Speed Mods

I had the drunken bobble head effect on my C's compass.  A certain vibration had become noticeable only by the compass.  Not by the seat of the pants...

I had a broken weld in the engine mount trying to let me know it wanted attention.

A nice way of saying that probably isn't normal...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Kyle,

You just captured the addictive nature of the power to weight ratio.

• Driver Ed car vs. Corvette.
  • 106hp C152 when the instructor gets out.
  • A cold solo day with your 180hp M20C.
  • A 280hp IO550 swapped out with a 310hp, TopProp shod engine.

Fun days ahead... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Kyle,

You just captured the addictive nature of the power to weight ratio.

• Driver Ed car vs. Corvette.
  • 106hp C152 when the instructor gets out.
  • A cold solo day with your 180hp M20C.
  • A 280hp IO550 swapped out with a 310hp, TopProp shod engine.

Fun days ahead... :)

Best regards,

-a-

No....starting up higher on your list - I rode my bicycle up White Face Mountain (near Lake Placid) - its about 3500 ft of vertical, at an average of 8% and it never gets even for a minute to be a shallow hill.  Its quite a slog up that hill on my bicycle....trying to keep up with my 19 year old son...but failing.  Eh, I made it .  So in about 1:45?  That is one hour and 45 minutes.  All the while, I am thinking how I have flown past it in the mooney several times, and how I can climb 3500 ft in about 1:45 on a nice cold day.  That is one minute and forty five seconds. Its faster in the Mooney.  More power to weight ratio. 

Now if I were Steve Austin the six million dollar man.  Come to think of it, how much do you think Steve would cost in current dollars?

On 9/7/2017 at 9:22 AM, Marauder said:

Brian -- what mods do you have on your F now? (other than the removable ones?). I know Guitarman's 1975 F has the lower cowl enclosure but not the windshield and he is averaging 147 KTAS. My 1975 F has the lower cowl enclosure, the 201 windshield and gap seals. I routinely will see 152 KTAS. 

My '69 F cruises in the Mid to high 140's WOT, 2510RPM 6-9K altitude, RAM air open 9.2-9.3 GPH @  25 ish LOP on hotest cyl. I depart most times with full tanks (64) mostly with 2 people and a good bit of junk in baggage (30-50 lbs), so medium to heavy. I have all flap, gap, aileron hinge fairings. Lower cowl enclosure. Otherwise standard cowling and one piece, but not 201 windshield. If you have a TN engine @12+ gph, something odd is seems to be going on. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If you have a TN engine @12+ gph, something odd is seems to be going on. 

Oh, it's odd alright. Honestly, it just lacks any speed mod. No gap seals, no fairings, no newer cowl, no 201 windshield, lots of antennas...the engine operates wonderfully, great compressions, makes full power, yada...not sure what else it could be. Of course, if I flew at 6K I would be flying underground. I'm always above 12K.

1 hour ago, Brian Scranton said:

Oh, it's odd alright. Honestly, it just lacks any speed mod. No gap seals, no fairings, no newer cowl, no 201 windshield, lots of antennas...the engine operates wonderfully, great compressions, makes full power, yada...not sure what else it could be. Of course, if I flew at 6K I would be flying underground. I'm always above 12K.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

My '69 F cruises in the Mid to high 140's WOT, 2510RPM 6-9K altitude, RAM air open 9.2-9.3 GPH @  25 ish LOP on hotest cyl. I depart most times with full tanks (64) mostly with 2 people and a good bit of junk in baggage (30-50 lbs), so medium to heavy. I have all flap, gap, aileron hinge fairings. Lower cowl enclosure. Otherwise standard cowling and one piece, but not 201 windshield. If you have a TN engine @12+ gph, something odd is seems to be going on. 

My 1970 C has the guppy mouth closure, 201 windshield and nothing else. I also have a 3 blade Hartzell, which is supposed to improve climb at the cost of 2-3 knots cruise. If I'm twiddling knobs on the 430W correctly, at 8000-10,000 msl, WOT minus a little bit and 2500, I'm getting 145-148 KTAS on ~8.8 gph block time. Using my fingers instead, 144 mph indicated at 9500 msl means add 19%, or 144 + 29 - 1 = 172 mphT = 149 KTAS, if I'm doing it right. 

SOOOO, why aren't your 200 hp Fs faster than my little 180 hp C with a "3 bladed speed brake" on the front????

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Hi Brian. no worries just thought maybe it was rigging or something so wanted to calm it out.

Hank I have the 3-bladed speed brake as well. I know mine needs rigging for sure.... maybe that will help a bit. 

I redid some rigging this year during my annual to lower why right aileron. So, now the wings look nice and flat. However, I have never put the rigging boards on the wings. In all honestly, I am sure I could bring it to LASAR, spend $5000 and pick up 5KTAS pretty quickly. 

On 9/6/2017 at 6:33 PM, Brian Scranton said:

So, I've been flying a lot lately. Maybe 75 hours in the last 3 months. Mostly with the family, dog, gear, high, hot, heavy...and I have found that my speed is consistently around 138-144KTAS in my turbo-normalized 1975 M20F (RayJay), running 24/2450, 12gph (100 ROP on the TIT) at 10,000-16,000ft with a VSI of 300-450 between 6000 and 12,000. 

Today I made a few speed mods. I left the wife, kid, dog and gear at home--and screamed up to 16,000 averaging 600-700fpm. Cruise was 148KTAS, 24/2450, 12gph ROP.

I get it. Weight makes such a huge difference. Not ready to drop carbs from my diet yet, but I am close. 

Why not run more MP pressure??  

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, Brian Scranton said:

I would start with rigging.

10 hours ago, petegaz40 said:

Why not run more MP pressure??  

I suppose I could, then just run more rich...but I am limited to 65% power if I want to fly efficiently (11.5gph). If I were to fly at 27/2500 I would be around 15gph. 

7 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

It should run LOP at 11 gph.  But you can only get that kind of power below 4000'

I have a TN, so I can get 25+ all the up to FL20...but I can't run LOP. My spread is too wide. Need some GAMIs. 

On 9/19/2017 at 8:13 AM, bluehighwayflyer said:

As for the effectiveness of all of these speed mods, they must really work because several of you are claiming comparable or better efficiency out of your vintage Mooneys than I can get out of my 201. Our C must be a real dog in comparison. Just keep doing what you are doing and be happy because whatever it is you are doing it right. 

First Mooney so I am not sure. May have to zoom to see the gauges, but this is pretty normal. The Outside temp on JPI is lying....I'm on my second probe, second installation and it still reads unbelievably hot vs actual temp. So ignore OAT. 

N9150V.thumb.jpeg.01ad9ee434bbd1a5f9dea0e7106cdf1a.jpeg

Your engine parameters all look great but at first glance indicating 175 MPH at 6,500' while burning 9.2 GPH seems suspect to me. I wonder about the accuracy of your air speed indicator?

According to the POH, that is spot on, although the HP is slightly off, should be 65%, guessing they are using 15 instead of 14.9 for the engine factor.

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Your engine parameters all look great but at first glance indicating 175 MPH at 6,500' while burning 9.2 GPH seems suspect to me. I wonder about the accuracy of your air speed indicator?

Have to agree with @bluehighwayflyer.The 530 is showing 150 kts. across the ground at 6,500' with 9.2 GPH @ 69% HP. That sounds about right, but that ASI almost seems to be showing TAS, which is fairly unlikely.