Elliot Seguin Quickie crash

53 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Any possibility of posting it using YouTube for iPad users to partake?

Best regards,

-a-

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/34_3/exploring/High-Desert-Tales-Scary-Stuff_21769-1.html

Anthony,

Here is a longer version.  I don't own the video, so I don't think I can upload it to youtube.  If you skip to about 40 minutes into the video the crash sequence starts.

https://www.redbull.tv/video/AP-1MRD4KSDW1W11/mojave-test-pilot

Edited by ragedracer1977

Thanks for the link, Raged.

It would be interesting to know....

• the thrust to weight ratio they were working with...  More or less than a 310 hp Mooney.
  • What the relationship with Mooney is...  (huge Mooney decal on the plane)
  • What drives these guys to take on so much risk?  Was there a pay-off?

The 1.5 minutes of Dick Rutan input was worth watching the whole video... that plane has an inherent amount of flex....

Cross wind landing with the wheels on the wing tips of a flexible wing... How is that ever going to work?  Dick gave the answer...  do not bounce the plane!

Best regards,

-a-

So, I'm trying to wrap my head around some facts from this video-

PROBLEM- He doesn't fit in the airplane with his helmet and parachute

SOLUTION- Fly anyway without a parachute instead of waiting to modify the rudder pedals

PROBLEM- There is an issue with the left engine shutting down, apparently when you go to idle

SOLUTION- Fly anyway instead of resolving the engine issue

RESULT:  upon landing in a gusty crosswind in an airplane that appears to be notoriously difficult in crosswinds, add power during the go around only to realize that the problematic left engine has failed.  Then, using poor multi-engine pilot technique, lose control of the airplane due to attempting flight at full power below the Vmc of the airplane.  (Vmc is the Minimum Controllable airspeed for a multi-engine airplane with full power on the good engine and none on the failed engine.)

Even the stated policy of the test regime was to retard the throttle of the good engine to idle if thrust was lost on the failed engine.  If this guy had done that, he would have crashed straight ahead and not Vmc-rolled the airplane into parked 747s.  I wonder if he even has a multi-engine license?

FINALLY: Release a video showing all the world how cool you are for being a Test Pilot.  I can't stop thinking this guy is just a very brave publicity seeking dumbass.

• Like 2

Boy, this thing sure invites second guessing. Can anyone here with test pilot protocol experience defend the underlying chain of what seem to be poor decisions? The builder/pilot seems to have a number of "sponsors" of some sort, Rutan's cameo aside, I wonder if he provided for input.

3 hours ago, bonal said:

All I know is when looking at it as a second only flight and as he passed by the wind sock I thought what the hell were they thinking flying it in those conditions. Glad he wasn't hurt badly.  I think more than luck.

From what he wrote, they were specifically testing crosswind landing characteristics.