Hurricane Irma

Raptor05121

1 minute ago, flyboy0681 said:

Let me ask this. If the carrier pays us in full, can we negotiate taking some of the equipment out for use in a replacement plane, such as the GTN 750?

I asked that question, and as expected, was told no.  When the salvage company comes to take your airplane, they check the logs to ensure everything that was installed at the time of the incident/accident, is included with the airplane as it is hauled away.

You can and get another wing off a salvage plane for 10-15k but a friend of mine got a quote to actually have it swapped and they wanted in excess of 60k.  His had TKS so there's that. But still, it's a ton of labor and you really want a J wing with the newer wing tips if you have that.  Converting that requires new outboard wing skins and ailerons. 

Just now, jetdriven said:

You can and get another wing off a salvage plane for 10-15k but a friend of mine got a quote to actually have it swapped and they wanted in excess of 60k.  His had TKS so there's that. But still, it's a ton of labor and you really want a J wing with the newer wing tips if you have that.  Converting that requires new outboard wing skins and ailerons. 

It's not going to be my decision. The insurer will hold all the cards. But good to know it's not an unusual question.

The decision whether to pay for repair or declare it a total loss is up to the insurance company. Generally they work on the premise that if the repair cost is 80% of more of the agreed value, they will pay the full value and sell the salvage. If it is close, very often your insurance broker will go to bat for you and try to sway them the way you prefer.

Since planes are insured with an agreed value that can range a 100% over nominal, i believe they estimate salvage value at 1/3 of their estimated blue book value for your plane. Then if repairs exceed the difference between their estimated salvage value and your insured value they write the check.  Policy may vary with the underwriter. A claims adjuster or broker wouldn't really know, but I bet an underwriter would share the specific details with any of their policy holders facing a total loss.  

11 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Since planes are insured with an agreed value that can range a 100% over nominal, i believe they estimate salvage value at 1/3 of their estimated blue book value for your plane. Then if repairs exceed the difference between their estimated salvage value and your insured value they write the check.  Policy may vary with the underwriter. A claims adjuster or broker wouldn't really know, but I bet an underwriter would share the specific details with any of their policy holders facing a total loss.  

Not scientific I know, but the appraiser found on the Mooneyflyer website shows a value of $116k. 

12 hours ago, Hector said:

Lost electrical power around 1:30 this morning. Wind and rain pretty bad and numerous flashes from transformers blowing. By sunrise most of he state of Florida will be without power. I'll be setting up my generator soon and when conditions make it possible will fly to Miami to check on my mother and sister. Lost contact with them yesterday as the phone
Iined are down too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hector are you flooded? I hope all is fine with you.

Yves

19 minutes ago, Tommy said:

It is indeed gut wrenching to see this happens - especially considering you were doing the right thing by relocating!

Can you negotiate with the underwriter and spend some of your own money towards the repair to avoid being written off?

That is on my list. But first we need for them to inspect.

• Like 1

There is no reason why you could not. I don't know whether insurance companies sell salvage planes by auction, or by an established relationship with salvage plane buyers. My guess would be they seek bids. If that is the case, you would have to make yourself very knowledgeable about how much you should bid.

Your policy may include coverage for an increase in value due to recent improvements, but there is a time limitation placed on this (you have to report the increased value to the insurance company within X days).

You can talk to your adjuster about buying back the aircraft salvage...but you need to be really confident in the repair estimates.

I'd personally take the check and go airplane shopping if it is deemed a total loss by your insurance company.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2017 at 8:57 AM, Piloto said:

KFXE ATIS indicates that airport is closed. So far my pool screens still holding. No signs of flooding.  Howling wind is now more consistent.

José

Something we californias never seen before...entire pools protected by bug screens ...until I rode a moter cycle in FL in may!!

Continuous conversation with your insurance contact is the best way to get the answers understood and swayed in the direction you want to go...

The MSC in NJ usually has a wing or two kept in stock.  He can ball park numbers pretty well while you are in the decision making process...

I recall him going through the process of helping a pilot who's nose of his plane got squashed... a firewall forward replacement can be very expensive... but the NJ MSC can generate some ideas and some costs in a brief conversation...

The NJ MSC is fully capable to haul the plane from where it is to where it needs to go... they normally take the wing off prior to shipping... :) a two fer!

Need a contact?  

I also looked up that airport...

https://www.airnav.com/airport/5GA2

gear up may have been a better choice.  Not an easy choice to make...  Glad everybody is still walking.

Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Wet grass is very slippery.  Dry grass can be slippery, too.

Sorry to hear of your loss.  :mellow:

Landing a Mooney, possibly at max gross weight (i.e. 3 on board) on a 1800' runway can result in an overrun even if it was paved.  Obviously don't know the pilot's short field experience, but that would push my limit. The no wind landing distance in the M20J POH I have, at 70F, shows a normal landing distance over a 50' obstacle of about 2100' on dry pavement.

I'm also surprised the damage did not require an NTSB report; no report on their web site so far.

• Like 1

I don't think I'd a attempt an 1800 foot field in my Mooney no matter what it was surfaced with.  For me I think that's something like 90% of the book landing distance under those conditions.  I'd go somewhere else.  Damn thing is a Mooney, it won't take long to get there.

• Like 2

I think someone on MS has a lot at Lyons landing.  Maybe he can clear up the confusion?

From Airnav.com:

Runway Information

Runway 9/27

Dimensions:  1800 x 100 ft. / 549 x 30 m
Surface:  turf
  RUNWAY 9    RUNWAY 27
Traffic pattern:  right   left
Displaced threshold:  600 ft.   no
Obstructions:  60 ft. trees, 200 ft. from runway   none

Airport Ownership and Management from official FAA records

1 hour ago, Mooneymite said:

From Airnav.com:

Runway Information

Runway 9/27

Dimensions:  1800 x 100 ft. / 549 x 30 m
Surface:  turf
  RUNWAY 9    RUNWAY 27
Traffic pattern:  right   left
Displaced threshold:  600 ft.   no
Obstructions:  60 ft. trees, 200 ft. from runway   none

Airport Ownership and Management from official FAA records

To add to the confusion, per definition a runway displacement is included in the published runway length.  Since 5GA2 lands to the east, and runway 9 is 1800' with a 600 ft displacement, the usable length for landing is only 1200' if the Airnav (FAA) data is actually correct.  Maybe someone will call the airport manager and find out if landing on runway 9 is 3000', 1800' or only 1200'.   Never mind;  landing is on RW27!  So the only question is 1800' vs 3000'.