Hurricane Irma

Raptor05121

Even in a Cat 5?

Not trying to advocate on behalf of the insurance company but ultimately we the owners are paying higher premium when people put their aircraft in harm's way. I guess a hurricane is a little bit different than say tornadoes as you do get at least 72 hours of advance notice. With Irma the landfall is at least 5 to 7 days away.

You would need to read your policy to pick out the details.  They specify the details of how to get your money back.  Like expense reporting, include all the proper receipts...

Some policies give the option to relocate the plane, in place of them taking on the extra risk of having it sit through a storm.

This is a win/win for everyone involved, sort of...

When tying down outside, the biggest risk is everything that goes rolling across the field in the wind...and being tied next to improperly tied down planes... Lots of heavy junk powered by the wind starts to move

Bring extra rope to tie down your neighbor.  It looks friendly, while you are looking out for your own plane...  :)

High wing planes have a tendency to flip and flop in high winds...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

I wonder if they can argue, by not relocating, you are deliberately operating the aircraft in a harmful manner? 

No way can they make you move it. You could argue that with the impending storm you didn't feel it was safe, or you had a head cold or a headache or didn't feel up to it. They are giving you the option of moving it and covering up to a certain amount of expenses to move it but not requiring you to move it or else a claim in a storm would never be paid.

10 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

In the absence of regulation the insurance company can exclude whatever risk they want to. But what market is there for a policy with such an exclusion?  Some owners might accept it but I doubt any lenders would. Agreed, though. Tommy's hypothetical is out there. 

The market of owners - who live inland or are willing to relocate - looking for cheaper premium! I guess at the end of the day it's all depending on the contract. So pays to read the fine print carefully! 

But I guess one can understand the outrage of other owners who are footing the repair bills with higher premiums. Same goes with smokers and health insurance. 

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

Bring extra rope to tie down your neighbor.  It looks friendly, while you are looking out for your own plane...  :)

High wing planes have a tendency to flip and flop in high winds...

This opens up a can of worms! Do you help with tie down / moving other people's plane?

The other day I saw a tecnam single with the tail kissing the ground after some gusty wind. I think the tie down ropes were way too slack. I thought about moving the plane but I resisted because I wanted the owner to know and inspect the damage and I didnt want to risk the tail striking the ground the second time. Lastly, I didnt know if there is a CCTV nearby.

I am sure the owners will be appreciative of what you have done,Carusom, but is there enough of ground to accuse you tampering with their aircrafts?

Does Good Samaritan apply here?

I assume Good Samaritan covers part of it, but didn't think beyond protecting as many machines as possible with what I had available.

Works equally well with boats in gale force winds.  The ones backwards to the winds will sink as the waves come over the transom...

As we move toward the future, it is possible I may sit on my hands instead of helping out... that may be pretty far off still.

PP thoughts only, no legal advice intended...

Best regards,

-a-

On 9/2/2017 at 10:53 AM, LANCECASPER said:

No way can they make you move it. You could argue that with the impending storm you didn't feel it was safe, or you had a head cold or a headache or didn't feel up to it. They are giving you the option of moving it and covering up to a certain amount of expenses to move it but not requiring you to move it or else a claim in a storm would never be paid.

I agree. I have a family of four that wouldn't fit in the plane. No way I would leave them behind. 

Oh my. Irma does not look good.  I hope all of you in the way of this one protect yourself, families, pets and leave everything else to the insurance companies to sort out the rest. Perhaps a quick previously unplanned Mooney vacation westwards?

If Irma impacts Florida while moving westward, or south Florida moving west to northwest, where will she go next? That screenshot above looks like she will barely slow down, and keep plowing on somewhere . . . . I've been hit by the same hurricane twice on the NC coast, it slid up the coast past Virginia, went out to sea, performed a hammerhead stall, and came right back down the coast.

It's been a while, but Hugo came ashore as a Cat 5, wiped out a couple of small towns south of Myrtle Beach and plowed inland,  doing quite a nhmber on Charlotte. So I am curious, and a little concerned (it's too early to worry yet).

You just never know what Mother Nature will do . . . .

If Irma impacts Florida while moving westward, or south Florida moving west to northwest, where will she go next? That screenshot above looks like she will barely slow down, and keep plowing on somewhere . . . . I've been hit by the same hurricane twice on the NC coast, it slid up the coast past Virginia, went out to sea, performed a hammerhead stall, and came right back down the coast.
It's been a while, but Hugo came ashore as a Cat 5, wiped out a couple of small towns south of Myrtle Beach and plowed inland,  doing quite a nhmber on Charlotte. So I am curious, and a little concerned (it's too early to worry yet).
You just never know what Mother Nature will do . . . .

Don't forget Irma's little brother following behind her, this could be a double tap.

The interesting thing about multiple hurricanes in close formation....

1) the first one uses up so much of the energy (water temperature) the second one hasn't the same amount of energy to draw from.

2) The trailing edge of the first hurricane interferes with the leading edge of the second storm.

All that huge evaporation energy really powers the storm.  

Storms tend to track sources of warm water... including traveling up the Mississippi...

Thoughts on hurricane energy sources... take away or interfere with the energy, the storms can't develop as strong...

Best regards,

-a-

First any hangar that is inland in FL engineered and built to withstand 125MPH winds most likely will be fine excluding tornadoes just my humble opinion.  Rain flooding maybe another issue as in Houston.  However, if you plan on moving you plane sooner is better than latter.

You do not need to leave your family behind to move your plane.  Fly to the Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville area or similar and book a flight from there to the nearest airport by your home that has a non stop flight.  Tampa, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando many non stop flights where someone can pick you up in less than a couple of hours.