Interior Refurbishment Resource Thread

Marauder

40 minutes ago, carusoam said:

As n approaches infinity... can be simulated nicely using a turbine... lots o blades...

affordability being a function of time... I would need a very long term to make it affordable.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

turbo-fan - then dollars approaches infinity too.

Nah, 4 is as high as I'll ever go.

• Like 1

For what it is worth, I have a pair of Ovation ceiling panels (left and right) left over from my rebuild.  My entire interior is an Ovation style interior with parts coming from a 1998 Ovation.  I bought the Left and Rgt ceiling panels before I got my hands on the Ovation parts, so I have an extra set. They will solve the problem of the interior not matching the 201 windshield if someone did that conversion.  You can do anything with fiberglass so they are a good medium to retrofit a new ceiling into a Vintage Mooney.  I have some pictures posted.   They may be the start of a new interior for someone with the initiative.

John Breda

For what it is worth, I have a pair of Ovation ceiling panels (left and right) left over from my rebuild.  My entire interior is an Ovation style interior with parts coming from a 1998 Ovation.  I bought the Left and Rgt ceiling panels before I got my hands on the Ovation parts, so I have an extra set. They will solve the problem of the interior not matching the 201 windshield if someone did that conversion.  You can do anything with fiberglass so they are a good medium to retrofit a new ceiling into a Vintage Mooney.  I have some pictures posted.   They may be the start of a new interior for someone with the initiative.
John Breda

John - be interested in seeing what you have. How did you deal with the plenum and vents?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

For the diy'ers I pulled my interior, refurbished the plastics, replaced the carpet, and redid the sidewall decorative appointments. Also did 208B, refinished the zinc chromate on the tubular, ran a few wires and coax cables and pulled some orphan wire in the same project.  Oh and replaced the side windows and wing root fairing tape (seals) too.  

I believe I used colorbond with a coat of krylon clear over it. 

Carpet from Mohawk.  

Inhave a couple of interior plastic pieces that are still so shot and brittle that I either need to replace or significantly repair.  Recovering and refoaming  the seats are the next project once I get the sewing machine unpacked.  

cechaflo is the man on the youubes that will teach you upholstery techniques.  

https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=cechaflo

Details in this thread:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. As some of you know, I have been in communication with Bruce Jaeger concerning using his Spatial Designs approach. As I expressed with Bruce, I’m not a big fan of repairing 45 year old plastic. Why? Because I have watched cracks start new places every year. IMHO fixing plastic is a temporary fix.

I am going to try a novel approach. I have agreed in principle to have Bruce do the lower half with his approach and am actively seeking a shop to install new top plastic. I have spoken to Shane at Air Mods and I know Mooney supplied Ovation top interior pieces would work. John Breda also confirmed he has used Ovation parts. The other option is using Plane Plastics. I was at a shop on Friday and noted the PP Cessna parts they were working with. It is clear their parts are copies of original parts and not made from the original molds. Not sure if this is true for Mooney supplied parts. From what I can tell, PP parts will need a fair amount of trimming and fitting.

Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Just a quick update. As some of you know, I have been in communication with Bruce Jaeger concerning using his Spatial Designs approach. As I expressed with Bruce, I’m not a big fan of repairing 45 year old plastic. Why? Because I have watched cracks start new places every year. IMHO fixing plastic is a temporary fix.

I am going to try a novel approach. I have agreed in principle to have Bruce do the lower half with his approach and am actively seeking a shop to install new top plastic. I have spoken to Shane at Air Mods and I know Mooney supplied Ovation top interior pieces would work. John Breda also confirmed he has used Ovation parts. The other option is using Plane Plastics. I was at a shop on Friday and noted the PP Cessna parts they were working with. It is clear their parts are copies of original parts and not made from the original molds. Not sure if this is true for Mooney supplied parts. From what I can tell, PP parts will need a fair amount of trimming and fitting.

Any thoughts?

The thin plastic, even if you put new in, gets brittle, yellows and cracks. The only success I've had is having it repaired and covered. I had the plastic in one Mooney covered with Eurostretch which is a weave type of fabric - it was ok but gets discolored and soiled easily, The Ultraleather that Aero Comfort uses to cover the plastic panels seems to hold up extremely well. I have seen the kind of shape that some of those panels arrive at Hector's and when they leave it rivals any new airplane interior.

I think it depends on how bad your current plastic is. I thought the repairs went quite well myself.

IMG_3754.thumb.JPG.56fdd626edb31a0f0d92b7ae14fb2352.JPG

The thin plastic, even if you put new in, gets brittle, yellows and cracks. The only success I've had is having it repaired and covered. I had the plastic in one Mooney covered with Eurostretch which is a weave type of fabric - it was ok but gets discolored and soiled easily, The Ultraleather that Aero Comfort uses to cover the plastic panels seems to hold up extremely well. I have seen the kind of shape that some of those panels arrive at Hector's and when they leave it rivals any new airplane interior.

How long have you both had your interiors installed? I was warned that ultraleather does fail over time. I have seen aged Eurostretch and Lance you’re right, it’s ugly when it ages.

Any sense of weight increase with wrapping?

What was interesting was how thick the Plane Plastic was compared to the Royalite I saw.

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

How long have you both had your interiors installed? I was warned that ultraleather does fail over time. I have seen aged Eurostretch and Lance you’re right, it’s ugly when it ages.

Any sense of weight increase with wrapping?

What was interesting was how thick the Plane Plastic was compared to the Royalite I saw.

It didn't take long for me to realize that the Eurostretch was a mistake - if you made eye contact with it, it got dirty.

I've only had the Ultraleather in this airplane less than two years, but I've seen it in airplanes that were ten years old that still looked great. My IA weighed all of the stuff I took out and then the new carpet and panels after they were recovered - he said it was negligible. I didn't argue with him. We didn't account for all of the Cheerios and Chex Mix that were removed that were under the carpet and trim wheel plastic. Personally I think you probably add 5-10 pounds with the Ultraleather, but in the grand scheme of things that's a gallon or two of avgas.

• Like 1

On the EuroStretch staining issue, I have had that all inside mine.  I replaced the carpet and found the ugly stained Eurostrech was terrible.

I found some fabric paint that seems to have solved my problem, see these before and after pictures:

(these are not the same picture, frame, but you can see the color diff on the EuroStetch panels)

The product I used was sourced from the "aviation section" at my local O'Reilly autoparts: Dupli-Color Vinyl And Fabric Paint

IMG_20170901_180341.jpg

IMG_20170913_105050.jpg

• Like 1

Somebody showed painting carpet fibers earlier...

The type of plastic used may make a difference.

PP technology has improved since the 80s. Himont sold polypropylene to Ford and Toyota back in the day for interior panels...

PP and extrusion didn't begin until y2k.... so thermoformed parts took a while to become popular... PP can be easy to scratch.  So rough textured surfaces are popular.

A lot of 64oz big gulp cups are extruded and thermoformed to a deep draw. 10:1 draw ratio, pretty thin and nicely rigid, (sort of).  3D Shape is responsible for rigidity of panels.

ABS yellows with time.  PP is more stable.  Both need flame retardants compounded in...

PP (private pilot) with a polymer background.

Best regards,

-a-

Buy your stuff at the air show. Vantage has all the plastic panels. Get a bunch and ask for an additional discount.  Airtex has the leather, cushions, side panels and carpet. Just do it yourself and you'll learn a lot about your airplane. PM me if you have questions.