-252 TSE for sale by widow

Lrn2Fly

10 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Had a nice useful load increase over the 252. Same horsepower, nice upgrades, etc, etc. very desirable Mooney model in my opinion. 

The Encore is actually 10 hp over the 252. 210hp for the 252 and 220hp for the Encore. Not much, granted, but not the same.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, milotron said:

Out of curiosity, do you have an SB, STC or listing of the required parts for the conversion?

Yes and no. I've been piecing the information together from various sources including @kortopates and @Parker_Woodruff. It's not an SB or STC, but just a Mooney letter that specifies the parts that must be changed. I'm happy to send you the information that I have.

One note here... it looks from your signature line that you fly a 262. I believe that is an upgraded 231? In which case it's not eligible for the Encore conversion.  My understanding is the 231 can be upgraded to the 262 and the 252 can be upgraded to the Encore.

But I can send you what I have regardless.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, all of that is completely true.  No upgrade is in the cards for me, but I was curious where they found the gross weight increase from.

Aside from the MB to SB engine upgrade, what is the nature of the other parts? Presumably they are all bolt on items or is some major surgery required?

iain

1 hour ago, milotron said:

Thanks Paul, all of that is completely true.  No upgrade is in the cards for me, but I was curious where they found the gross weight increase from.

Aside from the MB to SB engine upgrade, what is the nature of the other parts? Presumably they are all bolt on items or is some major surgery required?

There are basically two parts to the upgrade. One is the engine to upgrade it from an MB to an SB engine. The second is the airframe upgrade.

The engine upgrade increases the HP by 10 to 220 hp. This is done by adjusting the prop gov for a max RPM of 2600, an adjustment to the wastegate to increase max boost from 36" to 39", and finally a change in fuel pump, and the associated changes to engine instrumentation, red-lines, etc.

The airframe changes are just brakes and control surface counter weights. The brakes get double puck calipers and larger disks. This also requires different gear doors and some axle spacers/bushings.

That's all there is to it. This and a log book entry gets you an additional 300 lbs gross weight with a net increase of 230 lbs useful load.

• Like 1