Savvy Reports now available for A/B/C/D/E/G / IO-360

HRM

We're pleased to let you know that N5976Q is now supported for Report Cards and Trend Analysis reports. We have added support for the M20 (A/B/C/D/E/G) / IO-360 cohort.

If you are a SavvyAnalysis Pro, SavvyMx or SavvyQA client, you can create reports online, on demand, for your aircraft.

If you use the SavvyAnalysis Free service you can learn more about SavvyAnalysis Pro.

Not familiar with our reports? See the Reports FAQ, sample Report Card and sample 5-page Trend Analysis report.

Questions or comments? Please contact us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I hope Savvy knows that the E is the only M20 model listed that actually has an IO-360 installed. ;)

Jim

Yeah, the M20, M20-A, -B, -C, -D and -G is the O-360 cohort. Surely Mike Busch is savvy enough to know that.

Oh, and Harley, what happened to shrink your font to half size???

I posted this in another thread on the Modern Mooney forum that pretty much kicked this all off leading to the recent new reports but since given this thread I thought I should repost it here too.

Since the cohort is confusing, due to some early choices we made in grouping similar models into Savvy Aircraft models I'll try to clear up this up with an example.

Here is an example, generating a report card on Bob's E model.

When a Vintage Mooney user enters their N number into the drop list, it will display the Savvy Aircraft model that is shown right after the N number below in the report header. However, although the E model, are combined in the Savvy Aircraft Model M20A/B/C/D/E/G, the reports are based on a unique cohort that uses both Aircraft model and Engine model. In this example the aircraft model includes only two engine type i) all O-360 180 HP, and ii) all IO-360 200 HP. You can think of the cohort as the intersection of aircraft models with the specific engine - in this example the IO-360 i only a match for the E model and eliminates everything else. (its not intended to read as all the A/B/C/D/E/G use an io-360!) And in this examples, Bob's E model is being reported on along with 31 other E models. The second cohort, with the O-360 engine, includes all the carbureted models only as expected i.e., M20A/B/C/D/G.

I hope that makes sense, and it took me a long time to decipher since I was only reading incorrectly as the union of the models and engine - mistake on my part.

We realize the use of our current aircraft models can be confusing but its going to take some time to make some significant changes down the road; meanwhile bear with us that the cohort is the unique tuple of our savvy aircraft model and engine combination.   

savvyanalysis_reportcard_header.e21e3ee1b732.png

N943RW · M20 (A/B/C/D/E/G) · IO-360 · EDM-930

Includes 33 flights between Sep 05, 2016 and Sep 05, 2017, compared with 693 flights by a cohort of 31 M20 (A/B/C/D/E/G) aircraft.

So some of you may be wondering about differences in engine suffixes, like Dual mag versus separate mags and Anthony brings up 20 degree vs 25 timing differences. It gets much worse because we have clients that have installed electronic ignition, other STC engine mods for Merlyn pneumatic wastegates and/or Intercoolers on 231 K models, and STC HP increases on essentially same IO-550-G. It goes on and on. We do track most of this stuff for our clients that we report on, but we haven't yet incorporated these details into our Savvy aircraft model information so its neither available to our reporting software nor is the information even collected with our free account users. But just not yet though.  Give us time....

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kortopates said:

I posted this in another thread on the Modern Mooney forum that pretty much kicked this all off leading to the recent new reports but since given this thread I thought I should repost it here too.

Since the cohort is confusing, due to some early choices we made in grouping similar models into Savvy Aircraft models I'll try to clear up this up with an example.

Here is an example, generating a report card on Bob's E model.

When a Vintage Mooney user enters their N number into the drop list, it will display the Savvy Aircraft model that is shown right after the N number below in the report header. However, although the E model, are combined in the Savvy Aircraft Model M20A/B/C/D/E/G, the reports are based on a unique cohort that uses both Aircraft model and Engine model. In this example the aircraft model includes only two engine type i) all O-360 180 HP, and ii) all IO-360 200 HP. You can think of the cohort as the intersection of aircraft models with the specific engine - in this example the IO-360 i only a match for the E model and eliminates everything else. (its not intended to read as all the A/B/C/D/E/G use an io-360!) And in this examples, Bob's E model is being reported on along with 31 other E models. The second cohort, with the O-360 engine, includes all the carbureted models only as expected i.e., M20A/B/C/D/G.

I hope that makes sense, and it took me a long time to decipher since I was only reading incorrectly as the union of the models and engine - mistake on my part.

We realize the use of our current aircraft models can be confusing but its going to take some time to make some significant changes down the road; meanwhile bear with us that the cohort is the unique tuple of our savvy aircraft model and engine combination.   

savvyanalysis_reportcard_header.e21e3ee1b732.png

Includes 33 flights between Sep 05, 2016 and Sep 05, 2017, compared with 693 flights by a cohort of 31 M20 (A/B/C/D/E/G) aircraft.

So some of you may be wondering about differences in engine suffixes, like Dual mag versus separate mags and Anthony brings up 20 degree vs 25 timing differences. It gets much worse because we have clients that have installed electronic ignition, other STC engine mods for Merlyn pneumatic wastegates and/or Intercoolers on 231 K models, and STC HP increases on essentially same IO-550-G. It goes on and on. We do track most of this stuff for our clients that we report on, but we haven't yet incorporated these details into our Savvy aircraft model information so its neither available to our reporting software nor is the information even collected with our free account users. But just not yet though.  Give us time....

@kortopates Paul, to be sure I understand, despite the reference to the  31 M20 (A/B/C/D/E/G) aircraft cohort, the comparison for my E is only to the other Es? It seems logical to me that there would be at least 31 Es in your DB. To throw in a monkey wrench, I wonder if the mathematical tools employed recognize and perhaps throw out flight like the Caravan several formation flights that are done at low altitude, full rich, full prop, etc. that would distort averages. Would it be useful to delete those flights for my Savvy DB?     

savvyanalysis_trend_analysis_header.c8229830c536.png

Includes 33 flights between Sep 04, 2016 and Sep 04, 2017, compared with 693 flights by a cohort of 31 M20 (A/B/C/D/E/G) aircraft.

annotated-trend-chart.d5f5dd91506e.jpg

PERCENT POWER IN CRUISE

Measures your engine's power output during cruise flight. High power output for extended periods can contribute to reduced fuel efficiency, elevated CHT and reduced cylinder life.

SAVVY SAYS...

The median of your engine's power output during cruise flights is about average.

ALTITUDE IN CRUISE (MSL)

Measures the altitude during the cruise phase of flight. For turbocharged aircraft, higher altitudes generally provide better performance and efficiency.

SAVVY SAYS...

Your cruising altitudes tend to be at mid-levels, resulting in average fuel efficiency and performance.

SPEED IN CRUISE (K.)

We use TAS if available, otherwise ground speed. Higher speed might be due to high power output, resulting in high CHT and reduced cylinder life. Or possibly operation at higher, more efficient altitudes.

SAVVY SAYS...

Your cruise speed is higher than average when compared with your cohort.

FUEL EFFICIENCY (NM PER GAL.)

Measures your aircraft's fuel efficiency during cruise flight.

SAVVY SAYS...

Your aircraft's fuel efficiency is average when compared to your cohort.

MAXIMUM CHT DURING FLIGHT (DEG. F.)

Measures the maximum CHT attained during each flight, most likely during climb phase. Prolonged periods of high CHT can contribute to reduced cylinder life.

SAVVY SAYS...

Not bad. The median of the maximum CHTs attained during your flights has been higher than 60% of the cohort. We think you can expect average longevity of your cylinders if you continue operating with your current power settings.

MAXIMUM CHT IN CRUISE (DEG. F.)

Measures the maximum cylinder head temperature (CHT) during the cruise phase of flight, an indication of the stress placed on your engine's reciprocating components. High CHT correlates with reduced longevity of cylinder assemblies.

SAVVY SAYS...

Your cruise CHTs have been higher than 78% of the cohort which is higher than we like to see. We suggest that you adjust your leaning procedures and/or power settings to reduce your CHTs in cruise.

MAXIMIMUM CHT SPREAD IN CRUISE (DEG. F.)

Measures the median temperature spread between your hottest and coolest cylinders at maximum CHT during cruise. The spread is an indication of mixture distribution and the adequacy of cooling airflow to all cylinders.

SAVVY SAYS...

The median value of the maximum CHT spread during cruise flights is higher than 78% of the cohort.

OIL PRESSURE IN CRUISE (PSI)

Measures the average oil pressures during cruise for your flights.

SAVVY SAYS...

Your average oil pressures during cruise have a median value in the mid-range of the cohort. Your oil pressures are in the normal range.

OIL TEMPERATURE IN CRUISE

Measures average oil temperature during cruise.

SAVVY SAYS...

The median of your average oil temperatures during cruise are higher than 73% of the cohort. Your oil temperatures are in the normal range.

MAXIMUM FUEL FLOW DURING FLIGHT

Measures maximum fuel flow during flight, most likely during takeoff. Sufficient fuel flow is important for proper cylinder cooling during high power operations

SAVVY SAYS...

Your maximum fuel flow is average when compared with your cohort.

MAXIMUM RPM DURING FLIGHT

Measures maximum rpm during flight, most likely during takeoff. Maximum permitted RPM is necessary for the engine to develop full rated power during takeoff and in initial climb.

SAVVY SAYS...

Your maximum RPM is higher than average when compared with your cohort.

MAXIMUM MAP DURING FLIGHT

Measures maximum manifold pressure during flight, most likely during takeoff. Sufficient MAP, not to exceed redline, is necessary for the engine to develop full rated power during takoff and initial climb

SAVVY SAYS...

Your maximum MAP is average when compared with your cohort.

INACTIVITY PERIODS (DAYS)

Measures the number of days your aircraft was inactive between flights. Inactivity can contribute to engine corrosion and reduced life of engine components.

SAVVY SAYS...

Your engine's inactivity is about average when compared to your cohort. Savvy recommends continuing to fly as frequently as possible

For more information about the contents of this SavvyAnalysis Trend Analysis report and how to interpret it, see our FAQ page. If you have questions or comments, please let us know

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Paul, to be sure I understand, despite the reference to the  31 M20 (A/B/C/D/E/G) aircraft cohort, the comparison for my E is only to the other Es?

Yes, its only the IO-360 powered aircraft that make up the cohort, not just the more inclusive aircraft model. It had me very confused as well. But since the automated reporting is based on a cohort, which is the tuple of aircraft model AND engine. Showing the more inclusive aircraft model gets confusing. This will get cleaned up, but I don't know how long to expect. 

As for throwing out flights, there might be some flights discarded if the cruise flight is never detected, as Chris discussed in the other thread, but for the most part no. We're very limited in ability to delete flights too. They can be deleted but only by the data file name used to upload them. Since a data file could be one flight or many flights; your selectivity to delete all depends on how they were downloaded from the monitor.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Yes, its only the IO-360 powered aircraft that make up the cohort, not just the more inclusive aircraft model. It had me very confused as well. But since the automated reporting is based on a cohort, which is the tuple of aircraft model AND engine. Showing the more inclusive aircraft model gets confusing. This will get cleaned up, but I don't know how long to expect. 

As for throwing out flights, there might be some flights discarded if the cruise flight is never detected, as Chris discussed in the other thread, but for the most part no. We're very limited in ability to delete flights too. They can be deleted but only by the data file name used to upload them. Since a data file could be one flight or many flights; your selectivity to delete all depends on how they were downloaded from the monitor.

I have in the past deleted duplicate flights and the Savvy DB seemed to be okay with that. (I usually download "new flights" from the 930 but sometimes I've download "all flights" which creates duplicates. So... I suppose I could remove the "atypical" flights and regenerate the summary and trend reports. 

• Like 1