Hurricane Irma

Raptor05121

2 minutes ago, 82Mike said:

Well at this point I have pretty much given up on 133DB.  She is in Tomlinson hanger in Ft. Myers (flood, tornado, wind) something will kill it.  I just hope my house makes it.

mike

We say it all the time, but your stuff can be replaced. Just make sure you and any sentimental items are safer!

I was down at Amelia Island waiting it out all this week, hoping for a significant turn to the west. But when they issued the mandatory evacuation order for yesterday (Friday) at 6pm we decided to come back home to Atlanta. So we took off at about 10:30 yesterday...and joined a seeming conga-line of aircraft beating a retreat out of Florida!  I swear, all the way from Jacksonville to Atlanta the radio was NON-STOP, could barely get a word in edgewise with passengers over the intercom. I've never heard it that busy; it was seriously like listening to controllers going into Sun-n-Fun or OSH, only for a full 250NM trip.  But now the plane is safe and sound, and the hurricane has indeed made it's jog to the west and it looks like Amelia will be spared the brunt of it.  I suspect the only casualty we'll have is the glass coffeetable-top that cracked when my wife was moving it away from the windows.  At least, that's my hope...fingers crossed.

Aerobridge.org is trying to get aircraft positioned to help with relief efforts once the storm passes.  Please sign up!

This 231 made multiple trips to Beaumont (KBPT) and Orange TX (KORG) delivering relief supplies.  Her bigger sister (Malibu Mirage) made multiple rescue trips to the Houston area.

Btw. its always amazing to me how much stuff can fit into our a/c......a pallet full in this case!

Fly safe and GODSPEED

231NJ ORG1.JPG

231NJ ORG2.JPG

231NJ ORG3.JPG

• Like 1

Operation airdrop is also gearing up for Irma. Join their Facebook group or email to airdropdto@gmail.com    

420 lbs fits in a J model before it cubes out. The folding rear seats in later models and removing the copilot seat can get even more. 

IMG_0933.JPG

0D243731-941A-4840-BBF8-D4B1C9062E47.jpg

CF3B040E-8C58-4487-A69F-3B8F1E21EED0.jpg

Thanks Jetdriven....I should have mentioned Operation Airdrop too....great bunch of guys based at my homebase and I signed up with them too.  I am very proud of our flying fraternity in this hour of need.  I remember feeling helpless during Katrina and being refused permission to land in NOLA.  We tried to get both our TX Senators involved but to no avail.  Pilots and their planes made a BIG difference in TX and I hope we do the same in FL.

• Like 1

I was almost on a little island in Europe.  Had to scurry back to ATH and come home to prep for the storm.

The most annoying thing about Irma right now is that it has effectively stuck me unable to continue airplane shopping... for at least a week or two.

I'll be glad to see it pass us.

1 hour ago, Firebird2xc said:

The most annoying thing about Irma right now is that it has effectively stuck me unable to continue airplane shopping... for at least a week or two.

You precious little snowflake. Everyone evacuating FL would like to personally apologize to you for the inconvenience this is causing you and how it may delay your airplane purchase as much as a week or two . .  just kidding, I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it came across. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Operation airdrop is also gearing up for Irma. Join their Facebook group or email to airdropdto@gmail.com    

420 lbs fits in a J model before it cubes out. The folding rear seats in later models and removing the copilot seat can get even more. 

IMG_0933.JPG

0D243731-941A-4840-BBF8-D4B1C9062E47.jpg

CF3B040E-8C58-4487-A69F-3B8F1E21EED0.jpg

Good job, Byron! But can I just say your photos give me few cringes. Not meaning to pick a fight but just out of genuine concerns for you who was clearly eager to deliver as much as possible in one hit. 

1) Loose item in the back seat. There is one water bottle sitting almost right behind you - a potential heavy flying object. 

2) Big item sitting in the co-pilot seat unrestrained. I am certain that you had checked the travel of your control before took off but that's with the box sitting stationary. 

3) Loose item in the foot well to trap your rudder or knock a few things loose. If those spaghetti cans or that PVC pipe get stuck in your rudder paddle, I wonder if you have the reach and power  to move it? 

Thanak for noticing. The copilot seat was removed. Yes there is increased risk of something jamming the controls, to mitigate  I had a heavy toolbag forward of the  cargo in the footwell.  And those dog food cans were still shrink wrapped. Yes in the event of a forced landing the all that stuff is going to come forward and you're basically screwed. No way around that. It's the increased risk you assume doing something to help others.  This was the second revenue leg of the day and it was dead smooth so I loaded it more.  I did moverjet books, the PVC fuel tool, and the water to the floor against the wheel well for landing  

The funny thing is most of that stuff was maternity clothes, diapers, and dog food. I never had kids and I'm not a dog person. Just the right time for god to punish me. Maybe next time. 

Edited by jetdriven

[quote

Went flying and after an hour I noticed my voltage was getting low. Went from 14.0v on takeoff down to 9.5v by the time I landed. I tried to start it and the battery was dead. I swear I cannot catch a break. I'm hoping its just the voltage regulator.

Alex, do you have an alternator or a generator. If a generator and it's going bad I have one you can have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Be careful, you're starting to get close to politics.

Clarence

Fair enough.

I suppose there's enough wind around without adding politics to the bluster.  Just got a tornado warning in the NE quadrant that said to take immediate shelter.

Then it got REALLY scary and the power flickered- NO WIFI!  :blink:

I also am pretty sure I just saw my ex wife fly by on a bicycle...

(Hopefully nobody takes any of this too seriously... My lame humor is just helping me pass the time.)

IMG_6582.PNG

10 hours ago, Hector said:

[quote

Went flying and after an hour I noticed my voltage was getting low. Went from 14.0v on takeoff down to 9.5v by the time I landed. I tried to start it and the battery was dead. I swear I cannot catch a break. I'm hoping its just the voltage regulator.

Alex, do you have an alternator or a generator. If a generator and it's going bad I have one you can have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a relatively new PlanePower alternator (2013 IIRC). I'm just going to send it out for IRAN

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I have a relatively new PlanePower alternator (2013 IIRC). I'm just going to send it out for IRAN

Before you send it, please check your field wire when you get the cowling off.  Most common cause of a charging failure.  Cheapest fix, too.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

That's because there isn't a hell of a lot in the Everglades. Hopefully by the time it makes it up the west coast to Naples where the development really starts it will have lost a lot of its energy. It looks like the Keys took a pretty hard hit.

Jim

They did.  I'm certainly not saying that it's a big nothing, but I don't think we're going to see a repeat of Houston.  That's my hope anyhow.

19 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

You precious little snowflake. Everyone evacuating FL would like to personally apologize to you for the inconvenience this is causing you and how it may delay your airplane purchase as much as a week or two . .  just kidding, I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it came across. 

Guess sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet.  Mea culpa.

• Haha 1