Hurricane Irma

Raptor05121

2 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Best place is South and West of landfall, weakest side of the storm 

I found out a few years ago that the best place to be when a hurricane is hitting your home in NC, is watching it on TV in St. Louis.

This educational message was brought to you by my former employer, who stretched my 3 day business trip to 8 days, getting me home afterwards instead of before. Thankfully my girlfriend was able to clean up my yard as the rain was starting, and she still doesn't let me forget it--we've been married 17 years now . . . . 

• Like 2

As the season gets longer, the Hurricanes have a tendency to come in further North...

At the end of the season, they fail to even make land fall...

Unfortunately they don't have a calendar they follow... :)

201er has demonstrated how to leave Florida out the bottom end a couple of times...

I find visiting a city like Chicago helpful when the hurricanes come up the coast.  Get instructions from the insurance company for what is allowed, expense-wise...

Use caution when waiting too long to depart... even when IFR, ATC can set you up heading for the storm while trying to get you into the system. Be hyper aware of the weather in this case...  have all the onboard weather you can get.

PP thoughts only.

Best regards,

-a-

Wait till you have a wife and kids to add to your relo challenges...

There are some really cool museums and stuff in various cities you need to know about in advance.

Your work is more critical than mine ever was...  the offices shut down, nobody went to work...

How do you get to plan time off when a hurricane is coming?

Thinking out loud...

-a-

2 hours ago, kpaul said:

If one comes to the area, my plane will likely ride it out in the hangar as I will have to move the governments airplanes.  My family would have to evacuate on their own.

KP,

I know what planes you fly for the government, if you need help moving 'em just let me know.  I flew one on a simulator once and I'll schedule a night in a holiday in express on the way there.  Should be good to go!

Ron

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I just e-mailed my agent. If I do relocate, I have to do it beforehand. I work with the EOC so if we do get hit, I'm likely sleeping in a cot in a government building before, during, and after

You can always ride it out at our place if coming to central GA helps. 

I will offer up a space in my hangar, if anyone needs it. Easy to fit another plane into and we have a Mooney factory-trained mechanic on the airport. Evacuate and get an annual!

But seriously, I have space for a plane, people, cats, and dogs -and a couple of horses if you want to drive them up. My family lives in Bay City, Texas and Rosharon, Texas (20 miles South of Houston). I could not live with myself if I didn't offer shelter to whoever needs it. I know my family has been the recipient of kindness from others in the past weeks.

• Like 6