G-1000 range knob problem

Filippo

Good evening,

i'm having a problem with the range knob on pfd. If you push it the arrow comes out  and you can move it around, but if you try to rotate it to change the inset range, the knob rotates but no changing in zoom, is there a procedure to clean it or is one of those things that requires the change of the entire unit?

thanks

filippo

Just to clarify your question, are you talking of changing scale while in cursor mode? Using the range knob on the PFD? I don't think you can do that simultaneously (on the MFD at any rate). You can either work the cursor, or change the scale. I'll verify next time I go flying.

I have never tried what you describe (going to cursor mode) on the PFD inset. Only on the MFD screen. I'll have to try that next time I go to the airport as well.

Can't answer your question on fixing G1000 knobs/buttons, haven't been many posts on that topic as I recall.

Good luck!

Robert

My range knob exhibited similar behavior on the MFD. Unfortunately the only fix seems to be to swap out the whole unit (e.g. your PFD) from Garmin. They have a standard $1500 fee for this, plus a bit of your avionics shop time. I tried very hard to see if there was a less expensive fix and was told "no."

The range knob is a plastic "thimble" of sorts that is covered in a glued on rubber cover.  The plastic knob can crack which causes it to spin on the metal joystick.  At least this is what happened to mine.  I bet you can pull it off if it is cracked. Try swapping the knob with the MFD temporarily.  Get with a Garmin dealer to order a set of knobs for $110 I think.  You have to buy a full set for either a PFD or MFD.

Russ

The switch is not broken or cracked and when you rotate it feels normal, you can feel the normal clicking like on the mfd, it just not change the zoom level of the inset. If you push it the cursor comes on normally and you can move it around, it's just the rotating function that doesn't work properly.... I thought you could clean the contact but apparently seems like that is not a solution.... so bummer bummer bummer.... I guess I will not change the zoom level on the pad for a while.... until needed to replace the unit for some other major malfunction!!!

bummer

1 hour ago, Filippo said:

The switch is not broken or cracked and when you rotate it feels normal, you can feel the normal clicking like on the mfd, it just not change the zoom level of the inset. If you push it the cursor comes on normally and you can move it around, it's just the rotating function that doesn't work properly.... I thought you could clean the contact but apparently seems like that is not a solution.... so bummer bummer bummer.... I guess I will not change the zoom level on the pad for a while.... until needed to replace the unit for some other major malfunction!!!

bummer

Don't mean to be nosey but what do you zoom on the PFD?

• 2 weeks later...