Hangars and extension cords...

On September 5, 2017 at 11:40 PM, Marauder said:

So true. If you are ever nearby N57, there is always something cold to drink in Marauder's fridge. And while you're here, pull up a lounge chair and watch him try to put his plane back together again. It's truly a sight to behold.

Note to self; don't buy more than one mod at a time. Just don't do it!

2020f11e018ae7e7d7708fc5b1250f92.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nicely stocked, but where are the adult beverages?

Clarence

3 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

You can build your own "approved cabinet" out of wood.  There are specs for the design.  The key is to reduce fire load in the event of fire. They need to have a vent.  You are trying to deprive a fire of oxygen and fuel.  Hanger fires do happen.  There are others adjacent that have exposure to improper electrical installations and combustible/flammable liquids.  I am glad that the airport commission completes the inspections to reduce non-aviation exposures in public hangers.  I use grounded extension cords for block heater if I am flying the next day.  I don't store other flammable in my hanger.  One persons "project" is another's nightmare of "what if's".

I have a hanger to shelter my aircraft and store cleaning supplies in a cabinet.  I have a ceramic heater that I use and I do have some concern that it could cause a fire.  I turn it on the night before a flight vs. "all the time".  Just trying to mitigate potential exposure.  I guess I am the "odd duck" in that regard.

Where might one look for specs to build their own fire complaint cabinet. Sounds like my kind of project. 

Just now, DonMuncy said:

Where might one look for specs to build their own fire complaint cabinet. Sounds like my kind of project. 

OSHA.gov. Type in approved flammable storage cabinets in search.  Specs will be provided. :)

NFPA 30 is flammable storage

On 9/6/2017 at 2:27 AM, ragedracer1977 said:

I think this is what I'm going to do.  I can comfortably do it hot, but if I screw up and pop the breaker, who knows what I take offline in someone else's hangar.  Then I have to call and fess up.  Which would probably be worse for me.  ;)

Why not wire an OEM looking long cord to the fridge?  If you pop the breaker, just tell them you were soldering or charging a battery...or make friends with the hangar owner with the panel...

man, how much time do you all spend in your hangars. Ours is kind of gross, and I don't leave a small fridge with drinks because it'd just freeze in the winter.

I use my hangar as an office away from my office when I am in the area, and road traffic is a mess. I also use the "hangar office" for last minute alterations to flight plans, and for post flight internal reviews, aircraft cleanup, logbook entry, and to have coffee or cold beverages after the flight. No Molson (or Coronas), but I do keep non-alcohol St. Paul Girl "beers". Much prefer the real stuff, but not if I am going to fly again soon. Also a great place to visit with aviation friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, takair said:

Why not wire an OEM looking long cord to the fridge?  If you pop the breaker, just tell them you were soldering or charging a battery...or make friends with the hangar owner with the panel...

The hangar is owned by the City of Phoenix.  I don't know that I can make friends with them.  :P

10 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

But you can make friends with the guy who resets the breaker!

Right...the last hangar I rented housed the breaker panel and I made a few friends who had questionable electricity habits.  Usually the corner hangar....