Hurricane Irma

Raptor05121

Bill Gates Hurricane Killer idea.

http://www.askdeb.com/news/bill-gates-hurricane-killer/

My Killer idea.

Send a nuclear missile into the center of the hurricane and detonate it. The blast high pressure will convert the low pressure phenomena into a high pressure instantly, dissolving the hurricane. Trump may not do it but Kim Jong would not hesitate.

José

• Haha 1

Lost electrical power around 1:30 this morning. Wind and rain pretty bad and numerous flashes from transformers blowing. By sunrise most of he state of Florida will be without power. I'll be setting up my generator soon and when conditions make it possible will fly to Miami to check on my mother and sister. Lost contact with them yesterday as the phone
Iined are down too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is with great sadness that I report N1161Z suffered severe damage as it was being flown to safety. He and his two passengers walked away unscathed, but one of my two partners was flying it into a small private field near Carrollton, Georgia, the only place he could find available hangar space. He stated in the text that he came in too hot and overran the runway. The plane went into trees at the end of the runway and cut into both wings, miraculously missing the fuel tanks.  

I am absolutely heartbroken, but am grateful that all walked away without a scratch since the cabin wasn't touched at all. Now it's up to the insurance company to determine its fate. I'll update with the pictures after I deal with my other mess.

• Sad 9

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

It is with great sadness that I report N1161Z suffered severe damage as it was being flown to safety. He and his two passengers walked away unscathed, but one of my two partners was flying it into a small private field near Carrollton, Georgia, the only place he could find available hangar space. He stated in the text that he came in too hot and overran the runway. The plane went into trees at the end of the runway and cut into both wings, miraculously missing the fuel tanks.  

I am absolutely heartbroken, but am grateful that all walked away without a scratch since the cabin wasn't touched at all. Now it's up to the insurance company to determine its fate. I'll update with the pictures after I deal with my other mess.

Sorry to here about this, but so glad everyone on board is O.K.  THAT is what counts.

Some questions about insurance. Like most, I've had to deal with auto insurers over the years but not an aircraft. I believe we have $110k hull insurance, so does that mean we would get the full amount if it's a complete write-off or do we get that plus any recent investment in the plane, such as the overhaul which just passed 40 hours?

1 minute ago, flyboy0681 said:

Some questions about insurance. Like most, I've had to deal with auto insurers over the years but not an aircraft. I believe we have $110k hull insurance, so does that mean we would get the full amount if it's a complete write-off or do we get that plus any recent investment in the plane, such as the overhaul which just passed 40 hours?

$110k plus any recovery cost, less deductible.  If you did not increase declared value for the improvements, they are not covered.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Unfortunately, The maximum that you can get from the insurer is the agreed-upon hull  value as stated in the policy declarations. That is why it is important to get the agreed-upon value increased for any major improvements to the aircraft.  I am very sorry about the loss of your aircraft. 

15 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

It never hurts to ask.  My Mooney had just come out of annual when I had an incident causing a total loss.  During the annual, I had a Powerflow installed.  I did not report the exhaust install or increased value of the airplane to my insurance company until after the incident.  They worked with me, and for a $25.00 premium increase plus a copy of the invoice and log book entry, they sent me a check for my full insured amount, PLUS the cost of the Powerflow (about an extra $4k).   Lesson learned... always report that stuff to your insurance, as the benefit far outweighs the premium increase.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

What field?

3 hours ago, jasona900 said:

It never hurts to ask.  My Mooney had just come out of annual when I had an incident causing a total loss.  During the annual, I had a Powerflow installed.  I did not report the exhaust install or increased value of the airplane to my insurance company until after the incident.  They worked with me, and for a $25.00 premium increase plus a copy of the invoice and log book entry, they sent me a check for my full insured amount, PLUS the cost of the Powerflow (about an extra $4k).   Lesson learned... always report that stuff to your insurance, as the benefit far outweighs the premium increase.

May I ask what carrier that was?  That was above and beyond.  Pretty classey.  Carriers often get bad press for claims issues.  I am pleasantly surprised that they would go above the agreed limit amount.  I would not have thought to even ask this.  Good for you.

On 9/2/2017 at 9:53 AM, LANCECASPER said:

No way can they make you move it. You could argue that with the impending storm you didn't feel it was safe, or you had a head cold or a headache or didn't feel up to it. They are giving you the option of moving it and covering up to a certain amount of expenses to move it but not requiring you to move it or else a claim in a storm would never be paid.

Well . .  it turns out that they can't make you move it but they can charge a higher deductible if you don't. Here's the clause in my Global Policy:

HURRICANES: REPOSITIONING EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT AND AMENDED DEDUCTIBLE

Provided the aircraft is insured for physical damage coverage, the Special Provisions Endorsement (C002) has been amended to provide coverage for the reimbursement of certain expenses related to the repositioning of the aircraft from areas where Hurricane Watches orWarnings are in effect. Limits are $500 per hurricane or $1,000 per policy period. Aircraft that remain in areas affected by Hurricane Watches or Warnings will be subject to an increased not in motion deductible equal to 5% of the Insured Value. Please see endorsementC002 for the full text of this change.

6 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

May I ask what carrier that was?  That was above and beyond.  Pretty classey.  Carriers often get bad press for claims issues.  I am pleasantly surprised that they would go above the agreed limit amount.  I would not have thought to even ask this.  Good for you.

Starr Aviation Insurance (purchased through AOPA).   I dealt with one of the Starr adjusters directly, and he was exceptionally helpful throughout the entire process.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jasona900 said:

Starr Aviation Insurance (purchased through AOPA).   I dealt with one of the Starr adjusters directly, and he was exceptionally helpful throughout the entire process.  

Starr is who I have as well. My guess is it was under the 5k limit my policy has and might have been part of your paid coverage.  I'm glad it worked out for you.