Got real lucky

Decided to fly the lake yesterday and practice some slow flight in a North Dakota breeze 15 - 20 mph.  I've done this a hundred times before and never had any issues.  Yesterday I forgot about the birds starting their fall migratory patterns.  Roll out to a beautiful take off and spooked a bunch of birds.   A Mooney can dance!!!  I only tipped one with the left wing and no damage but my eyes were very wide.  That was a first time encounter with birds that close.  I had remembered reading that birds will dive instinctively when on a collision course and I for some reason pulled back and banked right at the perfect moment.  I'm sure it was more luck that experience but the prop wash tumbled a few and the Mooney turned and climbed perfect.  I couldn't have been 60 ft off the ground.  Now I am thinking if I could have handled this differently or should I play the lottery.

I did report it to my IFR instructor and he told me to call the 800 number posted at the airport. I gave them the info, time direction of flight and location.    The lady said if the plane has no damage they will send someone out from game and fish to survey the area in the next couple of days.  Her thoughts were they will probably put cannons at the ends of the runway to scare away the birds.   It happened so fast I was surprised that there was nothing wrong.  I felt the thud and figured I lost the wingtip light and dented the wing but there is a smudge nothing else.   Stupid lucky I guess.  Just figured I would post to remind everyone that tis the season.    We had reports a few weeks ago that deer were bedding down on or near the runway and the video cameras have wild turkeys walking across the taxiway. 

A friend hit a group of doves a while back on take off with his Cherokee.   They're not big enough to do much damage but a couple of them made quite a mess that had to be cleaned off the wings and tailplane.  He did that on his way to pick me up, so it was pretty ugly when I saw it.  Bleah.  Actually cleaned up pretty easy, though.

But, yeah, in the Dakotas and other central flyways during migration the ducks and geese can make your day very bad, even at a reasonable altitude.    Around here we have to watch for the hawks and other raptors that hang around the large, open airport spaces looking for rodents.   The Harris Hawks are social, so there's often a few of them flying together.

On 9/1/2017 at 3:10 PM, EricJ said:

A friend hit a group of doves a while back on take off with his Cherokee.   They're not big enough to do much damage but a couple of them made quite a mess that had to be cleaned off the wings and tailplane.  He did that on his way to pick me up, so it was pretty ugly when I saw it.  Bleah.  Actually cleaned up pretty easy, though.

But, yeah, in the Dakotas and other central flyways during migration the ducks and geese can make your day very bad, even at a reasonable altitude.    Around here we have to watch for the hawks and other raptors that hang around the large, open airport spaces looking for rodents.   The Harris Hawks are social, so there's often a few of them flying together.

Und lost a Seminole and both occupants to a goose at night....

• Sad 1

On September 5, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Dream to fly said:

Went out tonight and there were donkeys on the fieldd59a95c64573dd82e9998da9b9d4917c.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

They appear to be refuelling, I think you're safe to depart.

Clarence

Here in Eastern Iowa the goose migration gets very heavy in the fall. I always have it on my mind this time of the year.

The other concerning thing is they like to fly at night at times. Last night I brought the puppy outside around 11 and heard a large group of geese fly overhead! :o