Rideshare section

jasona900

I recently flew my plane back from Maxwell, and on the American Airlines flight down, I had an idea.  Wouldn't it be nice to hitch a ride with a fellow Mooney owner who may be going in the same direction as me?   As a result, I was wondering if there would be any interest in creating a Rideshare section.  We could use this section to coordinate a ride home while your Mooney is in annual / out for maintenance at a far-away shop, help a fellow member who may have broke down on a trip, or introduce the next person to one of our awesome machines, or even find a safety pilot while you get your practice approaches in.   I have seen similar posts in various sections of Mooneyspace, but believe an opportunity to help can get missed when certain sections of the forum aren't checked by everyone (myself included).  This is why a dedicated section can make it easier for those interested to help.

• Like 5

A couple people out here in the Pacific NW started groups on Facebook just for people in our area.  One is about flying in general and another is specifically when looking for a safety pilot.  One group has about 50 pilots and the other has over 1000.  People post requests in one or the other or both and usually find someone to help.

You might want to consider starting a similar Facebook group in your area.  Maybe call it the Big 12 North aviators group or something similar.  Make it for people who live in NE, IA, KS, and MO.  If someone is going to give you a ride, they most likely will live somewhere relatively close to you.  That is, if you wanted to go from Omaha to Longview, TX; it's more likely to be someone who lives relatively close to either Omaha or Longview as opposed to Denver or Baltimore.  You may end up riding in brand X, but you're more likely to find someone who can help, especially if you offer to pay for some of the gas.

That's a great idea Jason. I go to Florida and Maine once or twice a year. I stop at Duplin County (KDPL) North Carolina each way for fuel. If someone needed a ride, I would be happy to take them. But, I won't join Facebook to do it.

Edited by BillC
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, BillC said:

That's a great idea Jason. I go to Florida and Maine once or twice a year. I stop at Duplin County (KDPL) North Carolina each way for fuel. If someone needed a ride, I would be happy to take them. But, I won't join Facebook to do it.

Thanks Bill.  The Facebook idea is a good one, but like you said, not everyone is on it.  

• Like 1

Quite a few of us on the west coast coordinate through LASAR for annuals and general maintenance. In older times (before liability concerns) it was not unusual to fly your airplane up to LASAR, and bring back someone else's Mooney. Now a days we just catch rides back and forth to LASAR. Works out fairly well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillC I'm old school also re Facebook, twitter, etc I'm of the opinion once your crappy linen's on Facebook, twitter etc., it's there forever for the world to see. A buddy of mine is detective for the state police who determines if an individual if fit to become a recruit, one of the first places they look for evidence is facebook

• Like 1

All it takes is a little common sense. Don't put anything on social media that you'd be ashamed of later. The truth is, this is the way people communicate now, and likely will for the foreseeable future. You don't have to participate, but then you're not participating in the conversation.

FAA? FAA?  We don't need no stinking FAA....I think we were talking about giving someone a ride when the aircraft owner is going your way. Either way,  FAR 61.113(c) clearly states sharing costs equally is completely legal as long as the pilot is going that way anyway. For me, I was talking about giving a free ride to anyone who needed it. 

• Like 1