Towbar or control lock, or something else?

jwoolard

Biggen Hill brings back some great memories.  I delivered a single engine Meyers 200D to John Hull there from Knoxville, Tn.  There Was an old antique twin engine used for sightseeing then. For extra fuel I tried lots of things including PT boat tanks which were manufactured by Meyers during the war.  inch too wide. Ended up with a 55 gal drum in the back seat strapped in.  Frobisher YFK to Godthab NUUK to Rejevic KEF  to biggen hill.  this was before GPS or Loran C small enough to fit in a small cockpit.  I thought I knew how to fly ADF until 800 miles from Frobisher at midnight in a snowstorm. jerryP

2 hours ago, kpaul said:

Must be a control lock, the horse shoed ends on the rudder peddals.  Not entirely sure how the yoke portion would be placed.

I thought so too - but with those ends on the pedals, the other end is about 6 inches short of the yoke at its forward position.

1 hour ago, acpartswhse said:

Biggen Hill brings back some great memories.  I delivered a single engine Meyers 200D to John Hull there from Knoxville, Tn.  There Was an old antique twin engine used for sightseeing then. For extra fuel I tried lots of things including PT boat tanks which were manufactured by Meyers during the war.  inch too wide. Ended up with a 55 gal drum in the back seat strapped in.  Frobisher YFK to Godthab NUUK to Rejevic KEF  to biggen hill.  this was before GPS or Loran C small enough to fit in a small cockpit.  I thought I knew how to fly ADF until 800 miles from Frobisher at midnight in a snowstorm. jerryP

Wow, must have been a while back! I'd love to fly transatlantic some day - but with a GPS and every other possible aid!

Welcome aboard, JW (Johannesburg and Emily)

Got a picture of the other end that you can share?

I haven't seen anything like it before.  Most likely, not a Mooney specific part.

If it isn't a flight control lock...  it is looking like a tow bar.

If it is a tow bar, it must have a method of connecting to the nose wheel.

Did your plane come with a tow bar?

Are you able to maintain contact with the previous owner?

Take a moment to add some detail to your avatar.  It will help people, to help you...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, wrench said:

Does the male ends plug into the bottom of the Control yoke holes then you just would slide the bar on the floor the vertical position to lock the wheel? Just a guess but it looks like the width is about right.

My guess as well,  seatbelt to hold the yoke back

Here's my guess, the curved end toward us in the picture goes curved end down on the carpet, the horizontal bar presses on the rudder pedals as shown by the scratches, the other end engages the control wheel by pulling it aft and slipping the "U" shaped ends on to the wheel.  Setting the trim will add a bit of tension to hold it in place.

Clarence

Looks too well built to be one off, yet you have stumped the panel so far.  Can you get a close up photo of the far end?  I have three guesses.  1. Not intended for Mooney 2. U shaped end pushes agains seat back, seatbelt holds it in place, other end goes agains yoke in full forward while adjusting seat to hold it there. 3. Some sort of auxiliary jack stand when using tail weight....although I can't quite picture where it would capture the engine mounts on a K.  Once we figure out what it is, I might want one too.

37 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I'd like to see someone climb out the baggage door, with or without a ladder.

Clarence

Unfortunately, I recently did just that a few times. I had all the upholstery out of the baggage compartment for antenna removal and installation. I climbed into the baggage compartment to put it back together and had to climb out. A lot of folding and unfolding a 6 ft tall 60 year old body.