Hurricane Irma

Raptor05121

Anyone in the Orlando area taking their plane north out of harms way?  If so, two friends of ours are going to be stranded there because SW cancelled their flights for Saturday and there isn't anything available.  They are going to PVD, but honestly anywhere north where they could get to a commercial hub would probably work.

18 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'm sure he was the first to bug out on his G550. In all this mess I did learn something, I always thought the satellite image colors were water content.

Unlike the NOAA crew who risk their own life flying right into one...

39 minutes ago, Boilermonkey said:

Anyone in the Orlando area taking their plane north out of harms way?  If so, two friends of ours are going to be stranded there because SW cancelled their flights for Saturday and there isn't anything available.  They are going to PVD, but honestly anywhere north where they could get to a commercial hub would probably work.

I'm back up and running. Is Jacksonville or Tallahassee doing flights? I can go pick them up tomorrow if they cant drive it

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I -75N to I-10E

21369128_10155716619009640_5330315711336

21371082_10155716619159640_2425335064217

Went flying and after an hour I noticed my voltage was getting low. Went from 14.0v on takeoff down to 9.5v by the time I landed. I tried to start it and the battery was dead. I swear I cannot catch a break. I'm hoping its just the voltage regulator.

Had the same issue In a Cherokee.   Turned out to be the alternator.  

• Like 1

I would've thought if it's battery the voltage in-flight should be pretty constant and it's hard to fathom how battery can fail so rapidly over a single flight. From holding enough of charge to start your plane to not able to after a flight.

Am glad you got out but now you get to spend your unplanned holiday fixing an electrical issue. 

You know what they say: "No rest for the wicked!" :ph34r:

ps. watch Mike Busch's EAA webinar on how to troubleshoot a electrical problem. The key is not to replace anything (especially alternator) unless you are 99% sure that's the problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbridges said:

My son was lucky. Flew to Atlanta, took a shuttle to middle GA.  my brother left the Orlando area 8 hours ago and is still 2 hours out. I75 is jammed. He's taking back roads to get back to my house. 

My partner flew ours up to Atlanta. One less thing to worry about. Now I just have to pray my roof stays attached.

47 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I would've thought if it's battery the voltage in-flight should be pretty constant and it's hard to fathom how battery can fail so rapidly over a single flight. From holding enough of charge to start your plane but not able to after a flight.

Am glad you got out but now you get to spend your unplanned holiday fixing an electrical issue. 

You know what they say: "No rest for the wicked!" :ph34r:

ps. watch Mike Busch's EAA webinar on how to troubleshoot a electrical problem. The key is not to replace anything (especially alternator) unless you are 99% sure that's the problem. 

Excellent. I was going to ask how to identify the difference between the two, thanks

Spent he day boarding up my house and then started on Mom's place. Will finish hers up tomorrow. Forecast to be Category 3 when it hits my area, late Sunday night and early Monday morning. Should be an interesting night. Best of luck to you, your families and your airplanes in getting through this storm.

1 hour ago, Tony Armour said:

Looks like we may have high winds in Dalton Ga KDNN but I have several bedrooms and I believe one hangar if anyone is in need. I'm at the triple tree fly-in (South Carolina) but back home tomorrow. I wish everyone the best of luck.

Hopefully not too windy. Joey has my plane in his hangar. 

21 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Although we are not out of the woods yet, it appears the east coast will be spared. We are still expected to have 100mph winds as the outer bands whip around.

Technically speaking, the European model turned out to be the most accurate.

Crazy how much variability there was between the different models. I know a lot goes into predicting, but I could have hand drawn a path that would have been close to one of the projections. 

14 minutes ago, rbridges said:

Crazy how much variability there was between the different models. I know a lot goes into predicting, but I could have hand drawn a path that would have been close to one of the projections. 

There are going to be people who say the National Hurricane Center did not get this right, but to me they were spot on as far out as a week ago, off by about 100 miles on a journey that started off from the west coast of Africa. 

• Like 3