Error Messages with GNS530W

AZM20C

Yesterday I was sandwiched between Luke AFB on one side of me and Sky Harbor (class bravo) on the other side and above. I was transitioning Glendale (class D) below me. Just as I was thinking how well I was doing I received the attached messages on my GNS530W. It was a little disconcerting for a semi-rookie like me. I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions on diagnosing what is causing these messages. I recently had the following work done. 1. GNS530 sent in to Garmin for a WAAS upgrade. 2. New PS Engineering PMA8000BT audio installed. 3. New Garmin GTX345 installed. My local avionics guy thinks it might be the coax that runs to the antennas. Garmin wants me to have my mechanic call them. This problem has existed since the above work was done. 

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

IMG_7007.JPG

IMG_7005.JPG

IMG_7004.JPG

IMG_7006.JPG

Did it ever recover?  I've never hear of or seen such an error.  I don't even think you would get that with loss of the antenna, seems more like a processor or internal failure.  I would call the Garmin help line.  They used to have a top notch staff....suspect they still do.

Without GPS position none of the ADS-B functions will work. On the NAV mode go to the last page to check on the satellite status. The GPS antenna or the antenna cable may be the cause.Verify also that the GNS530W is fully seated in the tray. The altitude data coming on RS-232 channel 2 may be coming from the transponder. The transponder may flag this data if no valid GPS position is received. 

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

+1 on the clean and reseat ideas... something isn't communicating as expected...

Steven,  

M20Cs have a challenge for space behind the panel that starts at the top with the center post...

The usual result is an offset of the radios. How that is done can be kind of unique...

If the top radios are modern/short ( front to back ) the offset may not be required.

When the planes left the factory, they didn't get so many radios fighting for the really limited space in the center stack.

Best regards,

-a-

I get these error messages typically 3 or 4 times in a typical 1 hour flight. The GNS530W is seated in the rack straight. I did have a good look at the rack when it was installed. It had numerous holes drilled in it. The avionics technician did mention that there were limited options on where to mount everything because the rack was used so many times previously. 

5 hours ago, AZM20C said:

I get these error messages typically 3 or 4 times in a typical 1 hour flight. The GNS530W is seated in the rack straight. I did have a good look at the rack when it was installed. It had numerous holes drilled in it. The avionics technician did mention that there were limited options on where to mount everything because the rack was used so many times previously. 

From what recall, you won't normally get that message even if you remove the antenna or encoder.  You can test the theory by simply removing the antenna coax while the unit is working on the ground.  I think you will simply lose satelites, but I don't think you will get the message.  This feels more like an internal board issue.  Would certainly continue to work with Garmin on this one.  They have a good warranty if it was just in there, so be careful about voiding it....

while cooling is not required, it is recommended.  Do you have cooling air hooked up?  I still don't think that would be the cause, but can contribute.  That gap above the unit would actually help with cooling....so I'm still leaning toward internals.

• Like 1

You may want to review the settings on the main RS 232 configuration page on the 530.  You can get to this by powering the unit on and simultaneously holding the enter page (if I remember correctly) and then scroll through the various settings pages.  There is most likely a conflict between an input and it's respective output on channel 2.  You might also want to double check the automatic ground to alt configuration in the gtx345 ( it's a nice feature if you want this feature active). This is  not necessarily related to the 530 issue, but it's something that is easy to overlook in the install.  Your avionics shop should be able to fix these fairly quickly.  

I have a problem that I think is related to the above described problem. I get loud noise in the radio. The top left (active frequency) COM window on the GNS530W displays Rx (receiving) just to the right of the active frequency. It may be coincidence but I seem to always in close proximity to an airport. This almost unbearably loud noise seems to coincide with the error messages described earlier. I made a 3 min video of the noise and put it on my YouTube channel. Here is the link:  

I am determined to get to the bottom of this. You guys have amazing knowledge about this stuff. Thanks. 

Squelch is breaking.  Ironically there is another thread recently started on the same subject.  What kind of USB charger is that?  Try unplugging the iPad.  Try shutting off other equipment to isolate. If this is a new install, I think it is time to revisit the shop.  May have ground problems as well.  Didn't notice the GPS issue...did it occur on this flight?  I don't know that they are related, looked like both comma break squelch....likely a third piece of equipment causing it.

The noise started before the new equipment was installed. My instructor and I encountered the noise in Kansas back in April. Since then I have had the GNS530 sent to Garmin. They did a WAAS upgrade on it. I have replaced the transponder with a new GTX345 along with an altitude encoder/42K dual RS232 outputs.   I also replaced the audio panel with a new PS Engineering PMA 8000BT. My COM 2 is an old Garmin SL40. It was not replaced. When the noise starts it seems to not matter if you are on COM 1 or COM 2. The avionics technician bench tested the SL40 and GNS530 (before it was sent in for the WAAS upgrade) for noise. The new USB port is made by True Blue Power TA202 Series.  I had hoped this would solve the radio noise. Now, I not only still have radio noise but I also have the error messages popping up. 

I will try the solutions you have suggested as soon as I can find the time. Too many things going on for the next couple of days.  I really appreciate everyone's input. I think I will start with the settings page as you suggested    "Piloto". The iPad being plugged in is also something I will look at as "takair" said. "Carusoam" and "cbarry", talked about the RS232 #2 connection. That is the most consistent error message I get. Maybe it just needs reseating as suggested. 

Thanks Everyone.

Piloto's solution may well stop the indications, but it might also mask the real problem by setting the squelch threshold higher. 

Since your squelch was properly set at installation and it worked well for awhile, you might want to save this as a last resort solution.

The noise could impair the GPS receiver from getting the GPS signal and cause loss of GPS position message. Check if these events happen simultaneously. In an old plane is not unusual to have electrical noise generated by the generator, voltage regulators, inverters and others. Pull the circuit breakers of suspected sources to isolate the source. Also turn off any cell phone onboard.

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Got any LED lights anywhere? The overhead light in my C was replaced with a drop in LED bulb.  It’s bright white, so I never used it in flight.  A while back I was up at Show Low.  I had to return to the plane in the dark to get something out.  I turned on the overhead and then just shut off the master when I was done.  When we departed SOW a few days later, it was daylight.  Radio (430w) was fine till I got past about Roosevelt and just over the NE practice area and then it got very staticky, showing RX pretty much constant.  I could  receive OK, my transmit was still loud and clear just like yours.  Comm 2 (old narco) was just fine so I used that.  The light was on the whole flight but I didn’t notice in the bright daylight.  My next flight, the radio was fine.  And was fine for a few months.  At some point, i turned the light off, don’t know when.  About 2 weeks ago I flew up to Williams.  Radio was fine on the ground, but when I took off, the static started up again.  I switched to comm 2 and everything was fine.  

I just chalked it up to something loose and figured I’d get it looked at now that it had happened twice.  About halfway to Williams I noticed the overhead light was on.  The previous flight we had landed at night and I had the light on to unload.  I flipped it off without really thinking about it. Landed at Williams and when I left, I tried out comm1 again.  It was fine.  Then my brain kicked in and thought - what changed? And I remembered the light, so I flipped it on.  Radio was fine still.  Guess it wasn’t the light.

Coming into DVT I remembered that the static only happened near PHX.  Flippped the light on.  Instant static and showing RX on the 430.  Light off? Back to normal.

long story short, check your electrical.  Something in the plane is causing interference.