near gross, landing with 12 gal or 1:20 left. Only 2 souls aboard, and my wife and I were both very ready to get out! Would not have wanted to be aloft for the extra 30-40 minutes.

• Like 1

Just now, RobertGary1 said:

Mean to say T206,

-Robert

My T206 has 117 gallons and 1380 useful and burns about 18gph while doing 160knots in the low teens. I can pack 678lb in there with full fuel. Technically speaking it could barely cover 800 miles with 800lb in the cabin, but not  really, considering it goes thru 35gph on takeoff and climb.

Just now, AndyFromCB said:

My T206 has 117 gallons and 1380 useful and burns about 18gph while doing 160knots in the low teens. I can pack 678lb in there with full fuel. Technically speaking it could barely cover 800 miles with 800lb in the cabin, but not  really, considering it goes thru 35gph on takeoff and climb.

Is it the same 310 Cont motor  I have in the T206?

-Robert

Another thing to consider if you need to make that mission for business purposes etc is known ice. Going north from California can require a lot of patience since icing can become a real issue in the winter.
-Robert

Yes, since I have been going up there quite a bit, all flights have been backed with southwest tickets out of Oakland. Takes longer to get to Oakland and board the plane than it does to fly straight north though... maybe I'm ignorant, but flying in ice in ANY single GA airplane isn't something I want to do

7 minutes ago, golfpilot said:

Yes, since I have been going up there quite a bit, all flights have been backed with southwest tickets out of Oakland. Takes longer to get to Oakland and board the plane than it does to fly straight north though... maybe I'm ignorant, but flying in ice in ANY single GA airplane isn't something I want to do

The problem with tackling ice up through Oregon is you won't have outs. The terrain doesn't let you just descend below the ice. 

Some Mooneys have known ice certifications and I'd be comfortable using it.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

1 hour ago, AndyFromCB said:

Numbers that warm my heart!

Clarence

2 hours ago, Hank said:

994 UL - 700 = 294 lb fuel = 49 gal, durn near full (full minus taxi). You've got 25 lb on me, probably due to my 3 blade prop . . . My longest flights so far have been 4:40 and 41 gal for 8.8 gph, but not near gross, landing with 12 gal or 1:20 left. Only 2 souls aboard, and my wife and I were both very ready to get out! Would not have wanted to be aloft for the extra 30-40 minutes.

I was just saying I could go 700 miles- not that I would!  I like the takeoffs and landings, and it gets my wife out and walking around every 2 or so hours.  I think if it started to feel like misery, she wouldn't go. ;)

But the M20C is an amazing machine.  That Al Mooney was a genius.

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Numbers that warm my heart!

Clarence

What,  not fast enough for you ;-) I get to load everything, plus the kitchen sink for my 525nm milk run. Nothing can do this as cheap as a 206 as safely. I looked into the TNed A36/B36 an I hate the gross weight departure climb rates, waiting in ground effect to accelerate to 120knots to climb. The 206 is perfect for me right now. 4 hours to get me to my house in Granby. Just rotate and climb away. Yeah, it's slow but it climbs away even if I'm hauling gold bars.

Edited by AndyFromCB

6 hours ago, AndyFromCB said:

What,  not fast enough for you ;-) I get to load everything, plus the kitchen sink for my 525nm milk run. Nothing can do this as cheap as a 206 as safely. I looked into the TNed A36/B36 an I hate the gross weight departure climb rates, waiting in ground effect to accelerate to 120knots to climb. The 206 is perfect for me right now. 4 hours to get me to my house in Granby. Just rotate and climb away. Yeah, it's slow but it climbs away even if I'm hauling gold bars.

I was actually thinking of the fuel burn and useful load.

Clarence

On 9/7/2017 at 9:32 PM, golfpilot said:

You are basically describing my airplane. The wing was designed by Al Mooney! Its a 1960 Comanche 250 with tip tanks. Over 1200lb useful. You can load up 800lbs of people, 72gals (of the 86gals usable), 155-160kts above 9000ft and fly 870NM. Top off the tanks and go 1100NM with 700lbs of people.