New M20E Owner!

Well, after a few years of looking, I'm finally a Mooney owner!

I bought a friend's airplane, and I have been lucky to fly with him in this airplane for the past few years, so I'm intimately familiar with its history and maintenance. I'm very excited to be its next caretaker and learning more about it. I'm also looking forward to the hopefully many trips that I will take with this wonderful machine.

For those who have been following my posts, I am still looking for a partner for this airplane, but I could not pass on the opportunity to buy the airplane while I look for the partner.  So, if anyone is interested, please let me know. The airplane is hangared at Gaithersburg, Maryland (KGAI).

Here are a couple of pictures of the new airplane!

Fernando

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_3074.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I love the panel. Do you have an engine monitor? If not, get one. 

Thanks Paul. No, unfortunately, no engine monitor.  That is high on my list, and I hope that I get a partner soon and that we accomplish this for the next annual. My next immediate expense -- aside from attending MAPA's Pilot Proficiency Program next weekend at  Frederick MD -- is to upgrade the 330 transponder to ADSB out and get the $500 back from the government, which will substantially reduce the upgrade cost.

You still reccommend the G2 as the best stand alone monitor?  How much do you figure installed?

Fernando

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, prflyer said:

Thanks Paul. No, unfortunately, no engine monitor.  That is high on my list, and I hope that I get a partner soon and that we accomplish this for the next annual. My next immediate expense -- aside from attending MAPA's Pilot Proficiency Program next weekend at  Frederick MD -- is to upgrade the 330 transponder to ADSB out and get the $500 back from the government, which will substantially reduce the upgrade cost.

You still reccommend the G2 as the best stand alone monitor?  How much do you figure installed?

Yes, I still think the G2 is the best of the budget stand alone monitors. I think the unit can be had for $2K with all the probes, fuel flow, etc. And the install should be between 10 and 20 hours. 

• Like 1

Congratulations! And welcome to the M20E club. 

Our panels panel are pretty similar though I like the position of your gear indicator lights better than mine. 

To the EDM advice you've received above I would add my $0.02 that you check those control cables carefully. The throttle, mixture, prop knobs all appear to be original or at least quite old. McFarlane recommends those cables have a useful service life that approximates the engine's TBO (2000 hours). Recommended Service Life Due to the criticalness of engine controls and considering their operating environment the maximum recommended in service time for McFarlane engine controls is equal to the maximum time between engine overhauls as recommended by the engine manufacturer.

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/media/documents/control-eligibility.pdf

IMG_20160523_102056387.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Congratulations! And welcome to the M20E club. 

Our panels panel are pretty similar though I like the position of your gear indicator lights better than mine. 

To the EDM advice you've received above I would add my $0.02 that you check those control cables carefully. The throttle, mixture, prop knobs all appear to be original or at least quite old. McFarlane recommends those cables have a useful service life that approximates the engine's TBO (2000 hours). Recommended Service Life Due to the criticalness of engine controls and considering their operating environment the maximum recommended in service time for McFarlane engine controls is equal to the maximum time between engine overhauls as recommended by the engine manufacturer.

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/media/documents/control-eligibility.pdf

IMG_20160523_102056387.jpg

Thanks Bob. You are too kind. Your panel is a work of art, with great equipment.  Thank you also about your comments regarding the cables. I will check the logs and if I don't see any notation about that I will certainly take a close look at them and will consider changing them at annual time.  Hopefully I will get to meet you in the near future.

Regards,

Fernando

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

My first airplane was an E model. I flew it all over the USA: Fun times. Hope you enjoy your plane as much & I look forward to seeing you at a local Mooney gathering. 

Thanks Jerry. I look forward to meeting you in person as well in the near future.

Regards,

Fernando

1 hour ago, prflyer said:

Thanks Bob. You are too kind. Your panel is a work of art, with great equipment.  Thank you also about your comments regarding the cables. I will check the logs and if I don't see any notation about that I will certainly take a close look at them and will consider changing them at annual time.  Hopefully I will get to meet you in the near future.

Regards,

Fernando

Fernando - I could be wrong but I think one may have been replaced during the last few years - I may be mistaking that with another Mooney owner at GAI thought.

-Seth

• Like 1

On 9/4/2017 at 5:47 PM, prflyer said:

Well, after a few years of looking, I'm finally a Mooney owner!

I bought a friend's airplane, and I have been lucky to fly with him in this airplane for the past few years, so I'm intimately familiar with its history and maintenance. I'm very excited to be its next caretaker and learning more about it. I'm also looking forward to the hopefully many trips that I will take with this wonderful machine.

For those who have been following my posts, I am still looking for a partner for this airplane, but I could not pass on the opportunity to buy the airplane while I look for the partner.  So, if anyone is interested, please let me know. The airplane is hangared at Gaithersburg, Maryland (KGAI).

Here are a couple of pictures of the new airplane!

Fernando

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_3074.JPG

Official CONGRATULATIONS Fernando!!  Great bird!!

I too have flown with the previous owner of this M20E multiple times.  It's a great E - Fast too for an E.  Easy 150+ knots all day.  The panel has been upgraded during the last few years of ownership and it's been often annulled by the local MSC.

If I did not own my Missile, I would become Fernando's partner in a heartbeat - great person and the right attitude.  If anyone is even thinking about a partnership or taking the jump into ownership in the greater Washington, DC region (MD, VA, heck even WV and PA), contact Fernando. How could you not partner on this airplane after looking at these pics!!

Take care,

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Thanks 1