How do I know there is pilot controlled lighting from this chart?

RobertE

As some of you may know there are lots of fires on the west coast, limiting visibility to 1 mile in lots of places along the coast.  In any event, while on this approach I guessed that 5 clicks would turn on the approach lights despite seeing nothing suggesting that on the plate.  Fortunately, the lights turned on and I could see the runway, but did I miss something on this chart?  Should we always assume a few clicks on the ctaf will turn on the lights?

IMG_0003.thumb.JPG.ee1cd28cad6de555eb3d622fa88d8392.JPG

Under the airport lighting notes there is a couple of symbols, Malsr and the other one A5(?)... does that mean pilot controlled lighting? What does it mean? Do you know where to look the symbology up in your iPad nav resource?  Wait... that's a photo of a real piece of paper you got there.  Check the front of the book it came from for the abbreviations and symbology notes...

In the lower left corner are additional lighting notes regarding the light systems available on each runway.  Again the symbol with an A5 is there... and another symbol at the end of the line...

at my home drome the PCL is on an old frequency that is no longer used as the CTAF. Clicking on the CTAF does nothing...

PP thoughts only, haven't flown in the dark in a long time...

Best regards,

-a-

There is nothing on the chart to tell you how to turn on the lights, just what kind of approach lighting. There is another whole document that includes that information and I am sure you remember what it is :) look there under "service".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The black oval with the 'L' in it next to the CTAF frequency is identical to the symbol on the low Enroute chart for pilot controlled lighting.  The legend doesn't say that's what it is, but then again it doesn't say it's anything else.  

I'd bet that's what that means- especially because it doesn't appear on charts with operating control towers- only next to a frequency that's marked 'CTAF'.

Any time landing at night at a uncontrolled field it is wise to overfly the runway at low altitude with landing lights on before landing. This will assure you of no obstructions at night. Cows and other animals prefer the runway vs grass to avoid the mosquitoes and bugs.

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1