Hurricane Irma

Raptor05121

8 hours ago, fantom said:

WOW.......and we wonder why the factory isn't a thriving business.

Have you turned the plane over to anyone yet?

It's still in the hands of the insurer and we should have their decision within the next few days.

The insurance company sent someone from Air Services, Inc from nearby Carrollton to look her over to formulate an estimate. From what I've read, they are a highly reputable company.

The way I see it, this is going down in one of three ways.. 1) the insurance company pays for repairs (doubtful), 2) we call upon the insurer to pay the maximum amount they will shell out and the partners  make up the difference or 3) she's declared a total loss and we all walk away.

13 minutes ago, Bennett said:

I believe LASAR has at least one complete wing (252?) available at a lot less than $90,000.

I bet there are a lot of wings available, out and about.

Heck, many of them are attached to old M20's that are selling for a lot less than $90K, and they might even have a decent and usable prop.

I suggest you call Maxwell, flyboy. He has saved too many Mooney's to count!

Just now, fantom said:

I bet there are a lot of wings available, out and about.

Heck, many of them are attached to old M20's that are selling for a lot less than $90K, and they might even have a decent and usable prop.

I suggest you call Maxwell, flyboy. He has saved too many Mooney's to count!

The partners will be evaluating all options, even if we have to pay out of our own pockets to save her.

5 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I wonder what it would cost to ship it to GA and if the tanks are good. Sounds like a good deal, though. 

Jim

I got estimates of just under $2 per mile.  I was told the tanks were good, but there really isn't any way for anyone to know until they are tested. Of course all off this was before the change of ownership of LASAR.

As I understand it, Paul Lowen has retained ownership of some of the Aircraft large parts like wings, fuselages, etc. I’m sure a call to LASAR should get you in contact with Paul. I don’t know the dividing line re parts, but the good folks at LASAR are always helpful. For it is worth, I saw two complete wings at LASAR a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, DonMuncy said:

Don't forget the installation. Although I have no real knowledge, it is my understanding that de-installation and installation of a wing is terribly time consuming.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wing is going to need to be removed to transport the plane from its present position to wherever the insurance company wants it.

Dave at Air-mods stated that installation could take 200 hours.

4 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the wing is going to need to be removed to transport the plane from its present position to wherever the insurance company wants it.

That ties into what I have been told. It is less work to split the fuselage in half and transport it sideways than to remove and reinstall the wing. 

35 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

So we're at 15 AMU to buy a wing from LASAR, 4-5 to deliver it and almost 20 more for labor. That's about the same as a factory overhaul with R&R, and less than half the cost just to buy a new wing from Mooney. And should be well below your insurance limits, even the ~70% where they call it a total.

51 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Relative to the insurance limits this is not a terribly expensive repair if you can find the right guy to do the job where she currently sits.  

Not going to happen. It's in a hangar at a small private field in the middle of nowhere.

On 9/20/2017 at 10:21 PM, bluehighwayflyer said:

I know.  24 nautical miles from KATL. 

I know a A&P IA at Eagles landing who may be able to help.  He's a good man and a good mechanic. Pilot too. Also I'll send Eldon a pm on FB to look here.  

On 9/20/2017 at 12:25 PM, flyboy0681 said:

I met Eldon a few years ago when he was down here on vacation. I took him up and he was awestruck flying over the Everglades.

What's his site? 

"I remember that flight very well" Plus you showed me how easy it was to operate the GTN 750

eldon@eehomes.ca

780-975-8598

On 9/20/2017 at 7:50 PM, Hank said:

So we're at 15 AMU to buy a wing from LASAR, 4-5 to deliver it and almost 20 more for labor. That's about the same as a factory overhaul with R&R, and less than half the cost just to buy a new wing from Mooney. And should be well below your insurance limits, even the ~70% where they call it a total.

1 minute ago, jezzie said:

I just got off the phone with Don Maxwell and we discussed worst case scenario. The numbers that have been thrown around here on MS appear to be on the very low side. The whole process is much more involved and expensive than people think.

I don't want to part with the plane and will do everything within my power to see that she flies again. However, we (my partners and I) need to be practical, which means knowing when to walk away.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I just got off the phone with Don Maxwell and we discussed worst case scenario. The numbers that have been thrown around here on MS appear to be on the very low side. The whole process is much more involved and expensive than people think.

I don't want to part with the plane and will do everything within my power to see that she flies again. However, we (my partners and I) need to be practical, which means knowing when to walk away.

:unsure::o:(

5 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

With so many more used Js out there, one has to remain rational about it. Take solace in knowing that if your plane was pretty nice prior to the accident and you do walk away, it is likely your plane will fly again.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned air mods. These are really the guys to go to for heavy structural work such as taking off wings and such. They do this all the time. One guy on here they took his wing off took all the skin off of it changed both spars and put it back together and I think it's somewhere around 50 grand

• Like 1