Oil Filler Funnel

Brandontwalker

I was perusing Mooney ads and ran across something that stuck out in one as being a must have.  For years, I have carried around an oily funnel inside an ammo box I use for my extra quart of oil, spare spark plugs and other necessities.  The oil filler on this particular Mooney has a funnel built in and seems to be a simple, but ingenious, solution.  The only question I have is where to buy one? 

Oil Filler Funnel.jpg

That was a mod from the 80s/90s from Norm "the Mooney Miser" Smith and his company, Aero-Trim.  He died and I believe his family is keeping some of his STC's going- but I don't think this is one that made the cut.

I put one on my first Mooney.  It was nice, but not great.  I was not going to put it on my current Mooney even if it were available.  A good oil extension works perfectly for me (and Philips includes one in every case of 20W50 it sells.)

And I bought 6 12oz bottles that fit through the door and are short enough to allow tipping them up inside the cowling to add the oil.  Allows me to add oil with Camguard premixed 1/3 quart at a time.  When done, screw the lid back on.  No mess.  Put it back in the baggage compartment.

I keep my funnel in an old oil can back at the hangar--use it, then move it back to the old can, must have ~1/4" of oil dripped into the bottom of it since moving South in '14. I carry disposable paper funnels in the plane for use away from home. No muss, no fuss.

Are some disposable paper funnels better quality than others? I used a paper funnel an FBO gave me a few months ago and it was flimsy. I had to watch and support it so it didn't collapse on itself spilling oil all over the engine compartment! 

Unless I find that better ones exist I just don't trust them.

11 hours ago, PTK said:

Are some disposable paper funnels better quality than others? I used a paper funnel an FBO gave me a few months ago and it was flimsy. I had to watch and support it so it didn't collapse on itself spilling oil all over the engine compartment! 

Unless I find that better ones exist I just don't trust them.

These ones are good:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/oilfunnel.php?clickkey=8838&PANEL=292Click%2BHere%2Bfor%2BSlick%2BStyle%2FabrA%2BHREF%3D

I use the free spouts (blue) that come with a case of oil. It screws into the filler tube. When it's in place it is easy to pour and then snap the oil bottle onto it. I cap one end of the spout with and oil bottle cap and plug the other end with a paper towel and wrap the spout in a shop rag and put it in the nylon bag with 2 quarts of oil inside my maintenance backpack. The quart oil bottles have 1.4 oz of CamGuard already added.  

• Like 1

I use a filler spout with an on/off valve. Just rotate neck to off position, screw on to quart of oil, place in oil filler and rotate to on. Very convenient and spill free. And never any scamguard...just pure and unadulterated Aeroshell!

• Like 1

I would not pour oil into the permanently mounted funnel in the OP picture.  That looks like a great place for dirt and debris to collect.  As a matter of fact, if there was contamination you would not even be able to remove the dipstick without fear of debris going into the engine. 

1 hour ago, Bartman said:

I would not pour oil into the permanently mounted funnel in the OP picture.  That looks like a great place for dirt and debris to collect.  As a matter of fact, if there was contamination you would not even be able to remove the dipstick without fear of debris going into the engine. 

Good point

Didn't think about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk